Book of Vile Darkness

IronWolf

blank
A sourcebook by Monte Cook containing "mature content". Details are sketchy at this time - the ad in WotC release catalog originally said "Details slavery, human sacrifice, prostitution, and other sensitive issues in a mature fashion", but that reference has since been removed. Monte has confirmed that he wrote no material on prostitution for it.

The book has eight chapters, an introduction and an appendix.

Chapter One:

The first bit is about defining evil in your game. "Evil" is very clearly defined as not being misunderstood, but truly, unrepentantly vile. Several examples follow that help one define whether an act is evil or not. Next is definitions of evil acts, such as theft, lying, betrayal, or murder. Such things could be used as a yardstick for determining evilness.

After that several fetishes and addictions are defined, along with any relavant game mechanics (those interested in self-mutiliation are rarely at full hit points, for example).

Next there are detailed several vile gods; not the demon princes (those have a whole chapter to themselves) but simply other very evil gods.

Also included are vile races (particularly evil versions of humans and halflings), a few ready-to-run vile villains, and a couple of malign sites.

Chapter Two

This is the varient rules. It includes the rules for being possessed (and which demons can do it, and what they can do with a possessed person), making sacrifices (and the kinds of power people gain from it the more vile it is), curses, diseases, and several other vile things (like using souls or liquid pain in magic item creation).

Chapter Three

This is all the torture devices, poison, drugs, and execution equipment that any evil villain ever needed. Rules are supplied for using and/or making all of the above. One particularly evil thing included was traps for armor, weapons, or equipment. Remember how Blade's sword was really deadly to those that tried to pick it up that didn't know its secret? Same idea, but think of things like armor that explodes if you put it on wrong.

Chapter Four

Feats, feats, feats. Also included are the new vile feats, for which you have to be evil. The power granted is supernatural rather than extraordinary. There are several feats that allow one to effectively "metamagic" spell-like abilities, which could be deadly in the hands of demon or devils. Other feats brand you as the thrall of evil minons. Others are abilities you gain for willingly deforming yourself.

Chapter Five

Prestige classes. Several disciples and thralls of various powerful demons and devils. Also those that specialize in summoning infernal or abyssal beings, along with PrCs for devils, demons, or vampires.

Chapter Six

Magic. Many new spells and magic items of the vilest sort. My time skimming this chapter was punctuated with squeals of "Ew! Ew! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!!" Most of the spells in here are utterly evil. A few are mostly utility for dark powers (spells that extinguish light or preserve organs) while others are used for very dark purposes. Some are disgusting, true, while some are simply evil (a spell that causes damage not to the target, but to a close friend or loved one, for example). Any PC with a shred of decency will look upon the casters of most of these spells with horror. (Case in point, look at the picture for rapture of rupture on the page following the spell description.)

Most of the spells have a cost. Some can only be cast by outsiders. Some cause temporary or permanent ability damage (a la Call of Cthulhu). Others can only be cast if the person is currently suffering from a specific disease or poison.

Next follows the evil magic items and artifacts. Most are quite vile, though on weapon special ability leapt out at me as unbalanced. The Cursespewing weapons quality casts bestow curse, a fourth level spell, time it deals damage. You need a DC 15 Will save to avoid the effects. Yet it only has a +1 market price. I would up that considerably.

However, most of the other weapons look better balanced. Most are quite frightning. Angelkiller forces celestials to save or die whenever it damages one. The Armor (and Belt) of the Dread Emperor are truly among the most vile (to me) items in the book (trust me on this).

Chapter Seven

The Lords of Evil. Here you are, your Demon Lords and Archdevils. Yup. They're here, they're the living embodiment of evil. Note they are not presented as dieties, though you could very easily make them so with Dieties and Demigods.

Chapter Eight

Evil monsters. Includes new demons, new devils, the return of an old favorite, the eye of fear and flame, kythons (mindless creatures of evil, the experiments of fiends), a nasty hailing from Carceri, a particularly evil undead, and three temples (bone, a smart skeleton, corpse, a smart zombie, and corrupted, a beyond fiendish template for the extremely evil)

Appendix

The only place where running an evil campaign is here, a three-page appendix giving a few ideas on how to run a campaign with one or more evil PCs.

Conclusion

Things are presented in a clear and non-sensationalist manner. At two points during the book, there are author's notes pointing out that he does not endorse any of this material at all. This book is simply to add an extra dimension to certain types of games.

The vile acts are defined in an almost dictionary-like fashion. This material is not "played up" or glorified. The ideas presented within, if set against PCs, would certainly urge them to destroy such evil rather than join or revel in it.

All in all, I found it to be a good purchase. Using such material would allow a DM to create evil foes that need such great heroes as the PCs to stop them.

My reason for giving this a four out of five was mostly because of the cost. At roughly $33.00 U.S. and 192 pages, this is somewhat expensive for the size.

Henry@home

First Post
The Book of Vile Darkness - a book of great controversy, a book of great potential, a book that will change the face of how people perceive D&D forever.

Well, not really. At least, not in my humble opinion.

The Book of Vile Darkness spans 192 pages, is a full-color illustrated tome, hardcover, and although in my opinion perhaps not quite worth to me full cover price, it is definitely worth the price charged at most of the discount emporiums that this title is currently available.

Chapter 1, The nature of Evil, is a useful, though not fully in-depth look at what goes into both the definition of evil in a campaign, and what should go into a villain when designing him or her. Other products, such as Kenzerco's villains product, may go into greater detail, this book describes the motiviations of a villain more from the standpoints of desire and revenge. The main mechanics of this book fall into covering the whys and wherefores of said power and revenge, hence the focus.

Chapter 2 through 6 cover the mechanics of evil. Chapters 2 (Rules for possessions, sacrifices, curses, and diseases), CHapter 3 (Equipment from devices to poisons), Chapter 4 (Feats), Chapter 5 (Prestige classes), and Chapter 6 (Magic) -- all of these are the meat and drink of an evil villain. In my opinion, the thought that went into said devices and methods is very good, and very thorough, giving me more ideas than I have ever thought about for my evil NPC's.

However, and should I have one gripe about this book, this is it -- it does not go far enough. Lest you think I've lost my mind, I refer to the POWER that these devices and methods confer. For example, the idea of corrupt spell components is a brilliant one, and one I cannot believe I never fathomed before. However, for all the trouble one goes through to acquire some of these things, one must wonder why a villain would bother. For example, using the heart of a good dragon of at least 15 Hit dice as a spell component, which is consumed by the spell in the casting, nets you -- What? a +1 DC to your spell's saving throw modifier. even then, there is a chance for failure, and I cannot see a caster, even a fairly high level one, having a ready supply of these on hand as "throwaway items." Some others are much better in my opinion (humanoid brain doubles your range, anyone?) but in all, to me the effects do not outweigh the trouble of fresh producrement for a villain. For this much trouble, one would more likely research the creation of an ability boosting item, or an item that gives the equivalent of spell focus. No chance of failure, and once procured, such is permanent.

Similarly to sacrifices. While many of the sacrifice benefits are good, most do not strike me as incredibly useful, unless a villain were to do them JUST before undertaking a difficult but quick mission, or just before leading his troops to victory.

The chapter on poisons is excellent, and very well extrapolated from the Song and Silence work of last december. Where was this darned book when my player with his PC ninja wanted to make centipede venom??? A truly excellent chapter on poisons, and of some truly nasty equipment. How about an NPC that is addicted to distilling liquid pain from innocent victims for both spell use and pleasure?!?! How would your players react to such a foul monster?

Also, I want to see the look on the next party thief who runs into another player sadistic enough to put a glyph of warding on his OWN backpack, just on the principle of warding out theft. Alas, if there were only smilies in reviews. :)

Both the feats and prestige classes are good, though to me uninspired compared to some of Monte's Malhavoc Press work. I could easily see some of Monte's Eldritch feats fitting into this book in a heartbeat. As they are though, the prestige classes will be just the thing for the DM with that devil-worshipping cultist that the party wants to track down and slay. There's nothing quite like seeing a cultist with powers that match their object of worship. In particular, watch for the Soul Eater Prestige class; this combined with an already physically powerful creature will be a memorable villain for any campaign. I have always been a fan of "relentless hunters" as an NPC concept, and I am torn between this one and the Mortal Hunter PrC as for which one will be the scariest for PC's to encounter.

The long-awaited Demons and Devil Lords chapter was good, and Monte decided to stick with the non-epic side fo the power scale for most of the unique creatures therein. Much has been macde in independent reviews and conversation about the realtive power levels; frankly, I am glad that the villain are within the reach of high-level and low-epic PC's; back in the heady days of 1st edition D&D, it was considered a great accomplishment (indeed, the pinnacple of one's career) to destroy or banish a demon or devil prince; Taking onthe ultimate bad guys and winning was a great thrill back them. By putting most of these dark luminaries in the range, it introduces the feel that evil can indeed be palpably beaten, though it be overwhelming and lethal if unchecked.

A grand selection of evil monsters and templates grace the final chapters. Without going into too much detail here, many old monsters are revisited, such as the baubau, the Chasme, and eye of fear and flame. New ones (such as the Kocrachon, or the impalers, slaymasters, and slaughterkings, make life for PC's uncertain, nasty, brutish, and short.

Finally, a small (VERY small) section is devoted to both running PC anti-heroes in a campaign, as well as outright villains. As the book notes numerous times, it is NOT a glorification of same, and a rather frank discussion into differences of motive, methods, and other points to alter in your campaign if you go through with an all-evil campaign.

OVERVIEW: The book of Vile Darkness is light on the vile, heavy on the dark. If one has watched the following three movies:

1) Hannibal
2) Seven
3) 8 mm

then this book cannot shake you. It has nothing viler than these movies. In fact, even the art, even the dreaded page 112, that being a picture of a dwarvish looking male impaling a planetar or deva with his sword, is not disgusting, though it might border on blasphemous to some. My own wife found the item known as the Despoiler of Flesh more disgusting than anything in the book, while I did not think any worse of it than the Eye or Hand of Vecna. Everyone will likely find a "squeamish button" somewhere in the Book, but everyone's squeamish button will be in different places.

If you are looking for a book of ideas to challenge your PC's get this book. If you are looking for a book to complement a campaign of evil PC's, and wish to let them become as evil as possible in a mature yet not adolescent story, get this book. If you find torture, slavery, sacrifice, and ultra-powerful demon-lords abhorrent, DO NOT GET THIS BOOK.

Thank you for your time.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
The Book of Vile Darkness is a supplement covering evil in a D&D campaign published by Wizards of the Coast.

Notes: This review was based on my spending a couple of afternoons at my FLGS going through this book and taking notes for the review. I did not purchase the book, and do not have it here for reference when writing my review, so it is possible that due to bad notes or a poor memory, some of my quotes/statements of the material contained in the book are erroneous.

Percent of OGC: 0%

First Impressions: I had really high expectations when I heard about this book. As I heard more and more rumors about the content, however, I became increasingly nonplussed. When I received a "preview" of the material in Dragon #300, I was doubly non-plussed, and lowered my expectations further - to the point where the only thing I really was looking forward to out of this was the Demon Lords and Archdevils included therein. When I saw it in my FLGS, I tried to approach it with the same positive expectations I had when I first heard about it. Unfortunately, this book was even worse than my WORST expectations would have prepared me for. The presentation of this book, like most other WotC books, is top-notch. Monte Cook's writing is tactful and surprisingly well-done. The problem is that the "meat" of the book is extremely poorly done, and no amount of slick packaging can cover for the taste that leaves in your mind.

Initial Annoyances: The "Warning: Mature Content" sticker on the front is annoying, and those who will want to purchase this should do so ASAP and remove that darn thing before it mucks up the cover. Bad idea to put those on. The second thing that struck me is that a casual flip-through of the book to check out the artwork tells me that "vile darkness" can be summed up in three themes: body piercing, skin peeled away to expose flesh and bone, and mammary glands (popularly known as "boobies!"). Let's just say I found this peurile at best and leave it at that. While I can't fault the technical work on most of the art (the body piercings and boobies DO look well-drawn), I will take issue with the gratuitousness of the subject matter.

Chapter one is the best of the chapters... the book starts out fairly strongly, but it's all downhill. We are treated to a quote from the PHB - "Good and evil are not just philosophies in the D&D world. They are actual forces that shape the cosmos." It's a good reminder that at the end of the day, D&D is a game of moral absolutes - in the D&D universe, there are some things that are intrinsically evil, whether we like to believe that or not - you can't spin them or explain them through circumstance to make them good. An enumeration of acts that are defined as "evil" in a "standard" D&D game is put forth - in addition to things such as "murder" we have things such as lying, animating the dead, and casting spells with the Evil descriptor - things a lot of players may want to spin. There IS a section on including "relative" morality in a D&D game but it notes that this creates some real problems (e.g., if two paladins with different ethos both use detect evil, what does it detect?). This is NOT going to be a popular chapter with those players - especially who play paladins - that try to get away with these sorts of things (LOL - "Just because you call them a blasphemer doesn't mean you can run your sword through everyone!"). Also addressed are treating evil in a campaign and more specifically, creating an evil villain. The book then spends the rest of the time trying to open up mechanics addressing the means to the end of evil.

Chapter two is still fairly good - there are rules for possessions (excellent), diseases (good), curses (fair), and sacrifices (poor) here. Unlike other areas of the BoVD, these sections (specifically the disease section) make good use of the "icky" factor - diseases are not pleasant, and they are not treated that way. The rules on possessions are very well done and the rules on curses and sacrifices are kind of so-so. The curses tend to play a little too much to the "gross-out" factor, while the sacrifices are of dubious mechanical interest (mostly relying on a Knowledge-religion check - a bad idea as it suggests that a 20th-level character with maxxed ranks will derive as much or more benefit from sacrificing a small rabbit as a 1st-level character would from sacrificing a willing virgin in a day-long ceremony on an altar in front of thousands of worshippers) and certainly do not seem to provide enough power to the BBEG (that's Big Bad Evil Guy) to be worth the while. Making sacrifices' efficacy dependent on Knowledge: Religion is simply a bad idea that leads to poor game balance. The "corrupt spell components" suffer even more greatly from mechanical problems. I expect to see this level of work (and have seen it) from third-party publishers, and it's not obviously bad, so I won't take too much umbrage with it.

Chapter three is where the book seemed to slide of the cliff for me. The section on poisons is good and useful. The rest of the chapter is awful. Rules for torture devices and executions are introduced that work very hard to steer clear of that nasty little "bug" in the D&D system known as "hit points." Very disappointing. Profession: Executioner is beyond broken, as all you have to do is wander around with an axe and a buddy who is good at grappling (or hold spells) to pin your victim and you can bypass such annoying things as high AC and high Hit Points. Just get your buddy to grapple and pin the opponent and make a skill roll in Profession: Executioner to beat DC 18 (note that a first level character with maxxed ranks and Skill Focus already has a +6 before his ability bonus is even contemplated - that's a 40% chance of instant kill regardless of hp or AC of opponent). Instead of worrying about BAB, people will worry about Ranks in Profession - after all, you're only shooting for 18. And if you *miss*, you "only" get a coup de grace anyway. This is SEVERELY broken. Also disappointing are the representations of the obvious - torture someone and you do some damage and you can get a bonus to your Intimidate check. Any DM that hasn't Rule-Zeroed that one into his campaign already flat out isn't thinking. The entire section on execution and torture was, IMO, in very poor taste (note: I didn't say that including such a section was in poor taste, I said that this treatment was in poor taste) both from a style standpoint and, more importantly, from a mechanical standpoint. Ugh.

Chapter four is even worse (if that can be imagined) - we get Feats such as Willing Deformity, wherein the character mutilates himself to gain a bonus to Intimidate Checks (whatever happened to Skill Focus - Intimidate, I wonder)? The mechanical effect of the Feat is identical to SF: Intimidate (except that it is the prerequisite for some of the other Feats). Why not use SF: Intimidate? If the mechanical effects are the same, the Feat is the same, flavor text notwithstanding. The obvious addition to the d20 rule-set - a Feat that allows metamagicking of Spell-Like Abilities - is the only Feat worth a darn here. The most useless Feat, IMO, is the one (Corrupt Spell?) that changes half your energy damage from a spell into "vile energy" damage. Just think, kids, instead of lightning bolt doing 8d6 electrical damage, you can have a lightning bolt that does 4d6 electrical damage and 4d6 vile electrical damage (BTW, creatures immune to or resistant to electricity are just as immune to/resistant to vile electricity). What does vile damage do? Well, you have to work to find it, as it is not all that obvious, but there is a little paragraph that tells you that vile damage cannot be healed - naturally or magically - unless the character is within a "consecrate" or "hallow" spell. This also seems VERY broken to me, though it is a tradeoff that makes evil more powerful "now."

Chapter five - the Prestige Classes - is of less interest than Chapter four. Let's just say I found these classes so uninspiring, I have no notes of them and an abiding wish that I had never wasted my time looking at them. Nothing here said, "great villain class for X" to me. Instead, I was left completely nonplussed.

Chapter six covers magic. Great chapter if you're interested in spells that deal with blood, vermin, and semen (both with and without the fiendish template). Other than that, nothing interesting to see here. The spells in Dragon #300 actually rank among the BEST spells you'll find here. Bodily fluids aren't evil, they're just icky.

Chapter seven covers the long-awaited Demon Lords and Archdevils. This one was going to disappoint people no matter how they did it - some want non-epic DLs and ADs, some want them epic, some want them deific. Put me in whatever boat allows them to grant spells - something which they cannot do (explain again, then, why they have worshipers?) and which strikes me as problematic. The power level here is barely epic, and there is what feels like a "concession" paragraph telling the DM to just give them a Divine Rank 1 if he so desires, but "it really doesn't change much." What a cop-out. The Demon Lords are written up to a decent standard, though nothing we didn't see over a year ago with Scott Greene's Creature Catalogue site here on ENWorld. The Archdevils, OTOH, were a huge disappointment to me based on one thing - the prevailing paradigm that every new edition of D&D requires a re-shuffling of the pantheon (including the denizens of Hell). Gone is Moloch, enter the Hag Countess. Gone is Geryon, enter Levistus. Gone is Baalzebul the man, instead we have Baalzebul the slug. Awful. Changes were not needed nor wanted (at least by me). And for goodness' sake, drop the Blood War already, Planescapers notwithstanding. There is nothing here that I hadn't seen well over a year ago from Scott, and they seem to have made changes for the sake of change. Major deduction in points there. Suffice to say that the "Archdukes" we got in Legions of Hell were done up a whole lot better than this crew. And can someone please explain why Asmodeus' actions (wiping out the other archdukes, then re-instating most of them except the Moloch and then arbitrarily wiping off his loyal cohort, Geryon) are classed as Lawful? Randomly killing and reinstating your followers, as well as offing your loyal allies, seems more like the actions of a Chaotic to me.

Chapter eight returns a few of the devils/demons/undead from the past with a few new ones. This chapter was okay; I was happy to see the return of the Spawn of Kyuss and the Eye of Fear and Flame to the D&D canon.

Finally. a few paragraphs are devoted to running an "evil PCs" game. It explicitly mentions that this book is not meant to glorify evil. I'll say. If I was considering running an evil character, I would NOT be looking to this book for ideas outside of the hideously broken Profession: Executioner (I give up THIS MUCH for THAT LITTLE!?! WHAT?!? I'm gonna go join the good guys - the power profit margins are better). To echo Henry @ Home's review - this book does not go far enough... not in pushing the "yuck" envelope, but in terms of granting power. I thought the point of evil was "lots of power now, worse payout later." There's not even the "lots of power now" here to make things attractive - especially to "munchkins" (again, except for Profession: Executioner).

Production: Technically solid, but unfortunately seems to rely on the "piercings and boobies" theme mentioned above to set to mood. Gah.

Conclusion: Underwhelming and overhyped. It's nicely packaged, and Monte Cook did the best he could with a poor situation (I actually feel kind of sorry for him), but the content here is astoundingly subpar. If you can't wait to get your hands on demon sperm (spells), this book is for you (hope you note the satire of the BoVD hype there). If you are desparate to see the Archdevils and Demon Lords, I guess this book is for you. Otherwise, this book is a colossal waste. The subject matter covered *IS* appropriate to some D&D games, but this treatment of it, while tactful, also managed to grossly butcher it - the treatment of the subject matter was poor (not tactless, though). You could distill all of the "good parts" into a 16-page book. Definitely nowhere near the $33 cover price in value.

This one is appalling not as a kneejerk to "its subject matter is icky", but rather because despite the tactful and thoughtful writing by Monte Cook, the mechanical treatment of the subject matter was horrid... and because a lot of the stuff here seemed gratuitous and unneccesary. I think once the hype of "wow, it's EVIL" wears off and people get the chance to examine the meat of what's in here, they will be as disappointed as I was.

AEG's "Evil" and Mongoose's "Demonology: The Dark Road" did a MUCH more compelling job (for me) with much of the same subject matter and the two of them together are roughly the same price as the BoVD. This product had so much potential - but there's nothing worse than unused potential, and that's all this book is.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW: Upon further review, the book in fact did in fact address most (not all) of my initial concerns. But it raised even more problems. The rules for executions are *horrifically* broken as they completely sidestep two of the most fundamental rules of the game - AC and hp - and in the process make it laughably easy to kill powerful things. The rules for sacrfices are broken (to a lesser degree, though). Vile damage? Probably broken. Re-reading the book solved a couple of problems but in doing so brought up even more problems. The content itself probably is deserving of a two, but the more-broken-than-ground-glass mechanics barely merit a one. Overall, then, I have to let my initial grade of a "1" stand, though it is a "high" 1 - and on the borderline of "2".

--The Sigil
October 19, 2002

Edit: Attempted to clean up some of the ranting to leave a more analytical review.

Edit 2: Changed a few names to accurately reflect the contents of the book, added discussions of Profession: Executioner, Vile Damage, and why Asmodeus is not Lawful Evil. Added the "Upon Further Review" Section.

By Bruce Boughner, Staff Reviewer and Co-host of Mortality.net Radio

This review is for the Book of Vile Darkness by Monte Cook. Published by Wizards of the Coast, this 189-page book retails for $32.95. WARNING! Content is intended for Mature Audiences only. This label is applied to Wizard of the Coasts’ long anticipated Book of Vile Darkness. Tracy Hickman, of Dragonlance fame, after viewing ONLY the pre-lease teaser in Dragon Magazine went online condemning this book before its release. Let me say this, the WORST part of the Book of Vile Darkness WAS in the Dragon insert. This is not to say that there are no taboo subjects in this tome, there are, it is an area that others have touched upon, but never the core producers.

The book starts with an introduction defining it as a sourcebook of evil. It deals with “fictional gore, extreme violence, human sacrifice, addiction, corrupt magic and deviant behavior”. Not a product for the lily-livered. Also you are admonished to HIDE this book from players, being a DM’s book only.

Chapter One deals with the definition of evil, and how to implement it into a campaign. I was under the impression that this ground had been covered in Ravenloft, but ok, I’m game. Evil acts of lying, cheating, theft, murder, betrayal and vengeance are described. Ok so far, we are still on familiar ground. Evil god and demon worship, animating the undead, evil spells, still from Planescape, the Necromancer and Villain’s Handbooks cover these topics. Damning or Harming Souls, ok this IS new. Fetishes and addictions is also new (for a WotC product), cannibalism, necrophilia, masochism, sadism, bestiality and self-mutilation are very much new ground. Several Vile Gods are listed and several vile cultures also. A sidebar links these gods and cultures into the Greyhawk mythos through the agents of Vecna and clerics and cultists of Nerull and Erythnul. Villain archetypes are delineated and a couple of examples follow. A couple of malign sites round out the chapter.

Chapter Two deals with variant rules. Demonic possession, of people and object, sacrifice, with modifiers for elements and a reward system, curses, and diseases are given in variant rules. Aspects of evil such as speaking and chanting to dark powers, using souls and pain to gain power, evil weather and vile damage are given stats. The effects of evil in increasing detriment rounds off the section.

The third chapter goes into the tools of the evil trade. A most thorough list of devices of torture and execution, traps, alchemical and quasi-magical items, drugs, poison and spell components is very, very well detailed.

Feats are the focus of the fourth chapter, it is one of the shorter sections of the book, but does give some intriguing new feats.

In Chapter Five, Prestige Classes take center stage. The Cancer Mage is truly unique. The Demonolgist and Diabolist have appeared numerous times before in other products, most recently in Green Ronin’s ‘Hell’ series. The Disciples of the Princes of Hell and Thralls of the Demon Lords make for some interesting villains. The Lifedrinker, a vampire wannabe, the Mortal Hunter, and Soul Eater are among the rest of the classes, there are several more, filling in several niches of darkness.

Chapter Six covers magic, spells and items. Most of these spells and items have been viewed before, either in Planescape or similar products, not to say that some of them aren’t new or unique, there are many new and good ones, but we are still not in unfamiliar categories.

Chapters Seven and Eight cover the denizens of evil. Seven covers the Demon Lords and Princes of Hell. Asmodeus, Demogorgon, Graz’zt, Mammon, Mephistopheles and most of all Orcus!!! Evil forces, such as demons, devils and an Alien-like (like the Movie) critter called the Kython are among the monsters of Chapter Eight.

Given Mr. Hickman’s verve against this product, I expected much, much worse. Given the hype, the Book of Mild Darkness could be applied. There was a lot more suggestive art and nudity than seen in a Wizard’s product and the subject matter might raise the hackles of the bible thumpers. But I did find this to be a more useful addition to my core rule library than the Monster Manual II. Well done Monte and crew.

To see the graded evaluation of this product, go to The Critic's Corner at www.d20zines.com.

GameWyrd

Explorer
It’s not vile but it’s not especially good either. The Book of Vile Darkness was doomed to crumble under the weight of the hype. It wasn’t just Wizard’s marketing to blame (in fact, they’re not only allowed to market/hype their products but I encourage them to do so) but also sealed-sections-in-magazine hype, mouth-watering-fan-boy-on-webpage hype and heated-debate-in-forum hype too. I do think Wizards were wrong to launch their new adult line with this book though; they’ll catch themselves in a corner by setting the limit with the initial experiment.

"Vile Darkness" – the title gets my goat. It’s either an oxymoron or redundant, depending on your definition of darkness and that’s an impressive trick. I suppose many Dungeons & Dragons players have never had the "darkness" debate but if you’ve gone through your pretentious White Wolf phase (I know I have) then you probably have. Gore doesn’t equate to dark. A werewolf ripping your head off with its big claws isn’t dark, that’s just goring, that’s just vile. The werewolf’s battle against a three-headed giant slug isn’t dark either. It’s the fact that no matter how hard the werewolf fights that the war is already lost that’s dark. Seven is a dark film; Rambo isn’t – not even when he’s being tortured.

Of course, I shouldn’t judge the book by it the cover, the title or anything as superficial as that. Which is a bit of a shame for the Book of Vile Darkness; if I was to rate it based on the illustrations, the cool scary tome look, the black borders and layout then it would get a very high score. It’s a nice book to have lying out on the table when friends come to visit – anyone flicking quickly through it will be more impressed than anyone sitting down to read it.

The book makes a start by trying to define evil. This is a valid attempt by Monte Cooke. He was never going to succeed – too much of this philosophy is out of place for a roleplaying book, too little would be a token effort, there’s little chance of finding a middle ground and no chance at all in a Dungeons & Dragons setting where the nature of evil has been boiled down to something (almost) elemental. I’m glad this section is here though since it gives merit to the half of the book that doesn’t really work. It’s here that we go over some acts that might be evil – and in a game where the response from more people is to kill first, ask questions later and after looting the body – this is rather funny. Well, it’s funny if you enjoy a laugh at the "rollplayers" expense. The fetishes and addictions section here is disappointing but probably needed in their brief form just for completeness. For a book of its nature Vile Darkness has way too much of "I knew that" and "I already thought of that". The Vile Gods are interesting but underplayed, they didn’t need to put especially into this book, and any other supplement would have done. The same goes for the vile races, interesting and a little silly in the case of the Jerren. Unfortunately all the following examples are not so interesting and are quickly skipped through.

Chapter two offers up one of the positive contributions form the Book of Vile Darkness. Monte Cook gives us his 3rd ed guru rules on possession. The rules on curses are nearly as good but perhaps something that didn’t need hard and fast rules for in the first place. Diseases are good too, not especially suited to the Book of Vile Darkness except that there’s an excuse to write particularly gruesome disease effects – but plenty of real diseases are just as horrid.

In a small "Other Aspects of Evil" section in chapter two you’ll come across some nice ideas. Ideas that work very well – except in a the typical cheese fantasy that D&D games become. Dark Speech is the secret language of the evil goods – it’s so dire that even demons refrain from using it. That’s the theory, except any mortal with the right feats and knowledge will happily blurt out a quote or two from this "secret" language. At high level games your heroes might go toe-to-toe against powerful demons or even avatars, crushing them beneath +5 war hammers and burning demonic flesh away with divine fire channelled straight a powerful deity through their own fingertips but suddenly encounter extra difficulties if their enemies decide to say "I like candy" in Dark Speech. I like Dark Speech though; it’ll make a great addition as the language of the others in Cthulhu games or even the language of demons in barbwire gritty fantasy games. The idea of vile damage is less convincing.

Evil equipment isn’t inherently evil – it’s just stuff used for horrid things like torture and, oh wait, for killing people. I suspect much of the Player’s Handbook and the DM’s Guide is filled with vile equipment too. The rules for drugs are in here.

Vile Feats wrestle with credibility but come out fairly well. It’s easy to me to argue that Cleave’s a vile feat; it is all about killing or maiming someone. A vile feat is inherently evil – like the Disciple of Darkness where the character is formally supplicant to an archdevil – it’s a magical or perhaps better understood as spiritual vileness. Other feats, like Willing Deformity, are trickier. Are tattoos vile? Is circumcision vile? Is the tribal ritual of scarring that still goes on in some parts of Africa vile? Rather than start a debate here I’ll rush to say that the Willing Deformity feat includes the caveat that in this case the self-mutilation is carried out along with supplication to evil powers and again we can invoke the spiritual corruption get out clause.

There are prestige classes. There was bound to be prestige classes. This chapter sees the official Wizards of the Coast Demonologist and it is as good as the half-dozen demonlogist classes already in the market but there’s also the Diabolist and Cancer Mage too. The Cancer Mage, like the vile feats, is cause for debate. The class is a magical one all about rot and disease but I just can’t help the feeling that the title "Cancer" was thrown in there just because this is the Book of Vile Darkness. It could easily have been called Disease Mage, Diseasologist, Rotting Warlock, etc. There are a whole bunch of "Disciples" next and this are much more in line with traditional D&D offerings. These are classes that are powered-up through their association to named demons (which may or may not be OGL as WotC see fit). You’ve got the Disciples of Asmodeus, Baalzebul, Dispater, Mammon and Mephistopheles. The Lifedrinker will be the least used prestige class ever, available only to ancient vampires. The Mortal Hunter does what it says on the tin – and hunts mortals (like you need a special class for this?) and the Soul Eater eats souls. The Thrall set of classes do the same as the Disciples but for the other end of the evil spectrum. You’ve got the Thralls of Demogorgon, Graz’zi, Juiblex and Orcus. The Ur-Priests seem able to take divine magic from gods whether or not the gods want them to and for that idea alone deserve to be consigned to the trash. The Vermin Lord carries on with the idea that all things vermin are inherently evil… but manages to pull a safe out from the basket by being sure to tie the class in with an intelligent evil creature (providing it looks relatively vermin like). Finally, the Warrior of Darkness is good at killing things. The highlights of this chapter are that these prestige classes are all fully detailed through 10 levels and therefore can be safely played at the Epic level. The classes here are great templates for campaign villains. In some ways they are a good start for a fantasy version of Darth Vader. Another comment in the prestige chapter that I leapt on was the comment from Cook that the Thrall and Disciple classes weren’t very prestigious and might be better thought of as something else. Thank goodness! I was beginning to wonder if I was imaging that whole point. I shall continue to point out that "Foot solider", "Gnome with sword" and "Failed wizard’s apprentice" are not suitable prestige class concepts.

There are plenty of evil spells in the book. That’s important. I think with this fact alone it’s worthwhile keeping the Book of Vile Darkness a secret from your players so you can present the dangerous and mysterious side of these powers. The short debate on what is evil at the start of the chapter is another brave attempt. I just don’t buy the ethical approach. If you’re melting people’s faces off with acid arrows or burning them alive with explosive fireballs then you’re a sick puppy. Just because the spell is renamed Dark Bolt or Charnel Fire doesn’t make it any more evil. What I do buy is that some spells can come from an evil and corrupt supply of magic or perhaps they were made available by evil gods in the first place. This, though, comes back to the idea that in Dungeons & Dragons (not necessarily evil game that rolls a d20, but in D&D) that evil is something elemental or an active career choice rather than a label for something unethical or horrid. This chapter plays to stereotypical D&D in other ways too. The "Addiction" spell grants the mage the ability to instantly addict someone to a drug of choice. It’s a level 2 spell (level 1 for Assassin) and that’s completely broken. It’s such a low level spell because a drug addition doesn’t do much in game terms just before, during or after a melee. The level of addiction is stacked so that it is more serious as the caster level increases. Nevertheless in a game where razor edge politics, carefully worded diplomacy and needle fine balances of power are the mainstay it is awful to think that some apprentice dressed as a Court servant could blight a powerful noble with an addiction. It’s enough to make GMs and players of the genre wince, it’s as if high fantasy is so determined to rule supreme that it’ll come and invade your game if given even half a chance.

Magic items and artefacts can be evil in the same way that spells are evil. Ignore the ethical use of the item; a dagger is just as evil as a three-bladed-spider-shaped-knife. On the other hand, if one of those two where forged in the blood of children by the archduke Buffy then it’s easy to see that it’s a spiritually corrupt item.

One of the longest chapters in the book is "Lords of Evil". This is a fairly detailed examination of the movers and shakers in the ranks of demons and devils. It explains what makes a demon or a devil according to what side they’re on and what the outsiders in the middle are known as. It’s a nice little geo-political rundown of the Blood War and very helpful if you’re not a second edition fan and are reading some of this for the first time. What’s good is the summary of the tactics and strategies used by some of the power-houses here What’s not so good are the stats for Challenge Rating 30 arch-fiends. You need these stats so your players can kill them? Okay. Well. Be that on your own head. On the other hand I know fine well that there’s a demand for this sort of crunch. The stats for their favourite minions and lieutenants take up a fair whack of this chapter but are perhaps more likely to be used.

The stats for monsters right at the back of the book are even more likely to get used. Again these creatures are more horrific and explicitly detailed than typical monster manual creatures but rarely more ‘dark’.

I’m not sure how the designers imagined the Book of Vile Darkness being used. If it’s supposed to make your D&D game more mature then I don’t think it’s done very well. I think the maturity warning is more appropriate in that if the book is used immaturely then it’ll overshadow and wreck your game. The Book of Vile Darkness doesn’t really offer up anything more on the nature of evil. It could have. It could be that certain acts or intentions are more likely to attract the interest of these naturally evil powers. We still have Paladins striding around and smiting anything their "Detect Evil" (which they trust implicitly and without question) says is evil while retaining their own aura of goodliness.

The Book of Darkness isn’t a waste though. It does have a whole load of prestige classes that are put together very well indeed. They’ll suit high fantasy games nicely and are there for the master villain (and some of the classes are more manipulation and skill based than just crush-destroy) for grittier games. There are enough new feats too add something unexpected to your villains as well but best of all are the pages and pages of magic spells. If you keep the book a secret then it provides you, as DM, a way to keep your players on their toes since they’ll never know what to expect but can be sure that their enemy’s powers are at the very least extremely unpleasant. The structure of the Nine Hells is nicely explained too.

Finally, by ignoring some of the possible observations and discussions on fantasy evil that were missed and treating the book as a RPG supplement filled with unsavoury powers and demons – which is perhaps the most fair way to judge it – I find it easy enough to give it an average rating.

* This GameWyrd review was first published here.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Evil. The word has been applied to D&D as a whole--it's a touchy subject. Everyone who plays the game knows that the heroes, whose role is taken up, must face wickedness as a matter of vocation. There have been other sources in the d20 industry that tried to address this issue for the DM and player alike. Wizards of the Coast (WotC) makes a strange turn, according to its usual PG-13 policies, and tried putting "authentic" evil in D&D, with no less aid than the mighty pen of Monte Cook. Enter the Book of Vile Darkness.

WotC hyped the book as both a daring foray into the iniquitous and an experiment. It was to boldly look at depraved and sinister subjects without becoming prurient or juvenile. Of course, they said, such a book must be for mature audiences only--a sticker on the front of the book will warn away the unwary and inform parents. (They should have shrink-wrapped each book and put the sticker on the wrap. These stickers are annoying and they mar the cover of the book because they are so hard to remove.) With this book, a DM was to have rules for followers of darkness, against which the light of the heroes would shine more brightly. Did it succeed?

Book of Vile Darkness starts out by giving the reader the flavor of evil. It sticks to the central theme in D&D that evil and good are absolutes, while acknowledging the idea of relative evil. Relative, evil in this case means, culturally and individually formed ideas of evil in which it's hard to apply spells like detect evil. Though it leaves out other possibilities, these two extremes bring out the ideas of other possibilities just in their revelation--something Monte is very good at.

The definition of evil is still unclear, however, by the time one reads through many pages on defining evil, evil acts, and addictions. The ultimate meaning is left under the purview of the DM, his or her campaign needs, and (or) the simple D&D alignment system. This is how it should be, however, and the Book of Vile Darkness simply gives some context to evil and brings to mind how evil beings act. Even though "Fetishes and Addictions" might not present all inherently "evil" practices or materials, it certainly points toward corruption.

Corruption continues and excellent material follows with examples of maltheistic entities, depraved or debased races, villain archetypes, and examples of vile sites as potential adventure areas. Cannibalistic halflings who allied with evil to save themselves in a war are fun (even though they also already appeared in Dragon), as are a race of humans so depraved they have no concept of goodness. The homeland of a tribe of goblins who willingly mutate themselves to ensure victory in coming battles is also high-quality stuff. What's even better is that all of this prose serves up examples one can use as a model for one's own vile villains.

Less stellar are the sample villains themselves. These few examples are interesting, but seem to follow a disturbing trend in D&D that makes all bad guys into madmen and/or power mongers. What is the aim of the mysterious Dread Emperor, who is a great spellcaster with a 50% arcane spell failure chance due to his armor, and seemingly rules nothing, save the few slave children he leads about? What does a half-orc master of vermin see in a disease-ridden medusa, so that he would want to be petrified by her gaze? What did a glabrezu do to beat an ancient blue dragon's +23 Will save and possess it, since the DC for resisting that demon's possession would only be 18 (or 20 since the dragon is evil)? What's become of subtlety?

Even where Book of Vile Darkness could be subtle, it isn't. Possession is an exciting idea for the game, and it's here. Unfortunately, the act of possession, though well defined, doesn't come close to the better stories in fiction and myth. The major problem here is not the mechanics, but the fact that a possessing fiend cannot hide its presence from the possessed if it actually wants to accomplish anything via the possession. While it's great to have rules for possession, these rules actually restrict part of the fun. A possessing fiend can ride a possessed being past spells that would normally block evil creatures, but the rules don't allow for a demon to, say, take over the victim's actions without the victim knowing it. What about the demon just giving little mental nudges towards corrupt acts (without revealing its presence)? Anyone who has read Terry Brooks's Running with the Demon knows what I'm talking about.

Many variant rules are a bit better, but not a lot. There's a secret language of evil (ala Morbeth from Lord of the Rings), but it seems queer that not even fiends use it much, because it's so evil. It induces fear in the goodly and evil alike, unless the particular individuals are of high enough level to avoid the effects, and it can charm mid-level evil beings. Rules for souls as power are weak (one soul provides 10 XP for item creation), especially when compared to pain as power (3 XP for a dose of liquid pain, which costs 200 gp). Most of the diseases seem like the same idea recycled (especially one that is basically just the Slaad mutation chart from the Monster Manual), though a few are out of the ordinary. Evil weather is more biblical "Old Testament" than actually evil, but it's one of the better examples of vileness.

The other good variant rules include expanded curses. Along with a new spell that bestows a curse that can't just be undone via remove curse, there are examples of alternative curses for bestow curse as well. Better still are suggestions for the family curses and infamous dying curse, although these rules needn't be limited to evil creatures as Book of Vile Darkness suggests. (Ravenloft included rules for these long ago in the d20 world.) Wicked fun can be had with a "hivemind", as hordes of small creatures acquire intellect and even spell ability, and the lingering effects of evil are great for setting scenes and adjudicating detect evil. Vile damage, a type that can only be healed in a holy area, is particularly good for scaring the wits out of characters (and players).

The villains created with the prestige classes presented in this book will do the same. While the name is off, the Cancer Mage is one of the vilest things in this book. Masters of the class have the ability to literally become a disease, lying dormant over the ages awaiting new victims. The plot potential is great there. Other classes are scary, if less stirring. Villains can truck with fiends in the majority of these vocations (perhaps too many, 11 out of 18), as thralls of a particular fiendish lord or a summoner that enslaves lesser evils--all specific enough to be a tasty addition to a campaign. Heroes will have at least grudging respect for the forces of evil if any of these are faced and used correctly. Particularly brilliant is the vampiric Lifedrinker (a version of which appeared in Dragon 288), which uses life energy to fuel magic and feats of might (not unlike Vampire: the Masquerade).

With the wheat comes the chaff, however, and the Ur-Priest stood out as metaphysically non-viable. Can a character "steal" energy from the gods? Perhaps. The Warrior of Darkness, is another lacking class, in which a weird mixture of alchemy, ritual scarring, and evil makes a fighter a physical powerhouse. It's not that the execution is unbalanced, it's that the class only comes across as evil because the description says it's evil. None of the powers are particularly vile. Neither is the Vermin Lord particularly vile, unless one considers association with creepy-crawlies an evil act unto itself. It is distasteful perhaps (or fascinating if you're an entomologist), but not necessarily evil. Both of the last mentioned classes could easily be re-described on some cultural (or other) level and find a home in the progression of good or neutral characters.

Some of the feats fall into that category as well, but some are obviously intentionally this way. Feats like Boost Spell-Like Ability or Quicken Spell-Like Ability (sure to be included in the upcoming 3.5e revision) are clearly applicable to all sorts of creatures, not just evil ones. Others, like Willing Deformity and the deformity feats that require it, are just plain weird and beg the question, what if someone is deformed in this way unwillingly? Do the same bonuses apply? Does the affected character need a feat to get the bonuses? These "feats" would have been better as mere descriptive possibilities, if they were carefully balanced to provide as many drawbacks as benefits (which most do anyway). Some of the feats, like Vile Ki Strike and Malign Spell Focus (+2 to the DC of Evil spells) are quite useful and inspire many ideas.

The spells in Book of Vile Darkness are the same kind of mixed bag, leaning toward the valuable end of the spectrum, and there are a lot of spells in here. They range from disgusting and terrifying to kind of silly and tame to weird--yet most will provide some sick fun for a DM as a particularly demented baddie whips out a spell never heretofore seen by hapless heroes. The section on spells starts with a bit of moral reasoning as to why some spells (used to kill and harm other creatures) are evil, while others (used to kill and harm other creatures) are not. More usefully, we're treated to a new spell parameter (Corrupt) and the idea that some spells are limited in who can use them.

What's strange about some of the spell parameters is not why they exist (good ideas all, for the most part), but why they're applied to certain spells and not others. Corrupt, an indicator of magic so foul it rips away ability points when cast (ala Call of Cthulhu d20), is the most unevenly applied descriptor. Devil's tongue is a spell that allows a creature to transmute its tongue into a 15 ft. reach appendage capable of grappling and disarming. That it's Evil is questionable, despite the name. That it's Corrupt, doing significant Wisdom damage, is absurd. The only reason I can speculate the design leans this way is that the spell is only 2nd-level, which may be too low. Meanwhile, a spell that calls a small horde of minor fiends to the material plane to serve the caster for one year and requires a soul for casting is not Corrupt at all. Neither is another spell that renders land permanently barren, damages structures, and can only be undone with a wish spell.

Equally bizarre and uneven is how the use limitations are applied in other spells. Such magics would make wonderfully hideous additions to depraved scoundrels of all sorts, but the rules of the spell prevent this, as in boneblast, which can break a victim's bone with a touch. Sorry, it's limited to undead casters. Why? It would seem to make sense that such a limitation would only apply if the creature casting the spell were affecting some aspect of its own nature. This basic logic isn't followed for the most part. Of course, a DM is free to remove such boundaries, but must pay close attention to how those limits may have been used as balancing factors (where they shouldn't have been, or should have been only as an option).

With the idea of balance comes a major weakness in the Book of Vile Darkness. In literature, myth, and media, evil is depicted as the easy path to power for the weak-minded, power-hungry, and the mad. Darkness grants great power to those willing to pay the price. To some villains, eternal torment or servitude to a maltheistic entity after death is worth it due to the might gained in the material world, but the vast majority of abilities and rules in Book of Vile Darkness don't grant any more power than some good counterpart might. While some may call this fairness or game balance, to me it's lack of consideration for the ultimate attraction and price of evil.

Star Wars d20 touched on the temptation of evil, along with the rewards of using it, with the Dark Side of the Force. The power of the Dark Side was "front loaded" with more power. As one traveled down the path of darkness, the returns were less and less favorable, but it was harder and harder to turn back. Concepts like temptation and redemption are not to be found here (but one notes they are in Monte's Book of Hallowed Might). More importantly, evil doesn't have that much power.

Take sacrifices, a staple for scenes from Conan books and other fantasy literature. Book of Vile Darkness's sacrifices are bloody affairs where the performer of the sacrifice has to make a Knowledge (religion) check to garner any benefit. The profit from a sacrifice is actually very little, but the real clincher in the rules is "most deities give only one reward per day, per temple no matter how many victims are slain". Couldn't the system, which uses the HD of a victim as an important factor, have just as easily allowed the HD of multiple victims to stack for a bonus to the sacrifice check?

One wonders why an evil person would bother with a sacrifice with these parameters, other than those that might be required by an evil deity, given that the rewards are not only hard to acquire (DC 25-50 for the most significant), but also limited. The only ones that can last longer than 24 hours are limited wish, wish (restricted to once in a lifetime), and dark craft rewards. A dark craft award grants leader of a ritual a sort of virtual form of experience or gold pieces with which to craft a magic item from the sacrifice. These points are very few, and no matter how many are used (even 1 point) the item is evil--beyond the level, one notes, created by the sacrifice of one being (as defined in Book of Vile Darkness), even if that's all that was used. Not only is the system ultimately lacking in what is there, it misses opportunities like ritual magic, the use of sacrifice as a form of spell energy, or even a significant relationship to the spells in the book.

Equally weak are the spell components for evil, especially when such items are used at the caster's option to increase power. Use the dried heart of a 15 HD+ metallic dragon and you get +1 to the save DC of the spell cast...30% of the time. Of course, according to the relevant equipment chart you can buy that heart for 7 gp. Yes, that's right, a 15 HD+ dragon heart garners a 30% chance to gain +1 to the save DC of the spell, and one's on sale in the local bazaar for 7 gp. The heart merchant will sell you a demon heart for 18 gp, a devil's for 20, and those of any humanoid for 1 sp. That latter heart has a 25% chance to give +2 effective caster levels for the spell in which it's used.

Yet the other equipment seems to have a place in the book, even if none of it is inherently evil. Torture devices, we got 'em, and drugs too, along with fiendish traps, evil alchemy, and execution equipment. Some new poisons are delineated for our games, along with more detailed rules for their manufacture. All of this stuff is pretty good, though some of the rules are odd or out of place. For example, unlike what I've heard about real (expert) torture, which aims at maximizing pain while minimizing "real" damage, the rules for torture merely give Intimidate check bonuses with random damage from the devices. One would suppose that an execution is merely a coup de grace against a helpless opponent (with damage given for things like hanging or environmental exposure and pressure on organs by crucifixion), but no, it's a skill check--and one that's allowed against pinned opponents in certain circumstances. The first part is bizarre, but this last thing is something that should have been left on the editing room floor, because it sets a terrible precedent in the game, making coup de grace attacks too easy to set up.

Poisons are more successful, in that we now have more of them, but the rules for manufacture follow closely the D&D fear of these potent factors. In other words, poisons are so dangerous in the game they are controlled with heavy-handed and unrealistic rules. (Don't believe me? Look at the damage from cyanide in d20 Modern, then look up its real effects.) The manufacturing systems are thusly designed, stating (quite falsely) that raw poison from an animal is not as potent as some "refined" version and that poison harvested is usually volatile and easy to ruin. Some poisons do indeed have to be refined from some source or another, but (as an example) snake poison is often dried (into powder) and stored for future use in antivenins--so where's the fragility? Despite these rules, it is possible in the real world to simply remove a rattlesnake's poison and use it immediately to great effect (especially since it'll probably be more than one "dose").

The drug rules are better, actually quite realistically replicating the effect of drug use and abuse. Drugs produce initial effects, usually beneficial to the user or at least pleasurable. Yet, prolonged use does ability damage and results in addiction and withdrawal (also doing ability damage). The rules also take a more realistic tack towards the legality of drugs--as with poison, in most ancient societies, besides those with religious aversions, such substances were legal and largely uncontrolled. Unlike the drugs in Book of Vile Darkness, though, they were also cheap (where they could be purchased).

Magic equipment in the book are like the spells, ranging from grisly to odd, but satisfying for storytelling possibilities. New powers, specific items, and variety of new wondrous vileness will leave your players fearing what's in the villain's trove (or what she's gots in her pocketses). Why some things are considered artifacts, though, is a mystery. Angel tears, demon blood, and Vasharan crossbows (created by that evil human race I mentioned earlier) fall into this category, with no explanation how one might replicate them (other than mentioning that ever elusive "special ritual".) Still, many of these items have real (nasty) flavor, including a short bit about demonic machines (two of them great, one goofy).

On the subject of demons, you need to know that I'm not a big fan of the core D&D cosmology (The Great Wheel)--it's just too much of a shallow hodge-podge and has too many internal metaphysical/mythological inconsistencies to be particularly rousing (for my taste). Yet, in spite of the fact that I expected to find the archfiends useless, their statistics and suggestions for use proved me wrong. Regardless of the particular tack of a campaign, such creatures provide a possible target for epic-level, campaign-altering play, and they were designed with this in mind. While some may argue that such lords of evil should have some divine status, suggestions also appear for doing just that. How these creatures fit into the official D&D milieu is clarified, but variants are also given. Thus, for finicky DMs like me, the section on the archfiends is not a loss at all. Take this with the fact that Monte Cook gives some basic insight into the cult of each evil master (coupled with prestige classes in the front of the book) and you have at least one good basis for an entire story arc (if not campaign) pitting heroes against ultimate evil they can actually defeat.

The extra creatures that round out Book of Vile Darkness will help you design that campaign, but you'll still need your handy Monster Manual (and probably Green Ronin's Legions of Hell and the Fiend Folio to keep it interesting). CRs here vary from very low to nearly epic, but most will run out of challenge in midlevels. The templates are very good, and will allow a variety of wickedness, even though there are only three.

So, Book of Vile Darkness is a mixed bag. For the most part, it contains very little in the way of a gaming philosophy that changes anything, despite overreactions from more conservative, well-known Dragonlance authors. Creative DMs probably thought of most of the fluff possibilities presented in this book long ago. While acknowledging the value of an analysis of evil in the game for some gamers, what is most useful about the book is at least a portion of the crunch, giving useful numbers and game effects to those ideas. You'll find the prestige classes, feats, drug rules, and some other tidbits a nice base, whether you use them as is or not, and the spells and monsters are great (just watch out for some of the weirdness in the spell parameters). Other systems, of course, fail to provide a good foundation for a subject in the game, but may at least get you thinking on how you want to handle certain things. The work here isn't so much vile as it is a study in possibility--and every time new frontiers are breached, there'll be some good and bad. Book of Vile Darkness is proof.

(B-, or 3.5)

This review was originally written for Gaming Frontiers on 05/12/03.

Review of Book of Vile Darkness

The Book of Vile Darkness is Wizards book on everything evil. It comes with a Mature Audiences Only warning. I found only some of the topics had gone overboard. Most of the book deals with them in a very mature and well-handled manner. There are many themes in her like bestiality and sacrificing that are clearly not meant for the younger fans of our hobby.

The artwork is up to Wizards usually high standard. Some of the scenes are a little graphic showing blood and guts and a little nudity, but for the most part it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. The book is well organized and there is a table of contents as well as an index to make finding things very easy. This is a book made for the DM and is suggested that players not read it. I concur as many of the items in here lose a little luster if the players are already familiar with them.

Chapter one is the Nature of Evil. Within this chapter it covers the many different types of evil and gives different suggestions for using them. It goes into how Evil is in the standard D&D game, as well as giving an optional take on evil. Throughout the chapter is goes in depth on what makes a person evil and how evil is defined. There are many different ways a person can be evil and this chapters seems to cover them all. Many of the ideas are very easy to transport to new or old NPCs to give them a more evil feel. It also goes into different types of fetishes and addictions that may be some of the traits of evil beings. There are some game mechanics attached to the different addictions, making them easy to use. The Chapter then goes into some Vile Gods. These are new gods given small write-ups. There are some god ideas here, but if any are to be used the DM will need to fill out a lot of missing details. Next, it goes into two new races that are designed to be evil. One is basically a human the other is basically a Halfling. I feel that the races are two close to these races, but that may have been the idea to make evil look like what we already know. Either way, I felt the races could have been better. It then goes into some common evil archetypes and each has an example given. The ideas are good and should help a DM build a truly evil NPC. There are some fully fleshed out villains. The first is the Dread Emperor, next is a pair of villains: a Medusa and a Half Orc. Finally, they have a demonically possessed Blue Dragon. All of these are well defined and should be easy to use. Lastly, the chapter describes two evil sites. One is the place where a truly large mass murder was taken place, the other is a alchemically pool that goblins use to change themselves into something not quite right. Both are well described and should be easy to drop into any campaign setting.

Chapter two is Variant Rules and like one would expect it is filled with optional additions to the game to make evil a little more unpredictable. The first new item is possession. This is a great way for villains to use other people’s bodies and truly confuse ones players. There are many options with possessions like the possessor just watching or actually taken control of the person. Or an object can be possessed. It can be enhanced or hindered depending on what the possessing entity wants to do. Next, the chapter has some very simple and easy to use sacrifice rules. This is attached directly with the knowledge religion skill, and I would really like to see a version of this for good and neutral clerics. Curses are covered in great detail after the Sacrifice section. There are many new types of curses as well as more powerful version like the Dying Curse, a curse an evil creature utters as it expires. This section also deals with family curses and curses of misery. I think the section on curses in the strongest section in the chapter and has great ability to confuse and hinder a party of player characters. Next, there are many new diseases. They are mostly what is expected, new types of magical disease that hinders ability scores. There are two diseases that are a little different. However, since diseases are pretty easy to cure and there are more then a few classes that gives total immunity to them, I would have liked to see some that are harder then normal to cure and that can even effect people immune. Lastly, the chapter covers many ideas in less detail. The best of these is Dark Speech, an evil language that affects people that hear its utterings. There are also ways to use pain as power, the ability to use souls, lingering effects of evil, and evil weather. There are lots of great things in this chapter.

Chapter Three is Evil Equipment. It is filled with everything an Evil Overlord needs to one up those pesky, good player characters. First is covers Torture Devices and ways to extract information out of those devious good guys. It covers a good range of the usually torture devices like the Iron Maiden and Rack. Next it covers execution equipment and rules for determining if the execution is successful. Then the books talks about trapping ones own equipment and it gives some good examples of these. The chapter also covers some new alchemical items, drugs and addiction, poisons, and different material components for spells. The detail is very good, but it seems more of the same old stuff as there are only so many ways to write up these things.

Chapter Four is called Feats. It introduces a new type of feat, the vile feat. These are feats that are usually granted by greater evil beings to their servants. Most of the feats are rather bland. They take a few meta magic feats, and now have them apply to spell like abilities. There are a few interesting ones like Lichloved that makes it so mindless undead see the person as an undead creature.

Chapter Five is of course Prestige Classes. It does not disappoint having eighteen of them. All of them are of course designed for evil characters. Some are a little on the powerful side giving full attack bonuses, best saves for all three saving throws, d10 HD and new powers every level. However, for the most part they seem pretty well done. The Lifedrinker is a prestige class designed for a vampire. It does a good job of taking the abilities of a vampire and expanding on them. The Mortal Hunter is a class for fiends that kill mortals. The most interesting though, is the Ur-Priest. This is a person who despises the gods, and is able to steal a little of the power the gods give their followers, so the Ur-Priest is able to cast spells.

Chapter Six is Magic. It starts with a whole bunch of new spells, most with the evil descriptor. There are also spells called corrupt spells that require ability damage for them to be cast. Others can only be cast by demons, devils, people effected by a disease or a poison, or other certain criteria for casting these spells. There are new spells for the Assassin, Bard, Blackguard, Cleric (including seven domains), Druid, and Sorcerer/ Wizard. Many of the spells are very interesting and should be able to catch the players off guard. Some of these spells are truly disgusting like Abyssal strength that one needs to consume a piece of another’s flesh to gain strength and constitution bonuses. This is a corrupt spell, so the caster will take 2d6 wisdom damage. There are other less nauseating spells like Demon Wings, which temporarily allows the caster to grow wings and fly. There are some spells which even good characters may want to use like Drug resistance that allows the subject to be immune to the addiction effect of drugs. Then there are some truly cool spells like Were-Doom that will cause people to temporarily become a random type of lycanthrope and start attacking people around them. Then the chapter deals with some truly evil magical weapons and enhancements. The Grim Defender is a +1 Breastplate that allows the wearing to transfer damage from himself to another within one hundred feat. There is the Harrowheart, a rapier that does x3 critical damage against a good aligned person instead of x2. Then there is the slime pot that will create green slime when the owner places decaying organic matter in it. The magical items are very well done and interesting. The abilities are varied and just plain cool. Lastly, we have new minor and major artifacts. These are from the nightmares of paladins and good people. There are things like Demon Blood that turn a large area unhallowed and make it so nothing natural can ever grow there again. There are Diabolic Engines and Demonic Devices. These are machines crafted in the lower planes and they are used by the demons and devils there. One is the Cauldron of Zombie Spewing. It is a great cauldron filled with strange chemicals. Place 50 corpses into it, shake well, allow it to set for 24 hours, and out comes zombies. Send the zombies lose to kill more people, gather the bodies and repeat the process. Finally we get to the Major Artifacts. Items that only the greatest of demons and devils weld, although a few are probably lost on the prime material waiting for some poor soul to find it. Included in here is the famous Regalia of Evil. Three major artifacts in their own right (a crown, a scepter, and an orb) but get two or all three of them together and their power increases.

Now we get to one of the most anticipated Chapters in D&D history, Chapter Seven: Lords of Evil. This is the chapter that stats out all those arch devils and demon lords that have been causing havoc in the prime material since time began. The chapter starts with a brief description of the lower planes, as it exists in the standard cosmology. There is a small sidebar that deals with evil plane variants. Not only are the lords themselves stated, but also some of those lords prized minions as well. All of the Arch Devils and Demon Lords are true powers to behold. I would have liked to see a sidebar or two saying how to incorporate the Epic Level Handbook with these guys to allow them to challenge PCs of much higher levels. Even so, the description on them is well done and played properly they will be more then a match for any group players.

The Last Chapter is all about Evil Creatures. It describes new types of outsiders that are aligned with evil themselves. There are some old favorites like the Eye of Fear and Flame. There are creatures that will challenge almost any level of party and a nice variety along with it. There are three new templates as well. The Bone Creature is for something that looks like a skeleton, but retains its intelligence. The Corpse Creature is zombie like, but again is as smart as the original creature. Lastly, is the Corrupted Creature that represents something twisted by the power of evil.

It doesn’t end there though. There is an appendix about evil characters. This is great for any DM to read through as it gives great advice and warns of some of the danger for allowing evil alignments. It deals with the one evil PC in a non-evil group as well as a group of all evil characters. There is even some advice on the all-evil campaign. While not as dedicated to the subject as some books like Evil, it does a great job of setting DMs on the right path to accomplish what they need to do.

The Book of Vile Darkness was what I hoped it would be and not what I feared it would be. It covered the topics well and did not go overboard into graphic detail that where neither needed nor wanted. It presents everything in a well thought out manner. Once again we can place our trust in Monte Cook, the author of the Book of Vile Darkness, and he will not disappoint.

KDLadage

Explorer
First, I have had this book for a while, and have meant (for a long time) to write a review of it. I have kept putting it off. I cannot fully explain the reasons why I have failed to review it before now, except to say that the book never really excited me -- not in a "Wow! This rocks on toast! I need to review this!" sort of way, nor in a "Man, this thing stinks on ice! I need to review this!" sort of way. The Book of Vile Darkness, despite the warning label, the sealed DRAGON MAGAZINE section hyping it and the like... is really just sort of "blah." But... lets get down to brass tacks, and see what we have inside:

WHAT'S INSIDE

CHAPTER 1: THE NATURE OF EVIL: the book opens with a chapter dedicated to the definition of evil. This seems appropriate, after all, that if we are to speak of vile darkness and the evil that lurches in men's hearts, that we should first define what it is we are talking about. After a couple of pages on the definition and putting it into context, the book then looks at the various acts that are considered evil. This includes lying, cheating, theft, betrayal, murder, vengeance, worshiping evil gods (which seems a bit of a circular argument) and demons, animating the dead, casting evil spells (circular argument), damning or harming souls, consorting with fiends, creating evil creatures (circular argument), using others for personal gain, greed, bullying and cowing innocents, bringing despair, and tempting others. Then the books takes a strange, and awkward turn in a section entitled FETISHES AND ADDICTIONS. This section looks at the odd behaviors and tastes of those that delve too far into the darkness -- from cannibalism to self mutilation to bestiality. It is a very strange section, filled with childish immaturities. In fact, the paragraph on bestiality is so immature as to make one want to laugh.

We then are treated to a couple of pages of vile gods, followed by a couple on vile races. We then get to a section called CREATING VILLAINS which, despite the level of intellect that appears to have been responsible for the preceding pages, is fairly well written. It gives good tips and solid advice on how to create everything from the Psychopath tot eh misguided fool. It then goes into some worked examples of villains -- any of which would be well suited for your game, I am sure. The most frightening, in my mind, was Enesstrere, the Demon-possessed Dragon. Next, we are off to MALIGN SITES and the close of the chapter.

Conclusions: Chapter one is a mixed bag that, unfortunately, sets the tone for much of the rest of the book. There are some good points in here, but most of it is under a layer of cruft that consists of childish and immature thoughts on the nature of evil. But that is just my opinion...

CHAPTER 2: VARIANT RULES: When I first read the chapter title, I looked at it and thought: why do I need variant rules to deal with evil? After reading it, I am still not quite sure why I need them, but that's that. We have rules for possession, sacrifices, curses, and diseases. We then get to a section called OTHER ASPECTS OF EVIL. TO be honest, after reading this section, I felt it would have been better placed in the section on evil definitions. Still... we get some thoughts on pain as power, souls as power, and so on. Of all of the ideas presented, I found only one that truly seemed interesting... unfortunately, we get but three sentences on the topic: Vile Damage (damage that can only be healed in a holy place).

Then we move onto the LINGERING EFFECTS OF EVIL. This is your places and things that give you the willies on up to palaces that you know are so evil that they exude an almost tangible aspect of it. All in all, it is some interesting ideas, but none are really fleshed out.

Conclusions: A weak chapter with very little to offer by way of meat; some ideas, some thoughts, no real way of making them seem special.

CHAPTER 3: EVIL EQUIPMENT: In this chapter we get to look at torture devices, execution equipment, armor, traps, alchemical elixirs, drugs, poisons, and even evil material components. All of which is covered in such a short fashion as to make them seem unimportant. The whole chapter is only 9 pages, and most of that is charts and tables.

Conclusions: I know the what, now I want to know the reasons these are evil; after all, many of the things that are presented were used by various real world religions on those that were heretics or blasphemers -- what makes it evil, and not just plain maliciousness? Give me more... because what it here seems to fall flat.

CHAPTER 4: FEATS: Yes... it seems that every single book requires two things these days: new feats (not that I mind them), and prestige classes (we'll get to those later). This book is no different. Some of them are useful and seem like they could make for an interesting character concept (Dark Speech, Willing Deformity) while others seem, well, stupid. One of the deformities, for example, is Obese. I weigh in at about 350 pounds, and so this seems to strike me in a way it may not strike you. Lichloved, on the other hand, is just, well, disgusting. What the feat is, basically, granting someone a bonus for animated-necrophilia. Oh-kay... No context, no nothing. Just a feat that grants a bonus for having sex with the undead.

Conclusions: at least the chapter was short.

CHAPTER 5: PRESTIGE CLASSES: What did I tell you... ;) Over all, the classes are bland. Some seem like they had potential (the various Disciples and Thralls seemed like they could go someplace), but a Prestige class needs to be more than just a collection of kewl powerz. And most of these never get past that. The Cancer Mage is an idea with no real development, for example. The Lifedrinker is... not very interesting. The mortal hunter allows you to take an outsider and turn them into the PREDATOR from the movies (well, not really, but something close).

Conclusions: it was longer than the feats chapter...

CHAPTER 6: MAGIC: The next 34 pages cover evil spells; this is followed by 12 pages of evil magic items. These are mostly good, and could have made for a much better book if the whole things had been evil spells, magic items and artifacts. If you buy this book, make it for this chapter. Unfortunately, you will have to get the rest of the book, too.

Conclusions: well written, nicely balanced and fun to read.

CHAPTER 7: LORDS OF EVIL: This chapter takes us though the evil clerics, and the archfiends that they serve. It is a monster-manual of things like the Demogorgon, Juiblex (the Faceless One), Orcus, Yeenoghu (Demon Prince of Gnolls), as well as the Arch-Devils such as Bel, Dispater, Mammon, Belial, Levistus, The Hag Countess, Baalzebul, Mephistopheles, and (of course), Asmodeus.

Conclusions: This chapter is fair; but it seems that these are the true Lords of Hell -- they should be built using the rules from Deities and Demigods (or a variation on them) to indicate the sheer power they are supposed to wield. As it is, they are just Devils and Demons with a few perks...

CHAPTER 8: EVIL MONSTERS: And a regular bestiary of evil creatures to follow the Lords... not much here worth writing home about.

APPENDIX: EVIL PLAYER CHARACTERS: In a book that deals with evil, we finally reach a chapter (all of 3 pages) on how to deal with evil PCs... dreadfully lacking.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Should you get it? If you like and need some really good evil spells and magic items, then it is worth it; if you have Deities and Demigods, and would like to make the lords of evil shine, then the Lords section can be fleshed out further into something worthy of that title... otherwise, leave it be.

Remove ads