D&D 3E/3.5 M:tG 3.0 to 3.5, Wave 3 - Thallids!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Again - these were all written in 3.0, so I'm posting them hereto both kick my own ass into gear with the conversion to 3.5 and to see if anyone else wants the task. This set of thrulls is also incomplete, as it only includes the original thallids. Combined with the other two threads, this pretty much gives away *when* I was playing Magic

Thallid Devourer

Large (Long) Plant
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +1 (+1 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft
AC: 18 (+1 Dex, -1 Size, +8 Natural)
Attacks: 1 Slam +7 melee, 1 Bite +2 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6+3, Bite 1d8+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 10 ft / 10 ft
Special Qualities: Natural Appearance, Devouring, Saproling Factory
Saves: Fort +6, Refl +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +4*, Spot +4, Listen +2, Intimidate +4
Feats: Weapon Focus (Slam)
Climate/Terrain: Forests and Valleys
Organization: Solitary, Clutch (2-3), Army (2-16)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: ½ Normal
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (large-size), 11-14 HD (huge-size)

Devourers are a mutation of basic Thallid stock that occurred fairly recently, sometime after the fall of the elves that created the base Thallid and Saproling stocks. They are large green fungal beasts, often with tentacular growths or pseudopods. They have an obvious maw and use it to great effect. They are also the first truly carnivorous Thallid, as well as being cannibalistic. They attack living foes in order to consume them immediately instead of allowing
them to rot and be absorbed through their root structure.

COMBAT

Thallid Devourers stride forward into combat swinging their appendages around and trying to bring food to it’s mighty maw, or otherwise bringing it’s maw to the food if necessary.

Saproling Factory: A well-fed Thallid Devourer continuously buds and sprouts Saprolings. Under optimal conditions they bud a Saproling every day. Under typical conditions they will
have 3d4 Saprolings in their immediate area for every Thallid Devourer encountered. Many of these Saprolings will be crawling over and about the Thallid Devourers themselves.
Under dryer or harsher conditions 1d4 or 2d4 Saprolings will be encountered per Thallid Devourer. See the Saproling entry for more information.

Devouring (Su): Thallid Devourers have the ability to assimilate Saprolings and add their life force to it’s own. It may assimilate up to it’s HD in Saprolings in a turn, and each Saproling so devoured adds it’s Hit Dice (and hit points as temporary hit points) as well as a +4 Strength bonus to the Devourer for 1 minute.

Natural Appearance: Thallid Devourers gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide rolls in naturally wooded environments.

HellHound

Feral Thallid

Large Plant
Hit Dice: 5d8+25 (47 hp)
Initiative: +0
AC: 17 (-1 Size, +8 Natural)
Attacks: 2 Slams +10 / +5 melee
Damage: Slam 1d8+10
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft / 10 ft
Special Qualities: Natural Appearance, Regeneration 3
Saves: Fort +9, Refl +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +4*, Spot +4, Listen +2, Intimidate +8
Feats: Power Attack
Organization: Solitary, Team (2-3)
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (large-size), 11-14 HD (huge-size)

No one knows where or when the Feral Thallids sprung up from the Thallid stock, but they are the most noted of them all, as the only Thallids often seen wandering from the
forests of their creation. They are almost never seen in the company of other Thallids, as if they were exiles from the rest of Thallid “society”.

They are the most humanoid of the Fungal Thallid races, towering 11 foot-tall creatures of forest-green hide with two defined trunk-like arms and legs. They are singularly powerful and are able to rip up small trees in their rampages.

COMBAT

Feral Thallids have no fear of death, rushing into combat with whatever creatures or small buildings they encounter, leaving a trail or ruins and bodies behind them to mark their way back to the ruined forests of their spawning.

Regeneration (Ex): Born and bred of fungus, Feral Thallids are nearly impossible to kill. Only Fire and Acid deal normal damage to a Feral Thallid.

Natural Appearance: Feral Thallids gain a +2 racial bonus to Hide rolls in naturally wooded environments.

HellHound

Thallid

Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
AC: 16 (+6 Natural)
Attacks: 1 Slam +2 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6+1
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft / 5 ft
Special Qualities: Saproling Factory, Natural Appearance
Saves: Fort +5, Refl +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +4*, Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: None
Organization: Solitary, Clutch (2-5), Army (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium-size)

Thallids are strange magically-created fungal plant life created by arcane elven farmers in ages past. The thallids rose up and destroyed their creators and to this day control
the forest they were cloned in.

Thallids come in many forms, some more fungal appearing than others, some even looking like bipedal flowering plants. Most are deep green in colour and they are all
photosynthetic unlike most naturally-occurring fungi. They are usually about 5 feet tall and thick and weigh about 225 pounds. They are ravenous eaters, never seeming to get full, and a Thallid not going about a task is often found on “guard duty”, soaking up sunlight and earthbound nutrients.

COMBAT

Thallids will generally rush offending creatures in a swarming group accompanied by hordes of Saprolings. They are not especially effective combatants on their own and can generally be easily dispatched if they are not in a group.

Saproling Factory: A well-fed Thallid continuously buds and sprouts Saprolings. Under optimal conditions they bud a Saproling every day. Under typical conditions they will have 3d4 Saprolings in their immediate area for every Thallid encountered. Many of these Saprolings will be crawling over and about the Thallids themselves. Under dryer or harsher conditions 1d4 or 2d4 Saprolings will be encountered per Thallid. See the Saproling entry for more information.

Natural Appearance: Thallids gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide rolls in naturally wooded environments.

HellHound

Thorn Thallid

Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
AC: 21 (+2 Dex, +9 Natural)
Attacks: 1 Slam +4 melee, Thorns +7 thrown
Damage: Slam 1d10+1, Thorns 1d6
Special Attacks: Thorns
Special Qualities: Natural Appearance
Saves: Fort +6, Refl +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +4*, Spot +6, Listen +2
Feats: Weapon Focus (Thorns)
Organization: Solitary, Clutch (2-4), Army (5-50)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: 5-7 HD (medium-size), 8-11 HD (large-size)

As the weather grew cooler, the arcane farmers worked on hardier plants, and the Thorn Thallid was crafted. It once grew fruit but that was hundreds of generations ago, all that remains of it is it’s heritage of hard, rough bark and sharp spines.

Thorn Thallids come in a wide variety of forms and shapes much like the typical Thallid, but they are generally bigger (6 to 7 feet tall and wide and 400-plus pounds) and rougher in texture. They also tend not to crawl with Saprolings as they lack the means of producing them that is common among most Fungal Thallids.

COMBAT

Thorn Thallids are able to launch their thorns as well as attack in melee, and usually do so, closing with large targets while weakening them with thorns. In the case of many smaller targets, they will close with one will firing thorns at others.

Thorns: Thorn Thallids can launch their thorns as a free action. This is a missile attack with a +7 bonus and a base range of 15 feet. They can launch any number of thorns at
once, but usually launch 1d4 at a time. They regenerate these thorns at a rate of one per day, and may have up to twice their Hit Dice of thorns on their body at once.

Natural Appearance: Thorn Thallids gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide rolls in naturally wooded environments.

HellHound

Saproling

Small Plant
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
AC: 13 (+1 Size, +2 Natural)
Attacks: 1 Slam +2 melee
Damage: Slam 1d3+1
Special Qualities: Natural Appearance
Saves: Fort +3, Refl +0, Will -3
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 4, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +2*
Feats: None
Organization: Solitary, Clutch (10-40), Army (100-1000)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Treasure: None
Advancement: None

Saprolings are small, motile fungal creatures budded off from many Thallids. They are generally unnoticed until they join in a rush of Thallids against intruders.

COMBAT

Generally, Saprolings are inoffensive unless motivated into combat by their accompanying Thallids. Then they rush forward and swarm over their enemies.

Natural Appearance: Saprolings gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide rolls in naturally wooded environments.

*grins*

Monsters aren't my specialty, but I'll just say these are nifty. You realize, Jake, that you could just file off the serial numbers and sell a pdf with these things as, like, Librum Plantarum.

Krishnath

First Post
You know, I have been wanting to do the Thallids for quite some time, but you beat me to it, and made an excellent work of it as well. I like. One suggestion though, I think the Thorn Thallid would be better represented with a Thorn Spray attack that works similar to a dragons breathweapon (mechanically) rather than a single ranged attack. Something like:

Thorn Spray (Ex): Once per round (or once every 1d4 rounds, or whatever time delay you want) a thorn thallid can launch a spray of thorns in an X ft. cone. All in the affected area take XdX points of piercing damage, a reflex save DC: X reduces the damage by half.

You get the idea. I think this would more closely represent the concept of the Thorn Thallid. It is just a suggestion however.

Later,

ratet

First Post
I have been looking for a thallid conversion for a long time. and this is awesome. I just wish it had them all. An I need help making thallids into a playable race for 3.5 and/or pathfinder. Can anyone help me?

Debby

Explorer
To convert to 3.5 add BAB/Grapple line; change attack line to include damage and add full attack line; correct for feats (1 HD =1 feat, 3 HD =2 Feats, 6 HD =3 feats, etc. and note bonus feats); and last of all change Face to Space. Creatures no longer have facing.

Debby

Remove ads