Plant Growth/Production (fr. Common Commoner)

taliesin15

First Post
on that thread there was some talk about increased production--it made me wonder something--in urban areas one always sees stuff in the rules and guidelines like a town of this size needs this many acres of farmland to support it, etc.

here's my question: would this be in *addition* to surrounding villages, thorps and hamlets--I mean would a town have x amount of acreage solely devoted to food for that city, or is this assuming all the nearby villages, etc are simply sending much of their resources to the fortified urban area in form of taxes and local economic activity (the trickle up effect)--because if there is land for ranches and farms for the city/town itself, I'm wondering where do the commoners live, in the city?

Seems to me in both RL situations and most fantasy situations the large urban area relies on peasants in nearby villages...of course then there's Tolkien...Minas Tirith is surrounded by miles of farms and ranches and barns "oast and garner" which get spoiled by the hosts of Mordor...who knows how dwarves and elves feed themselves...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I tend to assume that the 'population' of a given Urban center includes the various hamlets and villages that surround it and provide it with peasant labour so a city with say 50000 population might have 20000 in the city proper and an additional 30000 in the surrounding district

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases