Dice Questions?

Uder

First Post
Every few months I pop onto a thread like this, mention wooden dice, and everyone says, "yeah, that'd be neat, never seen 'em," and life goes on.

I need some springy pine dice! My pine d6's are the luckiest dice I've ever owned!

Unfortunately, I"m as like to cut off my fingers as get a non-biased die if I tried to carve them myself.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Uder said:
Unfortunately, I"m as like to cut off my fingers as get a non-biased die if I tried to carve them myself.
I am a wood worker and can make wood d6's .. but do not have accurate enough tools to make the other poly shapes ... So I can sympathize ... I dont think carving is accurate enough ... and would be ... as you say ... dangerous :)

Dragonbait

Explorer
guedo79 directed me to this thread from another dice thread..

I used to get little d6's from lots of the old Games Workshop games, and I think from the Ghostbusters RPG box set. These little white d6's have the sharp edges and made of the same material as the classic six-sided dice found in most board games. You can buy plastic cases with d6's of the same size as the ones I'm talking about, but they have rounded edges and are of a light material. Does anyone know if those old, sharp-edged small d6's are being made?

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Dragonbait said:
guedo79 directed me to this thread from another dice thread..

I used to get little d6's from lots of the old Games Workshop games, and I think from the Ghostbusters RPG box set. These little white d6's have the sharp edges and made of the same material as the classic six-sided dice found in most board games. You can buy plastic cases with d6's of the same size as the ones I'm talking about, but they have rounded edges and are of a light material. Does anyone know if those old, sharp-edged small d6's are being made?
I believe so ... but I would need to see a picture with a ruler included to be sure

Kevin Cook

Explorer
D49 (fourty-nine sided die)

Just a quick heads up if you are looking for an interesting die

A person in the UK is selling D49 ... his email is derek@dompromotions.co.uk and ebay ID is derekbartle

Please forgive if this violates any advertising rules ... I am not the seller and just thought others might be interested

Abe.ebA

First Post
A question for you dice collectors...

When you actually play games involving dice, do you have a specific set that you use? Or do you just pull randomly from the horde?

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Abe.ebA said:
A question for you dice collectors...

When you actually play games involving dice, do you have a specific set that you use? Or do you just pull randomly from the horde?
When RP'ing ... I have a specific set ... that is pulled from my duplicates .... otherwise ... I just use the dice on hand

Agent Oracle

First Post
I have three uncommon dice which you probably don't posess

First is a set of three color-coded wooden cubes from the Elsie The Cow Board game (1950's) The three dice (which vary in size large, medium, small) were intended for the three players (Elmer, Elsie, and their son, whose name eludes me) The gameplay was similar to candyland, except the board had a much more "Dairy Farm fresh" nature to it, and certain spaces featured one of the three characters, landing on the space meant you drew a card, which was happy and smiley and whatnot, but did generic little-kid things (extra turn, go back to blue etc.)

Second is of unknown origin a d20 that features alchemical symbols on it's faces instead of numbers. It is green, and marbelized with bronze coloration on the numbers.

Third is what i refer to as my plot die. it's a 6-sided die with the following images on it: A Star (5 pointed), a open book, A Question mark, the faces of comedy and tragedy (on one side), a trophy, and a hand pointing to the right. I don't know where it came from, but I use it to make monor adjustments to my games as necessary.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Agent Oracle said:
First is a set of three color-coded wooden cubes from the Elsie The Cow Board game (1950's) The three dice (which vary in size large, medium, small) were intended for the three players (Elmer, Elsie, and their son, whose name eludes me) The gameplay was similar to candyland, except the board had a much more "Dairy Farm fresh" nature to it, and certain spaces featured one of the three characters, landing on the space meant you drew a card, which was happy and smiley and whatnot, but did generic little-kid things (extra turn, go back to blue etc.)
I have a similar set from the 1930's ... ELMER ELSIE BEULAH ... let me know if you would be willing to part with your set :)

Second is of unknown origin a d20 that features alchemical symbols on it's faces instead of numbers. It is green, and marbelized with bronze coloration on the numbers.
WOW ... sounds neat ... got a picture of it? ... Want to trade?

Third is what i refer to as my plot die. it's a 6-sided die with the following images on it: A Star (5 pointed), a open book, A Question mark, the faces of comedy and tragedy (on one side), a trophy, and a hand pointing to the right. I don't know where it came from, but I use it to make monor adjustments to my games as necessary.
Does it look like THIS? ... like you ... I have no idea what this is used for

Agent Oracle ... any connection with Oracle Corporation (Databases)?

Last edited:

Kevin Cook

Explorer
June 2006 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Ignore this post

Here are the highlights of the dice added in June 2006

EVENTS OF PARTICULAR NOTE:
==========================

The collection was mentioned in Guinness World Records Worlds Biggest Everything released this month

Reshot the TOY VAULT Plush D20 size comparison to show all 4 sizes

Rounded out the THE_DICE_THEME_CHESSEX
theme with many that I was missing (Too many to list here)

DICE OF PARTICULAR NOTE:
========================

Added several more Magic the Gathering Spindown dice from Wizards of the Coast
..5TH DAWN
..5TH DAWN
..5TH DAWN
..9TH EDITION
..BETRAYERS
..DARKSTEEL
..DECKMASTERS
..MIRRODIN

From Friendly Games ... added the Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Mans Chest dice

From a guy named Alan Davies in the UK ... added some a new shape of D50 ... They are advertised as a d49 ... in reality they are numbered 01-49 and have a single blank side
...YELLOW
...RED
...BLUE

Added an interesting set of d12's from the
HARRY POTTER QUIDDIDITCHgame by THE_DICE_THEME_MATTEL

GameStation.net has some new dice beginning today (First day of Origins 2006)
...ORIGINS 2006
...ORIGINS 2006
...ORIGINS 2006
...ORIGINS 2006
...ORIGINS 2006
...ORIGINS 2006

Added some nice AMETHYST dice

THEME Changes (Updated/Added) as a result of adding new dice:
=============================================================

BRAND:
------
CHESSEX
GAMESTATION
HASBRO
KOPLOW
MATTEL
USAOPOLY *** NEW ***
Wizards of the Coast

GENERAL:
--------
CUSTOM MADE DICE *** NEW ***
LETTER
LOTTERY
TV & MOVIE
SKULL
SPINNERS *** NEW ***

MATERIAL:
---------
METAL
STONE
WOOD

INFORMATION ABOUT DICE changes:
===============================

Added a page with the CHESSEX box inserts to the Chessex Company Info page

With the new Alan Davies D50 this now makes 98 DICE SHAPES found to date

The Collection in Printed Media

As always ... If you have any dice questions ... post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you

Remove ads