The Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali

The legacy of Kruk-Ma-Kali - a long-dead hobgoblin king - is still remembered throughout the lands of Tellene. Now, your players have the opportunity to search for Kruk-Ma-Kalis lost tomb and locate the riches (and dangers!) within. But beware... it will take more than just a strong sword-arm to solve and survive the many puzzles and riddles of the tomb! This D&D adventure for 8th to 14th-level players is located in the Elos Desert, in and around the city of Dijishy and the Elenon Mountains, and gives players the opportunity to adventure in city, dungeon and wilderness areas. This adventure module also includes new monsters, new magic, and a special edition of ImageQuest, illustrating each and every room within the tomb!

JoeGKushner

First Post
The Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali
Written by James Mishler and Don Morgan
Published by Kenzer & Company
112 b & w pages
$19.99

So you’re 8th-14th level characters are in search of some new excitement and the GM wishes to flesh out the Hobgoblin race even more in the Kalamar setting? Well look no further than the Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali.

The adventure is broken up into two sections, the first part, finding the tomb and the second part, exploring the tomb. The first part details out the valley where the tomb is to be found in addition to locations that the party can explore around the area to gain the necessary experience to survive the horrors of the tomb itself.

One of the most interesting devices utilized here is the Great Sanctuary of Knowledge, a haven for knowledge of all types that the characters can refer to long before the GM uses this module and long after the module has been run. The details provide the GM enough room to use the library as a plot assistance tool and prevent the characters from simply gaining any knowledge that they wish to have. I love the suggestions for doing this, ranging from partial success, so the party stumbles upon some of the information, to where the party does make the necessary skill rolls and makes all the right moves but the book itself isn’t there as the party isn’t the only group using the library at any one time. It allows the library to be used as a plot device, to help the players gain spells that they’ll need in the adventure, and for the GM to throw in a hook now and again. Phil’s book, 101 Spellbooks, would make an excellent companion piece to this section.

In addition to the library itself though, there are a couple other encounters that’ll challenge high-level parties. Sure, there are different tribes of hobgoblins and even a troll lair where a group of them thrive, but it is the master of these creatures, a red dragon, that’ll give party members pause. Even worse though is ‘the beast’, a powerful favorite that I’ve rarely seen placed into a campaign world so to see it here brought an evil smile to my face. It’s like the party in Rappan three where the party knows that they’re getting ready to battle a demon price and decide to do it anyway. Stupid characters will die. Plain and simple.

The encounters help the party to build up strength and provides them with the necessary background to further appreciate the Tomb itself. Many of the inhabitants within the valley claim to have lost someone to the terrors of the tomb and party members may actually approach the tomb with some fear in their heart when they finally make it there.

The tomb itself boasts many different types of traps and a rogue will be solely needed here to insure the party has a good chance of surviving. One of the things I enjoyed about the tomb is the many opportunities for the party to take a risk to gain power. By this, I mean they can engage in certain acts that are risky but if successful provide some inherent bonuses. Kind of like the old Deck of Many Things.
I was a little disappointed at the size of the Tomb itself though. While I can appreciate the numerous references and play on words the occur within the tomb, some of the material relating back to information that the party could’ve discovered in the Great Sanctuary, it’s short. A great and powerful leader like this with less than 20 rooms and only one level to the dungeon? I guess Necromancer Games has spoiled me a little.

The module does provide the GM with everything that he needs to run it and use bits and pieces of it for future games. For example, the red dragon within has a brother, an older, more powerful brother. There are ideas and options provided for those who skipped over fighting the dragon, as well as what happens to the adventurers should they bring forth the sword of Kruk-Ma-Kali. There are several nice surprises within as well, such as the fact that the hobgoblin king was actually a psion with some advanced powers, and how to use those psionic powers and abilities if your campaign doesn’t use those options within it.

In addition to the module, there are new spells, monsters, magic items and other goodies that a GM can throw into any campaign. Some of the material has seen use elsewhere though, because I recognize the cursed Vampiric Sword from The Villain Design Handbook and some of the other goodies look familiar as well. The good news though is the some of the magic items build on things already in the KoK books like the various Military Knowledge skills introduced in the KoK Player’s Handbook. Touches like this give the world a consistent feel and help the GM move things along without reworking the world, similar to using the Demon God’s Fane with the other Malhavok books.

The art is solid, utilizing the ImageQUEST illustrator. For what I think is the first time, none of the full page illustrations have two half pages on the back. This means that when you cut the smaller illustrations into two pieces, you don’t have to worry about the other side. The interior covers are used, the front one for the map of the valley, the back one for the map of the tomb itself. Text density is good, use of white space good. Standard two-column layout is used with important information boxed off. Maps are well done with good old squares. Because this is an official product, there is no OGC, but as a reader, the good news is that there is no OGL.

The appendices put all the tools in one place. Appendix A, NPCs and Monsters. Appendix B: New Monsters, including the Banshee, Bone Golem Warrior, Khielshor Death Knight (think original Fiend Folio edition Death Knight), Giant Goat, Mummy Lord, Salt Basilisk and Two-Headed Troll for monsters, and the Ghost Revenant and Shadeling, for new templates. Appendix C stats out all of the new magic items, including rules for Dragon Scale Maile, the Banner of Kruk-Ma-Kali, and other goodies. Appendix D details Kharad-Khor, the “Bloodthirster”, the sword of Kruk-Ma-Kali, a blade with its own secrets and agendas. Appendix E introduces several new spells like Continual Darkness, Eternal Darkness, and some symbol spells. One of my favorite appendices, F has numerous sample library books. Those looking for history information or details to help flesh out the game, will enjoy G, H, I, and J as they provided a timeline, information on Duishy, the City of History, and details on the gods, The Old Man and Blacksoul with J providing the Glossary. Appendix K provides the GM with the ever feared 1d10,000 roll, over three pages of encounters.

The Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali is a little short on the dungeon crawl but provides the GM the opportunity to test his players wits and their steel. How far will the players go to get the treasures of the old hobgoblin overlord and will they dare face the wrath of the beast? When you’re players talk about wanting to test their metal, it’s time to break out the Lost Tomb.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases