Little Keep on the Borderlands

Somewhere near the Borderlands, amidst the forests and tangled ferns, are chaotic caves where ravenous creatures lie in wait for unwary heroes.

This HackMaster module is not for the wuss of heart! Only members of that exceptional class, adventurers in search of fame and fortune, and willing to pass through many harrowing experiences together, should apply.

This HackMaster modules exciting underground and wilderness setting provides plenty of adventure for novice and seasoned players alike.

Little Keep on the Borderlands is the second adventure release for HackMaster and like the first; it parodies a basic D&D adventure. This time the target is Keep on the Borderlands, a module that many old-timers will remember from its inclusion in an edition of the Basic D&D boxed set. Little Keep is not simply a parody of the original adventure, however. It greatly expands on it and in fact has enough material to keep your players busy for weeks and maybe even months.

Little Keep is 144-page softbound book with color cover and black-and-white interior. The interior line art is well-executed. The many dungeon maps are simply drawn and easy to reference. The cover painting of an owlbear slaughtering an adventuring party is a nice spoof of the illustration on the first page of the original module.

Like the original module, Little Keep describes an isolated keep, which serves as the adventure base, and a nearby dungeon complex. Unlike the original module, Little Keep actually has a back story and information about the area of Garweeze Wurld in which it is located (NPCs even have actual names!). An appendix provides statistics and background information for the more than fifty NPCs that call the keep home. The amount of background information on the NPCs and potential adventure hooks is impressive. The keep prefect even has ties to the first HackMaster adventure, Quest for the Unknown.

The book contains a few wilderness encounters (including an encounter with the infamous hermit), but the thrust of the adventure will probably involve multiple forays to clean out the sprawling mines of chaos. The mines are essentially a big dungeon that is divided into two main levels with each level divided into five sublevels. Each sublevel is dominated by one humanoid race and the book addresses the sometimes uneasy relationships between the neighbors. It also gives the GM some advice on how to handle the PCs’ probable impact on the dungeon’s balance of power.

In a first for a HackMaster adventure (and in fact for any adventure module that I have ever seen), each encounter lists its ‘potential yield’ in experience and treasure right up front with handy checkboxes for the GM. Another feature is the perforated ‘battle sheets’ in the back of the book. Battle sheets are reference sheets that include stats for each encounter area’s monsters. The sheets also have handy checkboxes for tracking things like monster hit points and armor damage. Battle sheets are a neat idea, but I really don’t want to butcher my module by ripping out so many pages. I hope that Kenzer will see fit to make them available as a PDF download on their website at some point in the future.

If you want a mini-campaign setting that includes plenty of dungeon crawling, as well as opportunities for your players to interact with numerous interesting NPCs, you won’t go wrong with Little Keep on the Borderlands.

Our group played in this module for 5 months of weekly sessions and had a blast! It is definitely full of Role and Roll playing potential and keeps you on your toes. I would recommend this module to any new HackMaster group as a starting point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases