Isle of the Ape - your experiences?

Quasqueton

First Post
Twenty-ninth thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Isle of the Ape
wg6.jpg

Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)? What were your experiences? Did you complete it? What were the highlights for your group?

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Quasqueton

First Post
Could someone with search access please find my post with the catalog of these threads. I need to update my bookmark so I can update that thread and my signature.

Thanks.

Quasqueton

Vigilance

Explorer
Isle of the Ape is a fantastic adventure. My players whined almost all the way through it though, as the environment of the island works to reduce inhabitants to the level of the primitive savages that inhabit the pocket demiplane containing the island.

In other words... by about half way through all your players' precious items will have rusted away.

Since I am immune to player whining and just laughed at my players and called them soft, this didnt affect my enjoyment of the adventure. ;)

However, there is an absolute HAUL on the way out, which (as I recall) more than compensates for the loss of items.

Chuck

Henry

Autoexreginated
No experiences with it, but I AM keeping the module in my collection... just in case. I desparately want to run it one day, but players get so attached to their magic items these days it's hard to run without a player mutiny.

Quasqueton

First Post
I never ran or played in this module, but some things about it are interesting to note.

Why is Tenser's dress and environs all variations of blue?

This module was built to punish high-level PCs who had not truly worked their way up to their level. This is stated right in the module itself.

This module truly brutilized wizards. Instead of giving high-level characters a high-level challenge, it heavily restricted high-level characters so they couldn't make use of their high-level spells.

The unarmored "human" natives of the demiplane had ACs in the 20s (translated to D&D3). This is an example of completely screwing up the rules/universe just to avoid putting thought into high-level challenges.

Note the ability scores of the various pregenerated PCs. Six Human PCs, levels 14-19
Two 19s
Fourteen 18s
Four 17s
Seven 16s
Five 15s
One 14
Two 13s
One character is missing a constitution score. No ability increasing magic items.

Quasqueton

Bregh

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
I never ran or played in this module, but some things about it are interesting to note.

This module was built to punish high-level PCs who had not truly worked their way up to their level. This is stated right in the module itself.

Actually, it was an AD&D adaption of the OD&D adventure written back in the early '70s for EGG's LG campaign (as a sub-level accessed in the dungeons beneath CG)--as stated in the second paragraph of the forward.

As for the "punishment" factor, I offer the following from the Introduction:

"The place you are about to send your Player Characters is a very deadly one indeed. Well, players have been asking for high-level adventures, and you are about to give them what they've been asking for (in spades). Before they begin, and before you prepare to run, remember this: if you DM this module according to the rules of the game, and its spirit, the best of players are going to be in real trouble before very long. There are not many tricks, traps, or clever devices here. This is an adventure of attrition. The place is literally infested with horrible monsters, and the sheer numbers of huge, man-eating creatures will soon take their toll of the PCs. Unless they are clever about conserving their resources, the adventurers will fidn that they have exhausted far too much of their power and not explored half of the island. Magic-users will be particularly vulnerable to this. The point of all this preamble is to exhort you to be tough. That's right, don't allow any sympathy to interfere with the game as it is designed. Too many players are marching around claiming that they have chraracters able to handle anything. Now is the time to let them demonstrate the mettle of these invicible characters they have.

Challenging? Certainly. Tough, absolutely. Punishment? Perhaps you're projecting personal bias? I see the same sort of language used in the Introduction here in the modules of Necromancer Games and Monte Cook's work. If anything, it seems as entirely spot on in 1973 as in 1985 as in 1998 and today.

This module truly brutilized wizards. Instead of giving high-level characters a high-level challenge, it heavily restricted high-level characters so they couldn't make use of their high-level spells.

No more than Q1, your average 2nd edition Ravenloft or Planescape setting game, or even some parts of Monte Cook's The Banewarrens or NG's Rappan Athuk.

If these aren't your cup of tea, that's one thing, but you aren't exactly giving this module its fair due for those who are unfamiliar with it, either.

The unarmored "human" natives of the demiplane had ACs in the 20s (translated to D&D3). This is an example of completely screwing up the rules/universe just to avoid putting thought into high-level challenges.

Actually, their ACs are completely in line with the Dexterity bonuses to ACs that accrued to Barbarians (which these NPCs are) as given in The Dragon and the official rules of the original Unearthed Arcana.

Note the ability scores of the various pregenerated PCs. Six Human PCs, levels 14-19
Two 19s
Fourteen 18s
Four 17s
Seven 16s
Five 15s
One 14
Two 13s
One character is missing a constitution score. No ability increasing magic items.

Quasqueton

Not sure the point of this last part. Looks a lot like the high-end stats I've seen in all kinds of games featuring Arch-Mages, Lords-Baron, Great Druids, and the like, in any edition.

Stat bonus-granting magic items were not as much a staple of earlier versions of D&D as they are in the current one, so that readily explains their absence. Doubtless for characters to ever attain such heights in the old games their stats were very good intially, and the various books, librams, tomes, magic pools, multiple wishes, permanent spells, and just plain old fashioned luck and good play may have contributed to the appearance of the Great Personages included in this module.

I'd gladly contribute to further to this post, as this module is one of my all-time favourites and is fondly remembered by long-time participants in my campaign, but judging by the wild and somewhat exaggerated nature of your post, I am not certain that its nothing more than a venue with which to flame OOP versions of D&D.

Quasqueton

First Post
... judging by the wild and somewhat exaggerated nature of your post, I am not certain that its nothing more than a venue with which to flame OOP versions of D&D.
Au contraire (or some similar spelling). I have the highest love for the old D&D rules and adventures. But I can also spot poor design through my rose-colored glasses.

Actually, it was an AD&D adaption of the OD&D adventure written back in the early '70s for EGG's LG campaign (as a sub-level accessed in the dungeons beneath CG)--as stated in the second paragraph of the forward.
"Actually"? Did I say something to the contrary? "LG"? Was no Living Greyhawk back then. Was just EGG's/RK's campaign world back then. Were you explaining this to me? Unnecessary. Or are you just offering it up as info? Sorry I took it personally.

And my "point" for showing the ability scores was merely an interesting note. I had not seen such high scores on any characters, ever. It seemed to suggest that, like you said, those with high scores survive to high levels. But does that mean that it is assumed you can't make it to high levels without high scores? Perhaps this should be a separate thread discussion?
I'd gladly contribute to further to this post, as this module is one of my all-time favourites and is fondly remembered by long-time participants in my campaign...
And by all means, contribute further. That is why I post these threads -- to read about others' experiences with them. What were your experiences.

I'll post more about the module specifics I mentioned after I get home and can get out my module. Hopefully I'll have time.

Quasqueton

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases