Story Hour Fatigue

the Jester

Legend
I just took about a month off from my story hours (and still haven't gotten back to one of 'em). I prolly update as much as just about anyone; but from early/mid December to mid-January, I just wasn't interested.

Then I ran a Very Special Gaming Event, where my epic party crossed with another dm's epic party JLA vs. Avengers style, and I frankly still haven't come down from it. Shortly afterward I was back on the updates! And though I'm over a dozen games behind in each thread, I've been (at least somewhat) trying to summarize the unimportant or less interesting stuff.

I guess my best advice would be- if you have a super-special game, it might inspire you to jump back in.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
It's not story hour fatigue, but sometimes I just can't get into the kick of writing. I found that I have a mantra that helps out.

"It doesn't matter what I write. I am just putting words on paper. I have no goals. I am simply seeing what forms. I have no concerns of quality. I'm just using up some time. Whatever I do will be great, because I have no expectations. And even if it isn't great, it doesn't matter. I enjoy the act of writing. I have no need for the outcome."

And I write like that, usually a paragraph or two. Which, by that time ends with, "But as long as I'm going to be sitting here for the next fifteen minutes, I could be writing about X..."

Once all the worry starts to fade away, once I get past that squirming little twisting need to get up and stop working because it might turn out badly, then I can write. It's especially useful if I've got a product proposal, or update due for work.

Mortepierre

First Post
I can certainly sympathize with you in this regard, Sep. Though I started my own SH but recently, I am already discovering that in-between two campaigns, my family life and my work, the spare time I have left to write isn’t nearly as long as I had expected.

Moreover, the fact is that once you gain an audience due to the quality of what you write, you feel a pressure to continue to provide A+ material. That’s especially true for authors such as Piratecat, Destan, or yourself.

My own mistake was a desire to write long updates. I realize now that I should have gone for shorter but more frequent updates. Once I finish the current chapter, the next ones are going to be handled that way.

Beyond that, I find that what others have already stated is true. It’s often the first few pages that are the most difficult to write down. Once you’ve started, things get rolling and it becomes far easier ;)

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
it's the price of fame, sep.

while i appreciate the fact that it may get a bit difficult to update, and the constant bumps can prove frustrating, id bet 99.63% of the story hour authors on this site would love to be penning one of the very few threads that get read by more people than just their own players.

do you ever communicate with other story hour authors off-line? about d&d? writing? anything? they may have some ideas or, at least, can validate the fact that they feel the same way (though this thread sort of does that, i suppose).

as for my part, ive tried to refrain from bumping sh's that i read because im worried it may have the opposite effect. destan, for example, seems to have packed it in. pcat has drifted away from his hordes of faithful. and you...well, you know your situation best. :)

i guess the bottom line for me is that ill read whatever post, whenever you post it, and i hope you get at least a 1/10 of the enjoyment from writing as i do from what you write.

W.P.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wisdom Penalty said:
pcat has drifted away from his hordes of faithful.

Nah. I had dropped to about once a month, but that's now going to once a week (with some conditions.) I should be able to keep that schedule.

Mortepierre hit the nail on the head about shorter updates, more frequently. I find shorter updates easier to write, and it's almost certain that they make the thread more accessible to new readers. Heck, I usually write one long update and break it up into two or three pieces.

My big stalling point recently was twenty unlabeled and unorganized tapes that have the game sessions recorded. They were just sitting there, staring at me, and every time I thought about writing I didn't want to deal with them. An hour of organization, and that's become a lot more bearable.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Sep,

If I were you, I wouldn't update the story hour. I'd write up the first 10,000 words into a nice format and send it off to the Wizards novel submission thing.

You have a wonderful tale to tell and you are a talented writer. As long as you are banging your head into the gravel to get this all down, why not get paid for it?

I realize I'm begging to get a jillion email viruses for suggesting that you don't update and make us wait some more, but really I think this is your best bet.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Well, I'm not trying to update a story hour, but the first thing I want to say is:

Get over yourself.

We, the devoted story hour readers, do not expect you to be Faulkner. We read the story hours because you are telling us a great story. It's about what happens next to the characters. If you're caught up in making every update a shining pearl of literature, you need a smack upside the head.

Don't wait to be "in the moment". If you wait for your muse to arrive, she never will. The only way to make all your writing competent and readable is to write. Every day. Just write.

Sure, the most popular story hours are popular because they're well written. But they are also popular because they describe great hours of gaming. Don't get so lost in the words that you forget the picture.

I agree with the idea of summarizing to get yourself back on track. Imagine if sports writers had to write about the big game from a taped transcript or notes a YEAR after the event. It would it be incredibly dangerous, and their distance from the time and place would only make it more difficult to recover the feeling of the moment.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
KC (is it okay if I imagine you with a Sunshine Band?) has a good point. I've been writing more-or-less long tales for a very long time now, and sometimes you have to slog for a while, not really feeling the joy, until you have a breakthrough and suddenly the fun is back. You just keep putting words on the page.

And while I agree with the summarizing tip, here's another: When you don't like what happened, or you can't figure out how to get through it --

MAKE IT UP.

It's amazing how much freedom just making up any old thing can be. You don't HAVE to report what happened; you have to tell a great story. Your story.

So if trying to recall what happened a year ago is getting you down (heck, Barsoom Tales is reciting encounters from FOUR years ago, I think. Maybe three.), just start making it up as you go. Worked for Indiana Jones.

barsoomcore said:
MAKE IT UP.

Very very good advice.

Another thing to remember is that, as said many times already, you don't have to impress people with every single update. There doesn't have to be a major 'wow' moment or even combat to keep people interested and enjoying your SH. You've got a big advantage in being a 'big name' SH because people will read it no matter what. Ignore their expectations and just write for your own enjoyment.

Of course...sometimes I wonder if the non-'wow' moments and slower times in my SH hurt it more than anything. But eh, its the price of daily updates. I try to set a minimum for my own updates, at least a page but usually a little over. For SHs that update less frequently, you may feel more obligated to produce longer updates. DON'T! Write as much as you feel is good. Ignore all the peopel who read it, they'll read no matter what! ;)

Remove ads