Son of a lich :)

Azazu

First Post
I am looking for good ideas and tips on running a lich. I will have one as a BBEG in an upcoming session and am hoping to tap into the mighty ENWORLDS database of a$$ whopping.

The lich is a 15th level cleric - with the Evil and Death domains.

I was looking at the spell Antimagic field and was thinking that this is the best spell in the world for him to cast, as it makes his DR amazing (15/bludeoning and magic)

Can anyone eleborate on that spell, as I am not sure as to its effects (would a disintegrate penetrate it or would it fizzile as its border)???

thanks

UltimaGabe

First Post
Very basically, no magic whatsoever functions within the Antimagic field. That means any spells cast at him fail (as the field blocks all line of effects), all magic items become nonmagical while inside the field, all spells and spell-like effects (including all supernatural abilities) are suppressed and don't function inside the field.

This is good and bad for the lich- no spells can be cast at him, though he can't cast spells out of it either. It provides him physical protection too, as any weapon or armor brought into the field temporarily loses any enhancement bonus (so enemies' ACs will be lower, as well as their attack bonuses), but I'd be very inclined to say that his DR (at least, the /magic part of it) doesn't function in the Antimagic field as well. According to the Monster Manual, some DR is Extraordinary (meaning that it still operates in an Antimagic Field), whereas other DR is Supernatural (meaning that it doesn't work in an Antimagic Field). No distinction is given as to what's what, though, but it would be unfair to let someone keep /magic DR in an area where no +1 weapon could possibly exist.

Anyway, although it wouldn't be a bad idea for a Lich (as Liches still have considerable power without magic, if I'm not mistaken), I don't think it would be the best idea, considering that magic is kinda his main offense AND defense.

Azazu

First Post
Well what are some tactics/spells/equipment that you have used with liches in the past??

Any good combos I should know about???

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Azazu said:
Well what are some tactics/spells/equipment that you have used with liches in the past??

Any good combos I should know about???

Cloudkill + Blindsense/blindsight is usually pretty good. The lich is immune to the effects of cloudkill, and blindsense or blindsight still let's him locate and target his opponents.
Basically, any area spell that the lich is immune to is good to use.

Any spell or effect that protects the lich against Disintegrate or Heal are good.

Fly + Greater Invisibility is a classic that's still good.

Laman Stahros

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
Make sure that his DR is (Ex) first. It might go away too.

As per the 3.5 Monster Manual, page 167, Creating a Lich, the DR is (Su) - so Antimagic Field would knida suck for the lich since any bludgeoning weapon would be effective against him.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Unhallow and Desecrate will be the first step. That will make him stranger and Make it difficult to turn him. Forbiddance can be quite useful to keep fighters away from his area.

Give him a lot of weaker undead followers. And let him use Summon Undead spells if that is not enough.

His Fortitude Save is relatively low due to the lack of Con score. So Disintegrate can be problematic. Spell Resistance, Spell Turning & Greater Spell Immunity will help.

Blasphemy and Unholy Blight will be great as those spells do not harm him or his evil followers.

Kilroy

First Post
Azazu said:
The lich is a 15th level cleric - with the Evil and Death domains.

I was looking at the spell Antimagic field and was thinking that this is the best spell in the world for him to cast, as it makes his DR amazing (15/bludeoning and magic)

Oddly enough, this is my favorite spell to use against a lich. Have a melee character cast it out of a ring of spell storing and grapple the lich, and the lich is just done.

If you want your lich nasty, keep him the heck out of melee. He will get destroyed by a single full round attack. You were on the right track looking for protective spells, but the spell you really want is Antilife Shell. It's the ideal lich spell, as all his minions aren't affected, but the party can't come within 10' of him for hours.

Then, just for that extra level of bothersome, have the lich hold an action to cast Spell Immunity 'whatever big spell the main caster is casting at me the first round'.

After that, cast Blasphemy and let the minions clean up the mess.

Percivellian

First Post
I remember reading a spell some place (can't remember where, so don't quote me on the numbers) that could be cast on undead, causing them to explode doing 2 or 3d6 damage when struck. A great tactic for an evil cleric to use in conjunction with undead minions.

Vahktang

First Post
Lich sends minions to get the good guys to drop spells and find out their tactics, using scrying on the minions to find out what is happening.
Good for: "why the heck is that ghoul doing a running commentary on what's happening in this fight?"
Then, being a cleric, spell immunity to the appropriate spells.
And have the fight in a unhallow with a dispel magic on.
Every round an area effect dispel occurs.
Good bye all those nice boosty spells.
And the Lich's spells are unaffected.
:)

More later,

Vahktang

Remove ads