Poll: How much interest in a new gaming e-zine?

Would you subscribe to a new gaming e-zine?

• As long as it looked good, I'd probably subscribe.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I'd wait to hear what other people said before subscribing.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I wouldn't subscribe unless it was written by famous game authors.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I wouldn't subscribe no matter what it was like.

Votes: 1 10.0%

I'm posting this thread to find out how much interest there would be in a new gaming e-zine. I need to find out if there would be enough interest in an e-zine like this to pay for the web space and to offer contributors some kind of reasonable remuneration for their efforts. If you have any opinion on whether you'd be interested on subscribing to an e-zine like that or not, and what would influence your decision, please vote in the poll and post a few comments.

Each issue of the e-zine would include (but not necessarily be limited to):

New OGL spells, magic items, or similar material.

An OGL sci-fi section with new technological items, aliens, etc.

Articles describing 2 - 4 new, OGL monsters.

One or more new prestige classes.

A short story or two in the fantasy or science-fiction genre.

Reviews of games and stuff of interest to gamers.

As many cartoons as are submitted and meet the standards (and yes, the e-zine would pay for cartoons as well as stories and articles).

A serialized campaign setting which could be used as is or just as an 'idea mine.'

Many thanks for the input :D ! It's appreciated!

Roudi

First Post
The e-zine described was awfully close to MODERNIZED, a free e-zine dedicated to Modern and Future gaming that I just happen to publish.

To give you the numbers: Issue #1 of MODERNIZED has had 1577 hits as of present date. Issue #2 has had 926 hits as of present date. For a free PDF published with no budget, composed of volunteer submissions, the involvement of relatively few "big names", and promoted primarily through word of mouth and a banner in my signature... those numbers are none too shabby.

With a budget, some talent involved, a decent and fair subscription price, and some worthwhile content, a for-pay e-zine could definitely work. We at MODERNIZED would certainly be interested in aiding such an enterprise (though MODERNIZED itself will remain free as long as I'm its publisher), so drop a line at MODERNIZED@IntrepidHeroes.com if you desire.

Before I end this post: I can't seem to be able to vote in the poll. Anyone know why this is?

To answer in the order in which the posts were posted: ;)

Gaming Frontiers -- will have to check it out.

Yes, this would be an e-zine that you'd have to pay a subscription fee for. Trying to put edibles on the table for me and the lady ;) ... but I'll sure be making sure that anyone who subscribes gets their money's worth.

Steve Jackson's magazine still seems to be going ... at least, the website's still up. However, this would be heavily, but not exclusively, D20. Fiction, cartoons, reviews, generalized articles that could be used in a lot of different systems would all have their place too. And, if it could be done without cutting down on the D20 stuff, I'd be happy to include other systems or variant rules as well.

And, Roudi, many thanks for your kind offer -- I won't turn down any advice or input that you have, in fact it will be accepted gratefully. I'll write you an e-mail -- look for one with the title "E-zine Idea," it's not spam ;) ! And, it seems odd that you can't vote :confused: ... unfortunately, I at least can't imagine why it doesn't work.

Krug

Newshound
Mastiff: That would be Pyramid, which is their e-zine for all systems. They used to publish a D20 magazine that was called D20 weekly I believe. I think you might stll be able to look through it if you're a subscriber to Pyramid.

Ghostwind

First Post
GMG, I don't want to sound like I am bursting your bubble but subscription fees for zines have never worked in the past (with the exception of SJG's Pyramid). When I was producing and publishing d20Zine!, I had more than one publisher approach me about turning it into a magazine that people would pay for. The market research came back very much in the negative and it was decided it was a losing proposition. Examples of magazines that have tried this and failed are Steve Jackson Games' d20 Weekly and more recently, Silven Crossroads' d20 Filtered. If you are looking to develop a zine, fantastic! But the realities of this industry suggest it will not make any money for you. I would suggest instead that you offer a free magazine but solicit manufacturers for ads and charge them a very reasonable rate. That way, you get some income for your efforts. This comes from a person who has had some solid experience in the zine publishing field, including the forthcoming launch of another free zine called Dice & Drama. :)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'd like a d20 magazine that gave me accessories, such as cardstock tools, to use on a monthly basis. I think it would be major cool to have a handful of new Ed Bourelle dungeon tiles delivered to my door every month or two. Other accessories could include poster-size battlemats of portions of published adventures, or cardstock tools like Dragon did many moons ago with the Deck of Many Things.

Steve - you're an expert in this area - would it be economically feasible to do something like this if the "magazine" portion of the magazine was 80-100% advertisements? Kind of like a "Computer Shopper" magazine for RPGs. I'd love a magazine that was all (or mostly) previews of items to come from multiple companies that gave small blurbs on each product (and in full color) all in one place.

I don't know how many share this sentiment (and maybe I'm the only one :eek: ), but part of the joy I have in reading Dragon is viewing the advertisments for cool-looking products coming from various publishers. Heck, many times the advertisements are more interesting than the articles to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads