Neverwinter Nights beta test.

Ysgarran

From the front page of http://www.betatests.net/
SITE NEWS
4-23-02
37,000 registered in the first 24-hours!
Okay so we've got load balancing to help with Monday's surge of people trying to register after the Neverwinter Nights beta test announcement was made. We are currently limiting the load to 250 simultaneous users and may go up from there in the future.

It strikes me that they were totally unprepared from the number of responses that they got for the beta test.

Does anyone know if the number of 37,000 registered users really is much more than they expected? Does this bode well for the Neverwinter Nights? It might be a two edged sword. If the initial release NWN is bug ridden that many more people will be annoyed....

novyet

First Post
I think they just didn't expect to be flooded with that many people in a matter of hours. Of course the high volume of people awaiting this game, as well as it's posting on several high profile websites, didn't hurt also. As for the the stress on the servers, well only time will tell on that. Hopefully they have a good deal of the bugs out already.

BTW did you register ysgarran? I know I did! :D

WizarDru

Adventurer
This IS a Beta test, remember. It's SUPPOSED to be buggy. That's the point. Players are supposed to be helping them test the software. 250 users is a good starting number for testing. That Beta tests have become as much a marketing tool as an actual method of testing is somewhat problematic, as it might set up the wrong expectations of the testers, who may view it as a 'sneak peek', when it's not quite finished, yet.

It does speak well for the commercial viability of NWN, if it ever was in doubt. My experience has been invaraibly that any piece of software that has been worked on this long, with a dedication to getting right, will usually be huge when it arrives (and I'm thinking of things like Half-Life and Starcraft, here). Not always, but usually.

Ysgarran

Understood and agreed about the beta test.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I did mean when the actual release comes out not the beta test.

I am not sure how they could support that many beta testers though. IF they can handle that many (37,000) they should work out all the bugs.

Ysgarran.

p.s.
Yes, I did sign up. I asked them to take a look at my wife's book as proof that I know about testing software. ;)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...45319/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1_1/104-0750221-5755901

edge3343

First Post
You mean support that number of users on their servers as an online game?

If so...
From what I understand NWN is not going to have one centralized server like other Massively Multiplayer games. As far as I know NWN isn't truely Massively Multiplayer at all. Servers are going to be run by user DMs who creat worlds, dungeons, on their own systems and host games that way....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases