So was yesterday the worst day?

nerfherder

Explorer
No - I was still on a high after my weekend up in Edinburgh. Especially after getting chatted up by a stunning Irish girl in Fingers Piano Bar :D

Cheers,
Liam

Turanil

First Post
Government statisticians have warned that a worldwide outbreak of flu is overdue, leading ministers to consider contingency plans for inflatable mortuaries, quarantine facilities, and the evacuation of big cities.
According to the article, this already happened and killed 40 millions people (in 1918) worldwide. So, 40 millions out 6 billions inhabitants makes for less than 1%. So, guys (and girls) lets roll a d100; and if you roll a 1 you must confirm it with rolling again a d100 under 66. [Okay, I did roll 27, so will sleep cool tonight.]

Zappo

Explorer
Turanil said:
According to the article, this already happened and killed 40 millions people (in 1918) worldwide. So, 40 millions out 6 billions inhabitants makes for less than 1%. So, guys (and girls) lets roll a d100; and if you roll a 1 you must confirm it with rolling again a d100 under 66. [Okay, I did roll 27, so will sleep cool tonight.]
OTOH, we didn't have 6 billion people in 1918. I don't know the number, but it can't be more than 4 billions and it was probably substantially less. Assuming 4 billions, that would be 1%.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
If you stumbled out of bed in the dark this morning, fell over the cat, found no milk in the fridge for your porridge, had a row with your partner, received a rude letter from the bank, got covered in snow at the bus stop and finally arrived at work in time to be made redundant, you will already know that today is the most depressing day of the year.
Let's compare notes:
I woke up from a horrible dream where En World had been permanently closed (honest), fell from bed, stumbled to an empty fridge (I knew I forgot to do something yesterday), missed the bus, arrived to work late, was told that my workplace was closed today and that I had voicemail saying so, missed the bus again, came home to an empty fridge (I knew I was forgetting something on the way home), missed the bus, attempted to pay for groceries with a credit card I had left home (I knew I was forgetting somethin, again), missed the bus, got the credit card, missed the bus, got the groceries, got to the bus on time (wow), came home and fired up the 'puter. But things are looking up now. ;)

I guess I'm a day late from the estimate. :)

Turanil

First Post
jonesy said:
Let's compare notes:
I woke up from a horrible dream where En World had been permanently closed (honest), fell from bed, stumbled to an empty fridge (I knew I forgot to do something yesterday), missed the bus, arrived to work late, was told that my workplace was closed today and that I had voicemail saying so, missed the bus again, came home to an empty fridge (I knew I was forgetting something on the way home), missed the bus, attempted to pay for groceries with a credit card I had left home (I knew I was forgetting somethin, again), missed the bus, got the credit card, missed the bus, got the groceries, got to the bus on time (wow), came home and fired up the 'puter. But things are looking up now. ;)

I guess I'm a day late from the estimate. :)
Wow!! :eek:

Turanil

First Post
Zappo said:
OTOH, we didn't have 6 billion people in 1918. I don't know the number, but it can't be more than 4 billions and it was probably substantially less. Assuming 4 billions, that would be 1%.
Don't tell me I must re-roll! (Okay, okay, the DM is always right, so lets see that: 55 )

berdoingg

First Post
I had a pretty much self-induced, mood-caused crappy day yesterday, and discovered this article this morning and figured that they must be on the money. Scientists eh? Not all power-crazed evil geniuses.

My kind friends talked me in last night and I am in a much more positive frame of mind today. Plus there was a TV program on last night with this explorer fella who spent a month with a forest dwelling African tribe and went through their days long, drug fuelled initiation. This involves hours upon hours of violent vomiting, hallucinations of your worst fears and all the terrible things you have done, fever dreams, out of body experiences and finishes with you being pushed in a river. That cheered me up no end. He definitely had a worse day than me. Iboga wood kids. Just say no.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yes, yes it was and the year is freaking young yet! I am expecting a number of more just as bad, long meetings, people wanting answers to justify their views even if they don't, people wanting you to hurry up but wait for them, printer issues due to tissue thin paper, people who want to print 22,000 pages and wondering why it is taking so long....ARRRRRRRRRRRR.

Remove ads