CA: Spellthief questions

Darthjaye

First Post
Did anyone else notice that under the desciption of the spellthief's abilities it does not say that they are exclusively bound to stealing arcane spells? I was under that impression until I read it again (although all the examples are arcane). I'm wondering if there was aline left out, or this is indeed available to them. If so, they have yet another stat to keep at a reasonable level now. What do you guys think of this?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
It doesn't seem to say it's limited to arcane spells so apparently they can steal either.

Darthjaye said:
If so, they have yet another stat to keep at a reasonable level now.
They don't need to:
Treat the spell as if it were cast by the original owner of the spell for the purpose of determining caster levels, save DC, and so forth. A spellthief can cast this spell even if he doesn't have the minimum ability score required to cast a spell of that level.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yes, they can steal whatever spell they like. And they don't even need any high stats for it, for they use the values of the original caster.

FireLance

Legend
Yup, a spellthief can steal any spell. Which is why a spellthief in a party with an arcane spellcaster and a divine spellcaster makes such a great force multiplier. "Steal" an offensive spell from your wizard friend and you've doubled offensive spell output. "Steal" a healing spell from your cleric buddy and you've got a backup healer.

sullivan

First Post
This has intreged me. I don't have the book, so maybe these questions will seem...odd:

Are those stats as cast by the original owner when you first stole it? Or does that get refreshed (automatically, automatically, or by active means) as the original caster levels up, increase attributes during level up, puts on attribute enchancing gear, takes spell enchancing feats (Spell Focus, Spell Pentration) etc.? Actually does the spellthief even get to count the DC boost from attribute enhancing gear the original caster happened to be wearing at the time the spell was first "stolen"?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
sullivan said:
This has intreged me. I don't have the book, so maybe these questions will seem...odd:

Are those stats as cast by the original owner when you first stole it? Or does that get refreshed (automatically, automatically, or by active means) as the original caster levels up, increase attributes during level up, puts on attribute enchancing gear, takes spell enchancing feats (Spell Focus, Spell Pentration) etc.? Actually does the spellthief even get to count the DC boost from attribute enhancing gear the original caster happened to be wearing at the time the spell was first "stolen"?

AFAIK the origianal values (he had when you stole the spell) are used. But it doesn't really matter, for the spells go away again. You don't keep'em forever.

Darthjaye

First Post
Piratecat said:
I'll slide this over to Rules for you, where the right folks will see it.

Thanks 'Cat. Seems I got some good response on it thus far here. Yeah, the spell "Sharing that a spellthief can effectively accomplish will make this a pretty interesting class to use.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Darthjaye said:
Thanks 'Cat. Seems I got some good response on it thus far here. Yeah, the spell "Sharing that a spellthief can effectively accomplish will make this a pretty interesting class to use.

Of course, you have to stab them in the back (sneak attack is required) :D

Remove ads