Dice Questions?

kenobi65

First Post
Another weird d4 question...

In addition to one of those 8-sided d4s (I think Gamescience promoted them as the "d4 that rolls" back in the Cretaceous Era when I bought it), I've also got four 12-sided d4s that I bought at the Chessex booth at GenCon Indy last summer. They're numbered with Roman numerals (I, II, III, IV). Who made 'em? Can I find 'em for sale anyplace? They're the envy of my gaming group, and quite a few of my players would like some.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
I've also got four 12-sided d4s that I bought at the Chessex booth at GenCon Indy last summer. They're numbered with Roman numerals (I, II, III, IV). Who made 'em? Can I find 'em for sale anyplace? They're the envy of my gaming group, and quite a few of my players would like some.

As far as my database tells me ... they are made by Chessex ... but I dont see any for sale at the moment ... checked both Gamestation and Advancing Hordes

THIS is the die we are speaking of

kenobi65

First Post
Kevin Cook said:
As far as my database tells me ... they are made by Chessex ... but I dont see any for sale at the moment ... checked both Gamestation and Advancing Hordes

THIS is the die we are speaking of

It is indeed! Having a handful of 'em is great for Magic Missiles. I'll just have to check out the Chessex booth again at GenCon in August.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Kevin Cook said:

I admit that that's pretty slick. I'd never heard of a 7-sided die, but I have to believe that based on the fact that at least 2 of the sides aren't the same shape as the other sides, that it could never really roll randomly.

Zander

Explorer
die_kluge said:
I admit that that's pretty slick. I'd never heard of a 7-sided die, but I have to believe that based on the fact that at least 2 of the sides aren't the same shape as the other sides, that it could never really roll randomly.
The topmost die in the pic at http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15290 is a fair d7.

The odd-numbered dice in the pic were co-invented by Jason Huff and myself. They were made by Jason and photographed by me. Each die is positioned so that its highest face (i.e. its 'd number') is uppermost.

Kevin Cook

Explorer
die_kluge said:

Actually the die has been proportioned so that the rectangular faces are rolled as often as the pentagonal faces ... much like the d5 and the d9 (work in progress)

Like Zander ... I too have a d7 design ...

HERE is where they can be viewed ... Look for MY DESIGN

Personally I feel that the Zander / Huff design is the most elegant :)

tarchon

First Post
Kevin Cook said:
Actually the die has been proportioned so that the rectangular faces are rolled as often as the pentagonal faces ... much like the d5 and the d9 (work in progress)
Is that just an empirical result or was it designed that way?

Kevin Cook

Explorer
tarchon said:
Is that just an empirical result or was it designed that way?

I cant speak for the d7 as I dont know the designer ... but I know it does roll fair

The d5 was designed that way ... there were several prototypes that were made and rolled until the correct proportions rendered fair results

Tuzenbach

First Post
Kevin Cook said:

Like Zander ... I too have a d7 design ...

HERE is where they can be viewed ... Look for MY DESIGN

Personally I feel that the Zander / Huff design is the most elegant :)
That's only because you haven't seen mine. But *that's* only because I refuse to show it. And THAT'S only because I'd rather get the patent first!

Hello, Kevin! At Dice Maniacs, I'm "CabirToz".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases