[OT] Quantum Leap (The TV show)

Lothaire

First Post
I know that there are a horde of you scifi geeks on board here.
I've only seen about 2 episodes of the show.
I would really appreciate it if my brothers in geekdom could fill me in on the show.

IE plot synopsis, what happened during the first episode, etc.

Thanks.

Eternalknight

First Post
Quick rundown
Basically Dr.Sam Beckett travels back through time, 'leaping' into other peoples bodies and taking over their personality. This quite often lands him in interesting situations. He then fixes whatever is wrong with their lives, before leaping into someone elses body. Others will be able to fill you in better.

The first episode, if I recall correctly, the funding was going to be cut on his little project. Being the typical "I know what I'm doing!" scientist, he used his project on himself, to show that it was working. I don't remember what the project was SUPPOSED to do, but it ended up sending him into other people's lives.

fba827

Adventurer
Sam's theory (which we learn in a later episode comes from a scientist who he helps by leaping into his assistant)...

Your life is a string - starts at the beggining - the time you are alive is the length and at the end of the string is the end of your life. Now, if you could crumble the string up, each point in your life would touch another point in your life.

Project Quantum Leap was supposed to let the person travel through time (but limited to the user's own life time).

However, the problem with the project is that it left Dr. Sam Becket into OTHER people (though people who were alive in his life time - with a couple in-show exceptions for certain reasons). He then goes from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong in the original time line.

His only guide is AL, someone fom Sam's "present" . Al works in a holographic chamber that let's him see where Sam is and the two can communicate that way. No one else can see Al.

I think that certain things in that show really rocked. :)

(not that it didn't have flaws, but I still liked it)

As has already been said, the first episode involved Sam using the Quantum Leap accelorator (the name of the machine that powers Project Quantum Leap) prematurely.
Thus, he can't really control his leaping. All he and Al have been able to figure out is that by fixing things that went wrong Sam "completes" what he is supposed to do and ends up leaping again.

Also, Quantum leaping leaves Sam's brain like swiss cheese - he has trouble remembering things sometimes (esp. about his own life).

Some of the most amusing moments are when he interacts with "side characters" who aren't part of the particular story line...
for instance, he had a random encounter with a doctor who was choking. Sam does the Hiemlich (sp?) manuever on the Doctor and saves his life. Someone later says to the doctor, "Dr. Hiemlich, are you alright?"

:)

similiar story with a young steven king and others ...

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Quantum Leap was such a fun show! It really had heart. I've seen practically every episode; used to catch it in reruns everyday. The best part for me was always the cliffhanger ending each episode, with Sam suddenly leaping into a new host body (invariably in some strange situation) and him panicked and muttering to himself, "Oh, boy!" :D

Berandor

lunatic
The show was great!

Especially hen the evil leapers came into play :)

Or the episode with the horror house (and Stephen King), where *spolier* Al was evil!

Berandor

LostSoul

Adventurer
The best thing about the show, in my opinion, was when Sam remembered a thing or two about his life. (His brother, for instance.) The episode where Sam went to Vietnam was great - especially the very ending.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
(Personally, I loved the final episode of this show)

Universal is considering making a Quantum Leap movie.

The official statement, from TV Guide Online, is as follows:

In The News: Quantum Leap Redux, 24 and More!
Thursday, January 24, 2002

QUANTUM UPDATE: Universal is "exploring" the idea of a Quantum Leap TV reunion movie, a source confirms to TV Guide Online. Earlier this month, Quantum's creator, Donald P. Bellisario, confessed that the idea of taking another Leap with the show's star, Scott Bakula, has always been "in the back of my mind... but Universal, who truly owns the rights to it, has never shown an interest." Until now, that is.

The original article can be found here:

http://communities.msn.com/TheQuant...snw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=141

If you want to join the letter campaign to support the idea of making a Quantum Leap movie, see here:
http://uk.geocities.com/suejbakula/information.html

Mistwell, the Quantum Leap Fan

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Quantum Leap was a wonderful show and is still one of my favorite shows on TV. I still watch it almost everyday on SciFi. I liked everything they did on the show. I can't think of an episode that I didn't enjoy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases