Cube Zero (the new Cube movie)

Psionicist

Explorer
I just saw this movie and I can recommend it if you liked the first Cube. It isn't great, but it's definitely better than Cube 2: Hypercube. Cube Zero is pretty much what you'd expect from a new Cube movie, with different traps and a new genius, but it has some new surprising elements. Best of all, it will give you neat ideas for Dungeons & Dragons. :)

Edit: Oops, forgot the imdb link: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0377713/

Crothian

First Post
Does it go into the story of the reason for the cubes or is it just another "huh??" ? I like the first two but really would have liked more background into what was going on, they seemed like incomplete ideas and the writer had problems covering up that.

Chun-tzu

First Post
I'd have to say Cube2 was better than Cube Zero. The main actress in Cube Zero is okay, but the other two [from the first 2 movies] were better. Cube2 had some more compelling dynamics between the people trapped in the cube. Cube Zero... not so much. And some parts of Cube Zero are just incredibly cheesy. Like the whole end.

They are less vague about the mystery behind all this Cube stuff in this movie, but the answers we get aren't particularly interesting or compelling, especially after the build-up from the first two movies. I'm not entirely sure the 3 movies are completely consistent, either. Was the first Cube movie set in the future? Because this one sure is.

BTW, one of the guys in the cube this time looks a lot like Hurley from Lost.

Crothian

First Post
The first one didn't seem to be set in the future but it could have been as the people were basic "commoners" and the only part of outside the cube we saw was desert.

Can you spoil the third movie? I'm just curios what's going on.

Chun-tzu

First Post
At Crothian's request, more about Cube Zero:

Once again, we have a few people (4 or 5, I think) trapped in a giant cube with no idea how they got there. They work together to find a way out, but some of the rooms are rigged with various lethal traps. What's different this time is we see two guys, low-level techs, observing the people in the cube. This is their job. One of them, your typical nerd-character (genius with numbers, and chess, and also likes to draw), falls for the attractive female lead character, so he dares to defy the system and try to help her. We discover that these people have all been mind-wiped and they were all supposedly sentenced to death, but have chosen to brave the Cube for a chance to live. The purpose of the Cube is to test people on various physical and mental parameters (i.e., it really is just a cruel experiment). The technology is clearly way beyond 20th Century, with mindwiping and bio-chips, and so on. Not surprisingly, at least one person, the female lead, is innocent, and has been kidnapped and dropped into the Cube because she's a political dissident. There's more to the movie, but it's more-or-less your basic Cube storyline: how do they escape, who survives, what happens afterwards, etc.

Acid_crash

First Post
Is Cube Zero more graphic as far as blood goes like the first one? Cube 2 wasn't as graphic as the first one, so I'm wondering if they put the gore back in, or left it out.

Chun-tzu

First Post
A couple of the deaths are pretty gory, yeah. They don't shy away from graphic this time. Cube 2 had the scariest psycho, though, played by Geraint Wyn Davies (a very familiar face to anyone who's watched a fair bit of Canadian TV).

Remove ads