Gaining the Death Domain

Bill Muench

First Post
Hey everyone,

I've got an NPC evil cleric that I'm converting from 3.0 whom I'd like to give the Death domain, but his god doesn't grant it. In 3.0 you could give them a level in Master of Shrouds and get it, but that's no longer the case. Are there any ways you can think of doing it with the following restrictions? I can't really change gods, and am only using official WotC products (excluding the builder books; although the Complete books are okay).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vurt

First Post
The cleric doesn't have to choose a deity, he can simply choose two domains!

SRD said:
Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: A cleric’s deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.

If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.

Edit: oops, missed the part about not being able to change deities. Hmmm... As a DM, I would never let the rules get in the way of having fun, so, errr... in light of the above SRD quote I don't think it's too far a stretch that the NPC has wandered a little away from his god's dogma and some other enterprising god is trying to cherry-pick this new acquisition by offering another domain. Or something. Yeah!

Cheers,
Vurt

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Vurt said:
The cleric doesn't have to choose a deity, he can simply choose two domains!
Assuming you aren't playing in a setting like the FR, where that's not possible, yeah.

azmodean

First Post
Does the god in question have anything to do with death? If so just house rule that he has access to the death domain. If he doesn't, why do you want a cleric of a god that has nothing to do with death to have the death domain? (you'd better not say touch of death)

dcollins

Explorer
Bill Muench said:
I've got an NPC evil cleric that I'm converting from 3.0 whom I'd like to give the Death domain, but his god doesn't grant it. In 3.0 you could give them a level in Master of Shrouds and get it, but that's no longer the case...

If you're the DM, I would recommend just keeping Master of Shrouds in your game ("house rule it back in", if you prefer the terminology) to keep the NPC intact.

Bill Muench

First Post
Sorry, I forgot to include one other caveat (I'm a bit out of it today). House rules aren't an option, as it is a shared world campaign. I have a feeling that I'm just out of luck, since there aren't (and shouldn't) be any "take any domain you want" feats or prestige classes, and I don't think there are any prestige classes anymore that specifically give access to the Death domain (sort of like Divine Oracle specifically gets the Oracle domain). Just wanted to see if anyone could think of something I had missed.

Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases