The Dire Porcupine

Nellisir

Hero
Grazzt said:

Do porcupines bite?

Porcupines eat bark & other tree "stuff" --- they've got bigger teeth than beavers. And yes, if you're getting a porcupine riled up, and the tail isn't handy -- they'll bite.

They've also got huge claws, but I can't see any way for porcupines to use them for fighting.

Cheers
Nell.

Nellisir

Hero
Alright, here are a few more thoughts. As always, these are just suggestions.

Without changing any stats, increase the size from 4'-7' to 5'-8', and the weight to 550lbs. Normal porcupines can reach 3' (nose to tail) without too much trouble (at least Bob, the Hingham Wildlife Rescue Center's resident porcupine did). It puts it in the same "dire" category as the badger, and I think porcupines are actually bigger than badgers (could be wrong though).

I'd also suggest changing STR to 16 (or even 18?), and dropping DEX to 10 or 8. The only quick thing about porcupines are their tails -- there's no way one should get a Dexterity bonus to AC. Those muscles, however, have to haul that 500 lb porcupine up trees every day....

The porcupines I've run into in the wild seem to have a sort of "trigger mechanism". If confronted, the porcupine raises its quills and waddles like heck towards something safe. The tail comes into action if anything touches the porcupine -- the tail instantly smacks around. The porcupine usually doesn't even look around.

Don't know if that's helpful, but what the heck.

:)
Nell.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Points well taken Nellisir and fixed (on my end). I may post the updated version of this guy a little later. Gotta playtest him for a bit and see how it works out.

Nellisir

Hero
Nellisir said:
(at least Bob, the Hingham Wildlife Rescue Center's resident porcupine did)...

...dropping DEX to 10 or 8.

Actually, it's the New England Wildlife Rescue Center in Hingham, MA...it's been awhile since I thought about it...

The coda to the "Bob" bit is that Bob moved so slowly, it took us a few hours to notice when he died. He used to roam the halls of the Center (sort of a random CR 1/8 trap, though he was quite friendly and liked to be petted), and slept alot...in the hallways. We just walked around him. The day he died, we didn't realize it until we went to put him back in his cage for the night.

:-/
Nell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases