Hackmaster On Tap!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

I recently picked up the "Hackmaster GM's Guide." A friend here, Colonel Hardisson, has long praised the Hackmaster books, and it was his solid enthusiasm for them, as well as his great efforts to explain what the Hackmaster books contain, that continued to encourage me. Thus, I took the leap and bought the Hackmaster GM's Guide. While I don't have all of the books as of yet, I must say that the folks in charge have done a fine job with Hackmaster. This excellent book is huge, and is packed with all kinds of information. From what I can see, it does seem to deliver a 1E/2E combination, with lots of improvements. I think as a system standing on it's own, it would be very fun, and very cool.

While I am tempted to run a Hackmaster campaign, I find myself too pressed for time in general, and too invested with 3E to really attempt it. However, I have read many cool tables and lists, and details of cool things that can be blended with only a bit of effort to 3E. Just off the top of my head, the Fame, Honour, Diseases, Flaws/Talents, Family Honour, and other sub-systems are all very useful to a 3E DM. There are many other useful things as well, these are just a few.

The sense of humor is top-notch, as well. There is so much old-school references, I was laughing constantly. The wit throughout is just great! I must also note that, throughout the Hackmaster GM's Guide, there is a single voice that is by turn irreverent, admonishing, encouraging, and very funny. This single, unified "voice" while not the same--is refreshingly reminiscent to Gary Gygax from the famous 1E DM's Guide. It is disappointing that such a voice of sharp wit, scholarship, and humor has been lost with the 3E DM's Guide.

All in all, I have been enjoying just reading the Hackmaster GM's Guide. I am already integrating several elements from the Hackmaster GM's Guide into my own campaigns. There is some really excellent detail provided, with lots of the hard work done for you. There is a good amount of just cool stuff to integrate, and inspire you. I warmly recommend the Hackmaster books to all of you, and I look forward to buying the rest of the collection as time and resources allow.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

TalonComics

First Post
Yeah, Hackmaster is one of the coolest games I'll probably never get to play. I think one of the most enjoyable series for me has been the Hacklopedias of Beasts. As an old school 1st Ed. player it's a blast from the past to see some of the monsters redone and with more info. Some of them have even inspired me for my D&D game.

Also, don't forget Dr. Midnight has even done illustrations in them. :)

~D

Tsyr

Explorer
Hey shark, if you ever want to really make your players mad, and don't mind doing some table-hunting, use the Hackmaster critical hit tables :)

RiotGear

First Post
Hee Hee!

I know - I'm starting up a Hackmaster campaign myself. I'm waiting for Quest for the Unknown to come out, and then I'm going to bring all of my players together. Man, it's gonna be fun.

Actually, one thing I like about the critical hit tables is their sheer utility. Once you got the hang of looking things up on them (and doing so damn fast) you could, quite realistically, use them for EVERY SINGLE ATTACK. They're so well made... You'll have to buy them to understand.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Man there really is too much great stuff coming out right now for me (and my battered wallet) to keep up with!

The Scarred Lands, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Dragonstar and now Hackmaster!

The GMG has been getting such great reviews I feel like I'll have to pick it up eventually (and Quest for the Unknown - there is no way I'd let this rewoirking of my favourite 'old school' module go by even though its for a different game that'll probably never be able to convince my players to try :( ).

So many RPG's so little time & money!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
There are also tons of charts and lists that are so generic they can easily be used in any game - from the "Smart Ass Smackdown" table to charts for randomly generating taverns and dungeons. There are also things like lists of plants and their reputed properties, very much like the stuff you'll find in the 1e DMG.

Hard8Staff

First Post
To be completely frank...

The HackMaster GMG is the single BEST rpg product EVER made.

While containing NO FLUFF whatsoever, it delivers more useful material and advice than all three core books for 3e combined.

At $29.99 it's a steal....the content could have been stretched to a series of four 240 page books at $30 each.

It doesn't matter what game you play, this puppy has loads of advice on how to handle troublesome players, strategies for how to separate PCs from their cash, the most comprehensive and easy-to-use crit-hit tables EVER made (and I'm including the rolemaster ones), the most comprehensive and detailed NPC generation system, charts for dungeon dressing that exceed anything in the 1e GMG.

In short, this thing is massive.

But be forewarned, the text is small, tight and to the edge of every page. Not including charts, this thing has almost half a MILLION words. You know how long it takes to edit and write that much???

Huh? Do ya???

Jo Jo Zeke
Hard Eight Enterprises

Hard8Staff

First Post
and don't even get me started on the HackMaster GM Shield.

Other screens have 8 panels...OURS has THIRTY-TWO! While many tabbles are HackMaster specific, there are enough "generic" charts to exceed by 2-fold anything on any other games' charts. Like the random Bar-keep name generator. Or the alignment chart. Or the complete & unified critical hit chart.

Go order one today!

Mr. Zeke
HackMeister

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases