Dice Questions?

Zander

Explorer
carrot said:
Secondly - what is the highest number of faces on a die that you have come across? I have the obligatory d100, but somehow I'd imagine that there must be some more impressive ones out there...
Of the mass produced ones, 100 is tops. However, I once made a d120 out of paper. It was about 4" (10cm) across and required a lot of room to roll so it wasn't very practical but it did work.

Zander
He who officiates over dice-related records for Guinness

Kevin Cook

Explorer
carrot said:
Firstly I am agog at the wonderousness of your collection!

Secondly - what is the highest number of faces on a die that you have come across? I have the obligatory d100, but somehow I'd imagine that there must be some more impressive ones out there...
Zander is correct ... I have seen pictures of a D120 ... and it is on my to do list to make one

Kevin Cook

Explorer
August 2006 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Ignore this post

Click on the die ABOVE for highlights of dice added in AUGUST 2006

As always ... If you have any dice questions ... post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you​

Last edited:

Contrarian

First Post
Kevin Cook said:
I need help Id'ing these dice ... I have at least figured out they are Klingon and Elven

Decipher publishes licensed games for Star Trek and Lord of the Rings. I'd guess the dice were a promotional item, or possibly from a boxed set.

Contrarian

First Post
Contrarian said:
Chessex's website still lists the Armory six-sided race and class dice. Do you know if Chessex is discontinuing those in favor of the new 12-siders?

I get to answer my own question, because I asked the cashier at the Chessex booth at Gencon about the Armory dice.

Except that she had no idea what I was talking about, so she asked another employee.

And he had no idea what I was talking about, so he asked the oldest guy at the booth.

That guy told me that Chessex never bothered manufacturing the Armory novelty dice, but that they're still selling "the leftovers from the takeover, ten years ago." He was rolling his eyes when said that.

(There actually were a few of the Armory six-siders for sale at the booth.)

So, the Armory dice are discontinued, as of late last century.

Neat site! I browsed through the "Old Dice" collection, and noticed that some of the markings on the Egyptian dice looked like the Roman dice. I also think it's cool that there are really old d20s. It's like that cartoon on papyrus that they found in an Egyptian tomb. Aside from the Japanese dice made in the 50s, are there any other unusual (i.e. non-d6) polyhedral dice that came into existence then?

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Contrarian said:
Decipher publishes licensed games for Star Trek and Lord of the Rings. I'd guess the dice were a promotional item, or possibly from a boxed set.
Thanks ... I kinda figured that ... and have emailed Decpher for details ... no reply as yet

Contrarian said:
So, the Armory dice are discontinued, as of late last century.
Good to know ... that makes them more valuable :)

Varianor Abroad said:
Neat site! I browsed through the "Old Dice" collection, and noticed that some of the markings on the Egyptian dice looked like the Roman dice. I also think it's cool that there are really old d20s. It's like that cartoon on papyrus that they found in an Egyptian tomb. Aside from the Japanese dice made in the 50s, are there any other unusual (i.e. non-d6) polyhedral dice that came into existence then?
By then do you mean during ancient (BC)? ... or just OLD? ... There are 8 sided poker dice made in 1881

Very cool! Actually, I was just wondering if d4s or d12s or d8s had seen use between the making of those Japanese dice (1956) and D&D starting going (1972?). What brought this to mind was Paul Cardwell of CARPGA mentioning years ago in a post elsewhere that he had seen games using polyhedral solids being played well before D&D got going strong.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
Varianor Abroad said:
Very cool! Actually, I was just wondering if d4s or d12s or d8s had seen use between the making of those Japanese dice (1956) and D&D starting going (1972?). What brought this to mind was Paul Cardwell of CARPGA mentioning years ago in a post elsewhere that he had seen games using polyhedral solids being played well before D&D got going strong.
THIS patent from 1965 speaks of a game that uses a D20, D12, D8, D6 and D4

I know there was a french RPG called Magira that predated D&D as well ... I do not know what sorts of dice (if any) that it used

Have you tried to contact Paul and ask to what he was referrring?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases