0- lvl Magic Missile

ThomasBJJ

First Post
I'm thinking about adding a cantrip to my campaign. Basically a magic missile that has Short range, does only 1 point of damage, never increases number of missiles, strikes unerringly, acts just like a magic missile in every way except it is only 1 damage.

It's useful cuz it doesn't require an attack roll like Ray of Frost.

Do you think this is too powerful or too weak?

Also, howcome there isn't a weaker version of Stoneskin. Damage Reduction 1/+1 at 1st or second level would be cool, as long as the duration wasn't too long.

zorlag

First Post
zorlag

Seems ok. There is a psionic power called far punch which is practically the same: Hits automatically, no save, no specific damagetype. You could call it Minor Spellstrike or something. And of course it would be blocked by shield spell...

Z.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Stoneskin is 4th isnt it ? Greater mark too... me baffled...

As for the Minor MM... its more for forcing Con checks ? Ray of Frost seems more useful... and I dont use it an awful lot...

Its balanced for sure....

StealthyMark

First Post
Greater Mark of Earth (BoEM) has some important differencies: It lasts 1 hour/level, it grants the recipient a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, and it gives DR 10/+1 for the whole duration. On top of that, Greater Mark of Earth doesn't has an expensive material component, like Stoneskin (250 gp) has. Plus you can use a rock blast.

Kinda cool, if used correctly.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Uhhh.. good point! They are both 4th level. Personally, I like Greater Mark of Stone better... it's a 10/+1 damage reduction for an hour/level, plus you can use up the ability in one shot with a volley of stones doing 5d6 damage.

Much cooler than the 3E Stoneskin. Bah.

Tom Cashel

First Post
2E Stoneskin was broken. :)

I'd say that for low to medium level characters, Greater Mark of Earth is the better spell. But at higher levels, when your enemies are likely to have magic weapons, that DR 10/+1 is going to be useless. Stoneskin, with its DR 10/+5, is much better when facing more powerful enemies.

Of course, Greater Mark of Earth also adds to Strength and can do damage...

This is the problem I have with Monte's spells...they are somewhat balanced, but they tend to be three spells all wrapped up in one casting. Chains of Vengeance holds, does damage, renders helpless, does more damage if you try to get out. Greater Mark of Earth protects, raises Strength, AND does damage. Anyone know of a Player's Handbook spell that has three separate, completely different effects? (not counting Prismatics, since these--for the most part--only make use of one type of effect against one target)...

Voadam

Legend
Otiluke's has options for different things as does flame arrow but you must pick which single effect option you want. For mutliple effect spells you generally must go to the forgotten realms:)

Tom Cashel

First Post
That gripe is more popular than accurate, IMHO...the spells from Magic of Faerun are a lot more balanced than the BoEM spells...

Unfortunately, I gave it to one of my players as a birthday gift, so now I have to let him use the spells! :mad:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Tom Cashel said:
2E Stoneskin was broken. :)
Boy Howdy!
This is the problem I have with Monte's spells...they are somewhat balanced, but they tend to be three spells all wrapped up in one casting. Chains of Vengeance holds, does damage, renders helpless, does more damage if you try to get out. Greater Mark of Earth protects, raises Strength, AND does damage. Anyone know of a Player's Handbook spell that has three separate, completely different effects? (

Shield: +3 reflex bonus, +7 AC, stops magic missiles, and prevents AoO's. (Since it was never officially errata'd, it still has all of these effects.)

Haste: +4 AC, Extra partial Action, increases the height limit on jumps.

Divine Power: Increases your strength to 18, grants temporary hit points, and gives you a fighter's BAB.

Tensers Transformation: Fighters BAB, temporary hit points, etc.

Polymorph or shapechange: increased physical stats, natural armor, possible reach, possible flight, etc.

Remove ads