Call of Duty

Call of Duty is a sourcebook focusing on the hardest class to play: the paladin. Non-paladins, especially fighters and clerics, will also be interested in many of the new options.

- Variant: The paladin as a prestige class
- 9 New prestige classes that favor paladins complete with illustrations, and detailed NPCs
- 20 new feats designed for paladins
- Additional information on roleplaying paladins, the paladin's Code of Conduct, multiclassing paladins, and paladin organizations
- Ways to customize the paladin class
- 13 new paladin spells
- 21 new magic items

JoeGKushner

First Post
Call of Duty
Written by James Garr
Published by Chainmail Bikini Games
65 b & w pages (color cover)
$7

I’ve often been asked how I rate something. Part of it is how does it look? How does it read? Is it entertaining? Boring? What’s the layout like? Those are things that help form my initial impression. Another big part is how can I use this as a GM? Would I use it as a player? Low on the list is game balance issues. Not saying that these things aren’t important, but I’m much less likely to be critical of some powerful spells and magic items than I am a document with no illustrations and poor layout with okay ideas and sound mechanics. Somewhere along the way, price plays a part which depending on the price of the product and type of product (paper vs. pdf), I make a call. A goofy way to grade something? Perhaps but on those grounds, I’d like to state that Call of Duty is a top-notch supplement.

Unlike Beyond Monks, the book is a little light in the feats department. There are numerous feats that take advantage of the Paladin’s unique abilities and augment them but I was a little surprised by the lack of depth. In Beyond Monks, James displayed a massive amount of material (something like 80 feats) useful not only for martial artists, but to all campaigns. Here, you get some paladin specific goods like Aura of Healing where, the paladin’s aura of courage heals extra 2 points of damage. How about an augment Smite Evil via Bolster Smite Evil? You give up a turn undead roll and get extra dice for damage. How about Inspire Mount where you increase your mounts speed and provide a bonus to melee attack rolls? The feats seem solid and useable in a wide range of settings and allow a PC to customize his character in many ways. If he wants to be more of a healer to replace a missing cleric, Combat Healing and other feats go a long way but if he wants to be more of a knightly character, Heroic Effort and True Smite lend a lot more physical power to his abilities.

What really impressed me in the book were the prestige classes. DMing a campaign in the Scarred Lands, and being a player in another SL campaign, there were several PrCs I took to right away. The section starts off with a Paladin prestige class that goes for 15 levels, reproducing many of the paladin’s base abilities. Those who don’t like the Paladin as a core class finally have a PrC to strive for. Of more interest to me though were the PrCs that took the holy warrior aspect and twisted it. The Archon is focused on law and welcomes both good and evil individuals as long as they obey the law. If used in a lawful neutral manner, they’d make perfect servants of Hadrada in the SL setting. Those looking for a more wild ride will enjoy the Chaos Knight, a chaotic master of spikes and rage. One of the nice things about this PrC is that it offers abilities for fallen paladins, reminiscent of the Black Guard in the DMG and is one of the first classes to do so.

Not all of the PrCs are merely alignment shifts though. The Forge Avenger is a dwarf called to duty by the spirits of his ancestors. A nice take on dwarf lore and history that puts them into the paladin role. The Golden Pride Hunter is the creation of Myrcelon, a celestial being who favors the lion. The interesting bit of these individuals is that they are often drawn from the ranks of nobility that lay claim to lion heritage or affinity. It’d be interesting to have a member of the Proud in the SL abandon his brothers and follow this strange new method of combat.

Some of the other PrCs focus on expanding the Paladin Concept. For example, the Merseus are healers of mind, soul and body while the Penitent Sniper is a holy warrior unafraid to use ranged weapons. One of my favorite abilities of the Penitent Sniper is his Call Celestial Spotter, an ability that illuminates targets for the sniper.

There are other PrCs here like the Seelie Knight, a servant of the Pixie Queen and the Sensate, a psionic based PrC that ‘feels’ evil and must fight against it. Of use to those paladins who wish to specialize in the sword, the Sword Saint is right at home alongside the more militant PrCs in the SL campaign that worshiper Corean.

Now each of these is a 10 level PrC with full abilities listed and detailed. There are some great quotes to start off each section. My favorite is the Sniper, “Thou Shall Kill”, with the quote of the Archon, “Eveyone is guilty of something.” Coming in a close second. In addition to providing class abilities, background, and quotes, there are NPCs. Unlike the example NPCs in the Witch’s Handbook, I didn’t feel that these were a waste of paper.

Why Joe? Isn’t that a double standard? Well, if all these were consisted only of stats like the Witch’s Handbook, I’d say yes, but these are characters with names, backgrounds, motivations, and other bits to make them fully useable. I’ll be throwing Pale and some of the others into my campaign with few changes, and to me, that’s the sign of a good NPC.

Chapter Two, Role-playing Paladins, reads quickly and almost seems short. It’s not a section to define a paladin, not by any means, but it does provide a lot of ideas on how best to role-play a paladin. I liked the different ideas on why a character would answer the call, broken down by type, motivation, examples and implications. Take Justice, where your motivation is to provide justice to the innocent, but the implication is that say instead of taking care of a destroyed town and protecting it, you’d hunt down the people who did the act in the first place.

The section on Code of Conduct helps the player and GM understand the role playing restrictions starting with the lawful good alignment and working through the limitations on associates. It makes for good reading and I’ll be sure to hand out portions of this section to one of my players (you know who you are!) who sometimes acts more like a fighter with some clerical abilities than a paladin. Another section I’ll be handing him out is the Fall From Grace. It provides some insights into the repercussions of losing your paladin hood that I’ve never actively thought about.

I mean I know that a paladin loses his powers and abilities but never really thought of how that would effect the paladin on a physical or spiritual level. In some ways, I guess I’m used to all the angst that’s the rage these days so automatically assume most fallen paladins would fit right in there. The important thing I think most people can take away from this section thought is that these fallen ones are individuals who cannot atone rather than chose not to atone, as there is a difference between the two.

Now chapter three, A variety of Paladins, provides some solid ground for multiclassing paladins. In some ways, I hoped that we’d get the tables showing the level advancement to go along with the names. For example, Monk/Paladins fall under the Disciple, while Sorcerer Paladins are Arcane Defenders. An interesting variant that I don’t recall seeing anywhere before is the Odd Combinations where ex classes are thrown in with the Paladin. Ex-Barbarian/Paladin anyone? The advice on when to switch over as well as what benefits are lost and how best to role play these characters is solid and many newer players will take joy in the options they never knew they had.

For GMs looking to expand upon the nature of the paladin in the campaign, Paladin Orders provides the GM with lots of ideas to create his own orders and decide how best they fit into the game. It does this by providing some general ideas of why orders are formed and then makes the GM answer a list of questions to help flesh out the order. For those who are brain dead, the Silver Hand example order should ease their pain.

This chapter closes out with options on customizing the paladin. If I had seen this before Book of the Righteous, I would think, fantastic, but since Holy Warriors and some of the ideas I’ve seen since then, I merely add this to my list of ideas to tinker with when I’ve got more time. There are abilities that may be sacrificed in order to gain greater abilities or different abilities. Don’t want Detect Evil? Take Detect Chaos. Don’t want Smite Evil? Take Clerical Turning as a cleric of equal level. Most of the mechanics seem sound as they are often straight one for one switches but some GMs will want to watch the choices players make carefully and shouldn’t be afraid to disallow anything.

Chapter 4 introduces new magic to the campaign, starting off with spells and moving onto magic items. I disagree with some of the design philosophy behind the divine spell list options. Here the author states that because of the ability to wear armor and other benefits, that when new divine spells are introduced an equal amount should be taken out. I see where he’s coming from but I think that because Arcane spells have such a battle field focus that divine spell casters are usually underrepresented anyway so add away I say. There are thirteen new spells, two 1st, four 2nd, four 3rd, and three 4th. The summary allows the reader to quickly find what he’s looking for like Pious Strength where your strength increases by your wisdom bonus or one soul, where you and your mount have a pool of hit points. I enjoyed this section as I’ve always felt that paladins suffered a bit on their spell list and will be adding these right away to my campaign with few, if any changes.

For the magic items, James provides some sound advice in making items more than just generic named toys for the players by comparing a +1 sword to Newal’s Folly, the same +1 sword with a description, history and current location. This section includes special abilities, common magic items and unique magic items. Want to really make the evil doers feel the pain? Use the Holy Burst property (or the Unholy Burst for those evil campaigns.). Want a specific weapon? Try Newal’s Vengeance, a sword with humble beginnings that is now a gnoll bane holy weapon. How about Pinnacle, an intelligent holy weapon that always comes back to the mortal realm? This artifact is truly a campaign length worthy goal for that high level paladin and it’s preference (16th level or higher) insures that lower level characters don’t wind up with something too much for them. Turnabout is fair play thought and GMs may give their Black Guards the Unholy Destroyers, holy avengers that have become corrupted in the abyss.

Layout is simple with no borders or color interiors, as far as I’m concerned, a good thing in a PDF File. My printer thanks Chainmail Bikini for this. Boxed text is used to illustrate specific points like law vs. chaos as opposed to good vs. evil and works well. One of my issues with the previous book, Beyond Monks, was the poor graphics. That issue is handled here with a full color cover and excellent interior art work handled by Brian England and David Zenz, both of whom capture the feel of the PrCs and ideas without any looking silly or too knight like.

There are a few other things I would’ve liked to see in this product, like more ideas and information about the orders for example. How about some solid, detailed maps to go along with that? Some discussion on races and paladins would’ve been nice too. Besides, James writers in a colorful manner and I’d love to see his take on an order of half-orcs. To see the differences in say a halfling paladin and a gnome paladin, or even some of the template creatures from the Monster Manual, would’ve made another satisfying chapter. Lastly, this is a little pricy for a PDF file. Not much, just about $1 to $2 depending on what you're comparing it to.

That’s more of a preference call on my part though. I found the PrCs to be useful immediately. The NPCs well rounded. The game mechanics fairly sound and the ideas well presented. In short, it’s a book to compare other Paladin based books to as a new standard and deserves to be on any Corean serving PC’s shelf.

Chainmail Bikini

First Post
Thanks for the review, Joe. We had a lot of fun writing and playtesting the book. We're going to do a web expansion for Call of Duty, probably next year, so if anyone has any feedback for us please visit us at http://www.chainmailbikini.com or post on ENWorld's boards. Joe already has me thinking more about non-human paladins...

James Garr
Chainmail Bikini Games, Ltd.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Good product that's already getting use in my campaign. As I look around, I'm starting to realize that my comment about prices may be out of synch with reality too. Ah, growing old... kids, don't do it!

Krug

Newshound
This is a review copy.

The Paladin has a surfeit of riches recently. Malladin's Gate did an excellent supplement on the much-maligned class, and now Chainmail Bikini has jumped into the fray as well with Call of Duty. Fans of the Paladin should be happy, as these books have taken different approaches and the material does not overlap much.

Call of Duty is 67 pages, and divided into 4 chapters: Feats and Prestige Classes, roleplaying Paladins, varieties of Paladins and new spells and items for the Paladin.

Feats and Prestige Classes is exactly that. New feats for the Paladin, such as the ability to deal greater damage while smiting, or the ability to add his paladin level to one roll per day. Instead of being a basic class, the Paladin is introduced as a Prestige Class, requiring the new Call of Duty feat and a BAB of +5 for a character to take.

Besides this, several other Prestige Classes that utilize code of conducts are introduced as well, and some of these need not have LG as an alignment. For those who like prestige classes, there's a lot here, such as the Seelie Knight, the Penitent Sniper and even a Chaos Knight. Who says chaotics can't have some fun? Chainmail bikini has included a detailed sample character for each PrC, which adds to this section's usefulness. The PrCs here are well thought-out and original, and are well worth a look.

Roleplaying Paladins goes through the Code of Honor in depth. It gives much insight into roleplaying the Paladin, but might be more helpful for starting GMs and players.

The next chapter a variety of Paladins goes through various class combos for the Paladin, such as Cleric/Paladin or Wizard/Paladin. It also gives rules for Paladin orders, and finally, rules for customizing the Paladin. You may give up certain Paladin abilities to pick up others; such as dropping detect evil in order to pick up detect chaos or undead, for example, or even giving up spell slots for an additional smite evil ability.

Finally there's a bevy of spells and magic items for the Paladin. The spells are fairly interesting and fit the Paladin quite well, particularly the Mentor and One Soul spells.

Overall, Call of Duty if a fine supplement for enhancing the Paladin, and gives much food for thought in making this character useful and playable. If there was a core class that should have made the change to a prestige class it would be the Paladin, and this supplement shows how it can be done. There's a nice mix of the crunch and the creamy, and I highly reccomend it. I wouldn't say it's essential, but it does go into a lot of detail in understanding and expanding the role of the Paladin.

Chainmail Bikini

First Post
Krug,

Thanks for the review!

One question: Is there anything in Call of Duty you thought could use some improvement or expansion? As I posted on Joe's review, we're working on a web enhancement for the book and want to know what you'd like to see.

Thanks again,

James Garr
Chainmail Bikini Games, Ltd.
http://www.chainmailbikini.com

By Chris Sims (aka Khur), Staff Reviewer d20 Magazine Rack

Sizing Up the Target
Focusing on the paragon of virtue amongst the core classes, Call of Duty weighs in as a 66-page PDF. Written by Chainmail Bikini Games' James Garr, you can get this book now for $7 on RPGNow.

First Blood
Call of Duty is jammed with ideas for the paladin. Without much fanfare, the PDF jumps right into game material for the would-be knight (and others). For your buck you get new feats, new knightly prestige classes, the paladin as a prestige class, new magic items and spells, and a wide range of advice for customizing your true hero or heroine. The PDF is attractively illustrated, serviceably designed (justified type is bad in many places), and takes full advantage of PDF navigation capabilities. The writing and editing are good too (though the use plural pronouns in place of singular ones is onerous).

Critical Hits
Four words: meaty, diverse, thoughtful, and imaginative.

The material focuses on the paladin, but much of it can be used for other characters fighters and clerics. Many of the feats allow customization of a paladin's abilities through specific uses of channeling positive energy (turn attempts per day), which is a nice mechanic. The idea of the paladin as a prestige class is fantastic, and all of the other classes in Call of Duty are very creative ideas as well. (Not all of the classes require a paladin background, though a character usually derives some benefit from present or former paladin status.) Each of the classes comes with a grand bonus too: an NPC exemplar of the class.

The information on roleplaying and customizing paladins is particularly useful and well done. While these sections aren't all "crunchy" rules (there are some), they are extremely valuable advice for modifying, using, and adjudicating paladins in a unique way in the campaign. Even veterans will find many things to make them better players or DMs within the demesne of the paladin. A single quote can be used to display the depth and breadth of Garr's thoughtful treatise on this unique class, "Remember, however, that a paladin is not restricted from aiding an evil creature. The most benevolent paladins have been known to save villains from fates that even they did not deserve, and have even managed to redeem such souls." Many examples of this type of broad thinking occur in the book.

Critical Misses
Like numerous small-press releases, Call of Duty suffers from imbalances; some are severe, some not. There are feats that fail to be clear about their own ramifications (Aura of the Sun: Does it actually damage vampires? What spell level of darkness suppresses it?), contradicted by other options in the book (using lay on hands as a free way to bolster paladin abilities when using turning attempts in the same way requires specific feats for each instance), or strange and unnecessary (Craft Divine Arms, Call of Duty). A few of the new spells suffer similar problems.

Where the mechanical problems are worst is the prestige class abilities, which are often too powerful for the prerequisites the class requires (such as the Archon's Judge, Verdict, and Jury abilities). This fault includes the prestige paladin, which is considerably mightier than a core paladin. No few of the classes include an ability to summon aid, yet all of these abilities produce an effect like that of lesser planar ally, but interpret that spell poorly (no repayment to the called outsider, no solid limit to duration, and failure to reconcile the fact that called creatures truly die if slain). Words to the wise: the prestige classes require scrutiny before inclusion in any game, and 32-pages of this book are devoted to them.

Coup de Grace
Call of Duty is an admirable product, all of it OGC. Some minor errors and imbalanced mechanics leave compliance issues, and thus a lower score. However, the book takes paladins to a whole new level of playability and uniqueness for players and DMs. Finally, the class inspired by the legends of Charlemagne and his peers has some worthy treatment.

To see the graded evaluation of this product and to leave comments, go to Fast Tracks at www.d20zines.com.

Remove ads