We finished our D&D 3e campaign

Tonight, the party found and destroyed the Lich Queen's phylactery, ending a 3.5 year game that started in October 2001. There were 4 players at the end, and they all reached 20th level with an 18th level cohort. Being a busy professional who spends his weekends doing outdoor activities rather than writing adventures, I ran published adventures exclusively:

1-10: Temple of Elemental Evil
11: Queen of Lies
12: (That dungeon adventure where the PCs break into a mindflayer fortress to rescue their friend)
13: (Another dungeon adventure where they find an undead gate being built and destroy it)
15: Demon God's Fane
16: Another dungeon adventure (the forgotten realms on featuring the two headed firebringer sladd)
17: Maure Castle
18-20: The Lich Queen's Beloved

In terms of running the game I think I felt that I lost control of the game (in terms of being able to play the opponents as well as the players played their PCs) around level 15th. I started having to look up spells that I'd never seen before (in any edition). PCs became nearly unkillable. We also switched editions to 3.5 at level 11 (especially after the harm/magic missile combo that the big bad in Queen of Lies did to the PCs). There were a few close TPKs, but the PCs always managed to run away in time (though they did lose a number of PCs). Somewhere early on half the group refused to play with the other half, so I ran parallel universes for awhile between the two groups until one group completely broke up. There were a lot of PC deaths, though the PCs did manage to resurrect all PCs (even though some PCs did retire after that harrowing experience), but those tailed off after around 15th level. The players felt challenged all the time (and they felt poor, but that's also because of the constant spending on True Res), but none of them had ever played to 20th level in any previous edition of D&D (one of the players almost literally begged me to keep the game going until he could cast 9th level spells since he'd never had the chance to do so before). Say what you want about the fast levelling, I think the standard system paced the levelling just right --- 3 years to go from 1st to 20th is not a fast pace by any means.

I'm definitely a big fan of the 3.5 rules (and Dungeon magazine!) at this point. What's amazing is that I want to play D&D again. We're now going to take a break and play Grimm d20, but after that it's the Banewarrens! (I'm going to run a few short campaigns for awhile before we do something big again)

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Sounds like you had fun. You will really like The Banewarrens as a short campaign. I recommend going over to Monte's Place and checking out the messageboards for lots of good stuff for DMs dming the Banewarrens.

Turanil

First Post
Thorin Stoutfoot said:
In terms of running the game I think I felt that I lost control of the game (in terms of being able to play the opponents as well as the players played their PCs) around level 15th. <...> PCs became nearly unkillable.
This is also the kind of things that bothers me with D&D. I think that someday I will again run a whole D&D campaign from 3rd level and up, set in the Dragonlance setting. I just hope I will be able to control things past 10th level...

Right now, I think I will have an easier time with my next Grim Tales / d20 CoC game, although for the moment I don't plan to run it past 11th level.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Thorin Stoutfoot said:
Being a busy professional who spends his weekends doing outdoor activities rather than writing adventures, I ran published adventures exclusively:

1-10: Temple of Elemental Evil
11: Queen of Lies
12: (That dungeon adventure where the PCs break into a mindflayer fortress to rescue their friend)
13: (Another dungeon adventure where they find an undead gate being built and destroy it)
15: Demon God's Fane
16: Another dungeon adventure (the forgotten realms on featuring the two headed firebringer sladd)
17: Maure Castle
18-20: The Lich Queen's Beloved

I am extremely interested in a few of the titles you have here. Can anyone tell me where to find Queen of Lies or The Lich Queen's Beloved? As a busy professional myself, I run mainly published adventures as well, though I modify most of them. Your 13th level adventure sounds like Headless, which I plan on using myself. Any info is appreciated.

DM

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Lich Queens beloved is an adventure from Dungeon Magazine issue 100# JULY 2003
it looks lovely, but since my games tend to end at 12th level I will prolly never run it. It does have the option of playing it as rouge githyanki :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That sounds like a really fun campaign. Interestingly enough, I find it easier to kill my PCs now that they're high levels. some powerful monsters are really flippin' scary.

How did you like the various adventures? It'd be interesting to see your brief rating on how much fun each one was to run and play.

Piratecat said:
That sounds like a really fun campaign. Interestingly enough, I find it easier to kill my PCs now that they're high levels. some powerful monsters are really flippin' scary.

PC, you're probably much more capable of running high level monsters and NPCs than I am! Past 6th level spells, I had to look in the book for nearly every NPC spell that they could cast.

Piratecat said:
How did you like the various adventures? It'd be interesting to see your brief rating on how much fun each one was to run and play.

Temple:
- village of hommlet was really a lot of fun. A lot of great roleplaying, and very very dangerous encounters. 10/10 NB: This adventure is really designed for a large sized party (at least 6 pcs, if not 8)
- the temple itself was still fun in the upper two levels, but the lower two levels aren't as interesting because the 3E levelling speed meant that the PCs outstripped the power of the monsters and starting cutting through the monsters like hot knife through butter. 5/10

Queen of Lies:
- under the old rules the big bad was really egregious. The actual adventure itself was OK, but not super great. 5/10

Spiral of M. (dungeon adventure):
- a lot of fun. especially after one of the PCs from the above got sold to the mindflayers (and he was blinded on top of that), the rest of the party got together to try to rescue him. He made it out, but ran in the wrong direction and got killed. (the party started getting really depressed about their inability to do rescues at this point). 8/10

Headless:
- not bad, the final fight was a little anti-climatic, however. 7/10

Demon God's Fane:
- a great adventure. Had the party more than a little paranoid at the start (especially when one of them succumbed to the evil). The final fight was exciting and the puzzles in the middle very challenging. This was really the last adventure in which I felt I challenged the PCs. (nobody died) 10/10

Prison of the Firebringer:
- a lot of fun (especially with the party now high enough level to visit Faerun), but I started feeling like the challenges weren't too great for the PCs. 8/10

Maure Castle:
- they had fun following in the footsteps of Mordenkainen and Bigby, and with their divination powers could actually understand what had gone before. Once again they were too overpowered for this adventure, but I actually used it as a hook for the Lich Queen's Beloved. 9/10

Lich Queen's Beloved:
- Very challenging. Their first foray into Susurus resulted in half the party getting killed. The surviving members at this point decided it was time to use "Leadership" to get a cleric cohort. :)
- After that, a brilliant use of Anti-Magic Shell countered the Lich Queen, and it was a race to find her phylactery.
- The actual finish of the game was slightly anti-climatic (since they were so powerful that a CR 22 Dragon was dispatched in 2 rounds), but at the same time they had the satisfaction of bringing up a character all the way from 1-20.

kitoy

Explorer
I ran "Headless" myself a few years back and it was really great. One of the big turning points in my campaign. I ran the whole thing, from beginnng to end, in one 12-15 hour session. My players really got a kick out of it. I highly reccomend it.

Remove ads