Ships of the Goblinoids

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Ships of the Goblinoids is the first add-on supplement for their Seas of Blood maritime d20 system sourcebook.

Ships of the Goblinoids
by Matthew Sprange
Cover art by Anne Stokes
$9.95 32-page d20 sourcebook for DM`s and players alike.
ISBN: 1-903980-11-9

Overview: Last month Mongoose released Seas of Blood, what I predict will become the staple d20 rule set for maritime in D&D. While that 128-page book was packed (see review archive above) there is still room for some optional expansions. What a better way to do that than to produce booklets that help a DM and his crew decide just how detailed and fleshed out their maritime adventures should be! Also unlike those ridiculous, endless ship books for Starfleet Battles with a gazillion minor variations on the same basic design, these books are full campaign expansions, not just rosters of ships. Since this book is fully based off the mechanics in Seas of Blood, I`ll not be rehashing them here. The system is excellent, fast and fun. We playtested it thoroughly and still use it. This book should not be used without the core Seas of Blood book, naturally.

Review: The Anne Stokes cover art shows a crew of goblins marveling at a huge, green sea deity paying them a visit, an excellent eye-catching intro. Ships of the Goblinoids begins with the customary introduction and then delves into an overview on the terrifying aspects of goblins, orcs and the like getting restless and expanding into the open seas to plague the waters with their filth. Individual reasons behind taking to the seas are explored for goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears and orcs. And it`s good to note and use, as each contain ideas for DM`s to adapt as adventure seeds, and there`s a whole different point of view from a powerful orc chieftain turned captain wanting to expand his clan with booty from pirating to goblinoids building a “fleet” of rafts to face their opponents across the lake! Hobgoblins, we learn, are the best pirates and adapt fairly well to maritime life, while bugbears usually only serve aboard ships as special units, not really sailors in their own right. However, none of this text tries to preach or restrict DM`s in their campaign, instead, like their Slayer`s Guides, it has a DM stopping to think about his campaign.

In the next chapter we learn about the specific crews of the goblinoids. Like in Seas of Blood, each racial type is fully detailed in stat-block form in various levels of competence, including what they get paid and any racial modifications to the rules from Seas of Blood, including morale, mutiny and starvation. Different goblin ship crews, pirates, mercenaries and typical captains are presented to ease a DM setting up a full nautical adventure.

Next is a bit on new goblinoid weaponry. In addition to the multitude of weapons available to some from Seas of Blood, we learn the gruesome tactic of Disease Shot (catapulting ripe corpses onto enemy vessels) and the dreaded orc Hammerfist device, literally pounding enemy ships from the bow like a god`s angry arm.

And of course, the meat of the book is the big selection of new goblin ships. As in Seas of Blood, they are not just stat blocks, but a personal look and history of each type complete with full illustration and deck plans! The goblin ships are suitably pathetic (but a real danger in droves), including the “mighty” goblin war raft (snicker)! Specialized Hobgoblin ships come next, some include the Swift Sea cutter, Beacher landing craft, and a host of specialized frigates. Next we have the orc ships, including Battle Galleys, Tribal Transports, and two mighty battleships that have to be seen to be believed! Next comes a worthy mention on the modifications to a standard human (or other race) vessel captured and used by goblinoids, including stat modifications and description. Think of them as mini templates. Last are the previously mentioned set of deck plans. They are set out with squares, and suitably enlarged and printed would make excellent battle sets (we know, we`ve done just that). Any day now these deck plans, like those in Seas of Blood, will be available for download from the Mongoose Publishing Website.

Ships of the Goblinoids is worthy as, instead of a bunch of human ships conveniently retooled, they are completely new designs showing the inherent strengths (and weaknesses) of the races. Orc ships are covered with elaborate balconies to shed their light-sensitive eyes from the sun. Goblin ships reach new lows in logic and design and Hobgoblin ships are sleek, cruel and loaded with weaponry. The orc battleships show the overbearing might-makes-right style and approach inherent in their kind and are a great DM tool. Overall any serious maritime DM would be doing his group a great service (and his campaign a healthy dose of verisimilitude) by incorporating the cool ideas herein. An excellent buy and supplement to an already strong, fun rule set. Well done!

-Jeff Ibach

Feared across the ocean, a ship crewed by the goblinoid races is able to overcome any merchantman and many warships with a determined attack. These races live for war and battle, and their vessels are designed to fulfil this specific need on the high seas. Any adventurer taking to the sea should be very much aware of these ships, for goblinoid pirate and war fleets are a common feature of many oceans and if one is expecting to survive any such encounter, then a basic knowledge of the way these ships function is essential.

Cyric

Explorer
I was deeply impresses of Seas of Blood so I prayed for the day my local game store would receive this handbook.
It was a quick read and that is what is most disappointing: it's too thin. The information presented about seafaring goblinoids is nice but could have gone much deeper (as a DM of a Kalamar campaign I was very eager to get more information about Hobgoblins, as you can guess).
The ship's are nicely designed even though I had the same problem with some of them as in Seas of Blood: the bigger they get the more 'battletech like' they appear. Don't know, this may be a personal impression only, but to me they seem too gigantic, to technical.
I still like it as a quick reference for the crew statistics as well as most of the ship types. It's worth a try.

Remove ads