The Gods and Goddesses of Love

Michael Morris

First Post
Well, tis the season yes? Well, share you own gods and goddesses of love; comment on others. These are mine.

[h1]Cuane[/h1]Of the Waves, Lady of Dance.
Symbol: Right half of a heart in the shape of a face.
Alignment: Shunrian / Balcridian (Chaotic - Good in the standard system)
Portfolio: Love, The Sea, Feminine Beauty, Dance
Domains: Chaos, Good, Water, Love, Sea
Favored Weapon: The Bow

The Power: His Enchanting Lady of the Roses, of the waves, of the dances, of charm - Cuane has many titles that Rizaldans use in front of outsiders, but among themselves she is simply "Cu." Her name comes from the Liternanin Cu for "Love" and Anne meaning "Grace," hence "Beloved Grace." Cuane rules over the sea - and like it she can be beautiful in her calm and terrible when enraged. Her depictions are impossibly beautiful - for she is the Goddess of Feminine Beauty. And with the waves it is said that she invented and is the Patroness of Dance.

The Ethos: Love. Do whatever the hell you want, but love. Insure freedom for all and love. Bring beauty to world, and do it with love. You must learn to love yourself to truly know how to love anyone else, including His Enchanting Lady - with that lesson in hand teach love to all.

The Clergy: Cuane's personal following is a sorority - there are no men in her following - contrawise women do not follow Poen her husband. There is a duality between these two orders, and many of the priests and priestesses are married. Marriage is not a contract between Rizaldans as it is between dedicates of Aurnon. It is a spiritual bond. Neither is sexual contact exclusive to the marriage, although it is still somewhat taboo there are justifications. Adultery does not carry the connotations of betrayal among the Rizaldans that it does in our culture or the followers of Aurnon. This "free love" principle is one of the strongest points of contention between the religions.

Priestly vestments are bright pink and blue ribbons that barely conceal the wearer's breasts or genitals. Rose and flower garlands complete the outfit and have given rise to the nickname "flower-children." Cuane's priests find the nickname amusing, but far from formal. Outside their temples the priestesses dress to allure, but within the constraints of the local culture and law.

[h1]Poen[/h1]Of the Skies, Lord of Song
Symbol: Left half of a heart in the shape of a face.
Alignment: Shunrian - Balcridian (Chaotic Good in the standard system)
Portfolio: Love, The Sky, Bards, Masculine Beauty, Music
Domains: Chaos, Good, Air, Love, Music
Favored Weapon: Bow

The Power: Her Enchanting Consort is the title by which Poen (Liternanin meaning, "Guards") is usually addressed, and it implies that his is a secondary role in the pantheon. This is partially true - Cuane does most of the speaking for the two, but his role is quite strong. All the waters of the world flow into the sea, and all those waters come from the sky - just as the waters of a man flow into his spouse to plant the seed of new life. Such sexual metaphors are constant within Rizaldan doctrine. Woman may hold the waters from which new life springs, but man is required to protect her especially when she bears such burdens. Some sects also hold that while a woman must give birth to the body of a child her husband must mediate at the same time in order to give birth to the soul.

Poen rules all things that flow into the sea from the sky. He is therefore Lord of the Sky, though things within the sky are the properties of other deities. He rules the rivers and streams that flow to the sea. The sound of their flowing gives rise to the first music, and he is the Patron of Music. Dance without Music is not whole, and neither is Music without dance whole. Two make one.

Poen is depicted as an impossibly handsome man as befits his status as Lord of Masculine Beauty. He is robust and well formed, but not overly so. He is usually depicted as clean-shaven, though some areas give him a beard. It is rare to see him or Cuane depicted alone - they are almost always together.

The Ethos: Love. Essentially the same as Cuane's ethos - love others, but Poen also teaches faith. One should not spend their seed upon those whose potential children you cannot care for or protect. Life is sacred. It is the duty of women to create it, men to protect it, and of both to serve it. Poen's priests are the most forward thinking on the island where women's rights are concerned.

The Clergy: Poen is followed by a fraternity - no women are in his direct following just as no men follow his wife Cuane. Priestly vestments are scarlet and deep blue and are everybit as skimpy (often moreso) as the garments worn by Cuane's following.

[h1]Telzoan Marriage Rites[/h1]

Marriage is the most important pact a Telzoan will ever make. It forms a bond of trust and love that is never truly severed without great consequence. A spouse is seen as such a part of one that cutting them off is as serious as needing to amputate a hand or foot. Divorce can occur and be justified, but divorcee's are ostracized in Telzoan society all the same.

The marriage ceremony itself is all that is covered here. Proposals of marriage and betrothals (in the case of arranged marriages) vary to wildly for an introduction to handle, but the marriage vows are one of the most consistent parts of the Telzoan religion. Priests of Cuane and Poen are preferred when handling a ceremony, but any married couple will do. That is the one caveat of the Telzoan wedding ceremony - it is not a priest, but another wed couple that marries one. Further it cannot be your parents. Since priests of Cuane and Poen invariably intermarry they are often chosen - further they have access to spells to further sanctify the marriage.

The ceremony begins at dusk of the preceding day. From sunset to the ceremony itself it is considered bad luck for anyone of the opposite sex to see either member of the ceremony, and this is often enforced with the occasional exception given to overly doting parents. At morning the two are led to opposite sides of the ceremonial grounds in the nude, and then one at a time they walk to the center of the grounds alone. In the center of the grounds, also nude, are the priests or presiding couple. To the right of the priests are the bride's parents, and to their left the grooms - the three couples form a triangle. Parents may or may not be clothed for the occasion as determined by age and area. The bride and groom enter the triangle from the side of their parents. The words of the ceremony are as follows:

Priestess: "Her enchanting lady,"
Priest: "And her eternal consort."
Priests: "Invest their power in us."
Priestess: "Oralea [fate] has chosen that you to meet."
Priest: "And you have chosen to love."
Priestess: "This love has grown."
Priest: "Hence you have brought it before us"
Priestess: "For eternal blessed confirmation."
Priests: "Shall we proceed?"
Couple: "Yes"
Priest: "Very well, Do you give your heart to this woman, that she shall never be alone; Do you give your faith, so that she shall never be in want of trust; Do you give your life, that she shall never fear harm; Do you give her your love, through which each of you shall be eternally strong."
Groom: "I give my heart, none else can tame it; I give my faith, none else can claim it as she; I give my life, for none shall shame her while I live; and I give my love, with no restraint now or ever."
Priestess: "And do you accept what he will give?"
Bride: "Yes, I, now and forever, claim his heart, faith, life and love!"
Priestess: "Very well, Do you give your compassion, that he may never again know sorrow; Do you give your hearth, that his journeys may always find an end; Do you him give your mercy, so his wounds might find comfort; Do you give him your love, through which each of you shall be eternally strong."
Bride: "I give my compassion, his tears are mine alone to weep; I give my hearth, his home is mine alone to keep; I give my mercy, his joy is mine alone to need; and I give my love, with no restraint, now or ever."
Priest: "And do you accept what she will give?"
Groom: "Yes, I, now and forever, claim her compassion, hearth, mercy and love!"
Priestess: "Two came unto us,"
Priest: "Two as one depart,"
Priestess: "Two shall love forever."
Priest: "Two shall ne'er depart."​

(The priests give a rose to the couple, and they place it tightly between their palms and face one another.)

Priestess: "Cuane of the Roses"
Priest: "And Poen of Song"
Priests: "Bless you, Unite you, and Free you, Two made One."​

[h1]Variant Bards in Service to Cuane and Poen[/h1]

Variant: Rose Bard of Poen
Sponsored by the priesthood of Rizaldi and operating out of Merryville in Hone Rae, the College of the Rose is the eldest and largest bardic college on the island with a professed membership of around 230. Founded in 1104 by King Elgrel II, the college has grown from its roots as the King's personal entertainment squad to become one of the most efficient information gathering groups on the island. The allegiance of the College is to Court Rizaldi, it's sponsor, though many whisper that the College works for Queen Tiliansia of Hone Rae, keeping her apprised of the strengths of the enemies of the small nation.

Gender: Rose bards are a fraternity, ladies who apply are directed to join the ranks of the Sacred Dancers of Cuane (who is Poen’s wife).

Class Features
The Rose Bard has all the standard bard abilities except as noted below.

Spellcasting: A Rose bard learns and casts spells as a normal bard with some minor exceptions. A Rose bard’s spells are divine, not arcane spells. This means that the Rose Bard can wear armor of any weight without affecting his spellcasting. The Rose Bard can’t learn any lawful or evil spells.

To learn or cast a spell, a Rose Bard must have a wisdom score (not charisma score) equal to at least 10+ the spell level. All other spellcasting factors, including bonus spells and save DCs, are still determined using the Rose Bard’s charisma score.

Add the spells from the good, chaotic, healing and air domains to the list of spells available to a Rose Bard except those of 7th through 9th level.

Power of Song and Dance: If a Rose Bard and a Sacred Dancer (see below) employ the same bardic music technique, the effects will stack (normally spell and ability effects don’t stack).

Variant: Sacred Dancer of Cuane
Feminine counterparts to the Rose Bards (see above), the sacred dancers employ mystical dances instead of music to inspire their allies. Often the dancers work with the bards and it isn’t unusual for them to intermarry.

Gender: Sacred Dancers are a sorority. Males that apply for entrance are gentle asked to instead join the Rose Bards.

Class Features
The Sacred Dancer has all the standard bard abilities except as noted below.

Armor Restrictions: Sacred Dancers have no training in the use of armor.

Bardic Knowledge: Sacred Dancers are not gossips on the same level as most bards and therefore do not have this class ability.

Fast Movement: The Sacred Dancer adds 10’ to her base movement rate.

Divine Grace: A Sacred Dancer adds her charisma modifier to her saving throws and, while she wears no armor, her AC.

Spellcasting: A Sacred Dancer learns and casts spells as a normal bard with some minor exceptions. A Sacred Dancer’s spells are divine, not arcane spells. Hence she can use armor without affecting her spells if she later acquires such training. However, the bardic music abilities of the Sacred Dancer can’t be used while in any armor.

To learn or cast a spell, a Sacred Dancer must have a wisdom score (not charisma score) equal to at least 10+ the spell level. All other spellcasting factors, including bonus spells and save DCs, are still determined using the Sacred Dancer’s charisma score.

Add the spells from the good, chaotic, healing and air domains to the list of spells available to a Rose Bard except those of 7th through 9th level.

New bard spells in Art of Magic that have the song component instead have no verbal component at all for a Sacred Dancer. Instead, she must perform a dance to cast the spell. The casting time of all such spells she learns is increased by 1 round (or to a full round if the dance. Add a Somatic component to the spell if it doesn’t already have one. A Sacred Dancer can’t cast spells with the song component while in armor at all (there is no spell failure chance – she simply can’t).

Power of Song and Dance: If a Sacred Dancer and a Rose Bard (see above) employ the same bardic music technique, the effects will stack (normally spell and ability effects don’t stack).

Bardic Music: Sacred Dancers employ dance rather than song to produce Bardic Music effects. As such they aren’t subject to being silenced. However, allies must have a line of sight to the Dancer to be affected. Also, the Sacred Dancer doesn’t gain a countersong. Instead she gains the counterdance (see below)

If a Sacred Dancer must concentrate to maintain an effect she can still move her normal movement distance as part of the standard action she uses to maintain the spell.

Being deaf doesn’t affect a Sacred Dancer, but dancing does provoke an attack of opportunity – however she is allowed to make a tumble check to avoid these attacks. Being deaf does prevent her abilities from stacking with a Rose Bard's since she will be unable to coordinate her performance with his.

Counterdance: A Sacred Dancer with at least 3 ranks in the perform skill may employ a counterdance to thwart gaze attacks and the bardic music effects of other sacred dancers (but not bards). Each round of the counterdance the Sacred dancer makes a Perform (Dancing) check, and her allies may use the result in place of their own saving throws.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases