Noble Class: Black Company vs. Noble's Handbook

Garnfellow

Explorer
I've been going through Green Ronin's excellent Black Company book, and I'm intrigued by the Noble class. Is this substantially the same class as presented in the Noble's Handbook? Any notable differences?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
You might want to check out the The Noble's Handbook website. I highly doubt that the Black Company Campaign Setting includes anything beyond the basic noble class. The Nobles Handbook includes PrCs, feats, rules for duels, rules on integrating nobles into any campaign and expanded rules for followers.

Last edited:

Garnfellow

Explorer
Frukathka said:
You might want to check out the The Noble's Handbook website. I highly doubt that the Black Company Campaign Setting includes anything beyond the basic noble class. The Nobles Handbook includes PrCs, feats, rules for duels, rules on integrating nobles into any campaign and expanded rules for followers.

I think that's correct based on my understanding of the Noble's Handbook. And my understanding is largely derived from EnWorld reviews. (Which were all three stars, I believe.) I'm wondering more about the class itself -- whether anything was significantly changed.

Last edited:

RodneyThompson

First Post
No, it is not the same. It's similar in many respects, and you might get some use out of the Noble's Handbook if you're playing a Black Company game. I don't have BC yet, but Rob told me that he was inspired by my noble class (in the NHB) when writing BC's noble.

rjs

First Post
Noble vs. Noble

The Black Company noble is a re-envisioning of the bard base class, a character who can modify others' behavior through her personality, force of will, and subtle manuevering. When building this class, I looked long and hard at Rodney's noble, which was also an inspiration for my own Cavalier (http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1307), but, while the classes share some similarities, there are key differences. We opted not to incorporate the Noble House system for space and also b/c since the Lady emerged from the Barrowlands, she eradicated much of the formal feudal structures that filled the power vacuum after the fall of the Domination. There are other mechanical differences as well.

The Noble's Handbook, however, is a neat resource and if you want to expand your Black Company game, I think you'll find several cool nuggets in that MC book (like the Commander, Master Diplomat, Mastermind PrCs, and many of the feats, such as Black Market Bargain, Discrete Reputation, and others). Forgive my pimping :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
There seem to be a lot more Noble character classes out there than just those two aforementioned sources. Recently, Guardians of Order offered a Noble class as a downloadable preview for A Game of Thrones RPG.

Last edited:

Remove ads