Tome of Horrors II

The Horrors Return!
Necromancer Games brings you the sequel to the largest monster book in the history of d20 gaming. This tome contains nearly 200 never-before-seen monsters, from the crucifixion spirit to the dreaded encephalon gorger. Completely compatible with revised 3.5 rules, this book is also 100% Open Game Content. This large collection of monsters makes a great addition to any Third Edition campaign and was written with the expressed intent to provide usable, detailed, and unknown monsters.

"If a role playing game is a gun, then a monster book is the ammunition. If that's the case, then Tome of Horrors is a case of hollow point, explosive shells! You'll find yourself coming back to these pages again and again...It's that good" - Monte Cook in the introduction.

MonsterMash

First Post
Tome of Horrors II

Necromancer Games

By Scott Greene with Erica Balsley, Kevin Baase, Casey Christofferson, Jim Collura, Meghan Greene, Lance Hawvermale, Travis Hawvermale, Bill Kenower, Patrick Lawinger, Nathan Paul, Clark Peterson, and Bill Webb.

Unlike its predecessor this is a set of new monsters rather than conversions. The format is similar to the Tome of Horrors with black and white illustrations throughout. There is more space devoted to each creature than the first Tome of Horrors, with a description of its appearance, likely behaviour and special abilities.

Content
Unsurprisingly for Necromancer Games there are 16 undead, but for me I was glad to see 15 animals and 5 swarms as I'm always keen on these for my wilderness based campaigns. There are also some more demons and devils, with these tying into the original Tome of Horrors, with more about Lucifers minions.

There are eight fey and nine constructs including some evil fey which can be useful in wilderness focused campaigns. The constructs include five golems, including the Magnesium golem.

There are a couple of dragons including the Dungeon Dragon and three giants. The Dungeon Dragon is intriguing as it creates a dungeon which it then uses to lure in hapless adventurers, not so much to fight them as to observe them. The giants are all useful with
the Volcano Giant being my favourite of the three.

There are a number of humanoid creatures which to me are useful for giving flavour in
games rather than just'more orcs'. The main ones are a variant gnome, the Barbegazi,
living in the cold areas of the world; a crossbred Ogre/Hobgoblin, the Ogren; the Ryven, badger folk; the Huggermugger, which could provide a threat in urban encounters; and the Silid. The most complex humanoids are the Inphidian reptillian humanoids, which are an interesting type with three variations published in the book and scope for more.

The undead range in toughness between the weaker types like the Cadaver and the Hanged Man to tougher ones like the Red Jester and Crucifixion spirit.

The demons and devils have a mixture of individuals and commoner beasts, including some with low CR. I was particularly taken by Demoriel out of the devils, for the illustration if nothing else.

There are eight plants, including the sinister Gallowstree which creates its own undead to serve it in catching more prey. The Bog Creeper, Phlogiston, and Witch Tree all caught my eye.

There are six appendices:
  • A Animals
  • B Templates
  • C the N'gathau
  • D The planes of existence
  • E Feats
  • F Monster Glossary, CR index and monster type index

The Animals includes useful types like the Mountain Lion, some giant fish, and the
Smilodon. These are all new versions not based on previous publications with the same
creatures in.

Nine templates are included, with one or more examples of the way that they are used, and there is information about several planes of existence which supports some of the creatures included. The templates vary between being generally useful like the Undead Lord to fairly specific like the Corpsespun Creature which links to the Corpsespinner in the main list of creatures.

The full list of the templates is:
  • Amphisbaena
  • Cheitan
  • Corpsespun Creature
  • Debased Fey
  • Landwalker
  • Phase Creature
  • Ravenous (Eater of Flesh)
  • Spellgorged Zombie
  • Undead Lord

A number of the creatures and templates tie in to other products coming from Necromancer
including the City of Brass, where there are five creatures and one template, and some
others where I'm not certain which products they're due to be used in.

An appendix details the N'gathau which is a new set of extraplanar creatures from the
plane of Pain. The closest comparison I can make is with the cenobites from Hellraiser and its sequels. Personally I'm probably not going to use these, but they'd be useful in a more horror or dark oriented campaign. This part has the only closed content in the book.

Not only is there a table of contents, but there is also a challenge rating index and an index by monster name covering the original Tome of Horrors as well as the second book.
This is very useful and a major plus in my view.

As noted before the interior artwork is all black and white in a similar way to the first Tome of Horrors. Generally I like the artwork with some of the work by Richard Thomas and David Day really appealing to me.

Price
The list price is $34.95 in the US, which is a fair price for a hardcover of this size and represents value for money given how the creatures presented within can be used for
campaigns. The physical production is good, and looks like it should last.

Pluses:
  • Some inventive and useful creatures
  • A mixture of CRs not everything is high level or low level
  • Supplemental information on the planes of existence which ties into the devils and
    some of the other creatures.
  • Table of contents, indices, and clear page layout
  • Generally good artwork
  • Lots of wilderness creatures including some fey.

Negatives:
  • Possibly a greater number of creatures could have been included with less descriptive text for each one.
  • A few more creatures would have been nice, but there are nearly 200.
  • I'm not keen on the N'gathau.
  • one or two annoying errata like the missing feat on the Ogren

Downloads:
There are plans to add some websupport to the product, but currently all that is available at the time of writing is the preview at Necromancer Games website. There is also an errata thread on the Necromancer Games message boards, where most of the identified errata has been dealt with promptly.

Overall
I give it a five because there aren't any half stars and I was torn between 4.5 and 5
stars and I think that this will be a product I'll use heavily over the years unlike an adventure or splatbook. Other reasons - the range of CRs included, I don't like monster books with just high level or weak creatures included and this has a good range of useable monsters which are not too specific to any one setting.

Personal favourites with the creatures included are the Encepahlon Gorger, Red Cap and Hanged Man.

The original Tome of Horrors book has seen nearly as much use in my campaign as the Monster Manual. I came back to D&D after over a decade of playing other systems, skipping 2nd edition almost entirely. As a result, my games are full of nostalgic, "First Edition" feel. The original Tome of Horrors brought me back to those old days, lying on my bed with the Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II, dreaming up adventures featuring those wonderful monsters. Many of those ideas didn't see actual play back in the 1980's, but with the Tome of Horrors I was gleefully able to resurrect those old plans and inflict them not only on my older, jaded gaming crew, but also upon our new game-playing children.

When I heard that a sequel was in the works, devoid of any conversions from previous editions, I was skeptical. What was the point? I've not been impressed with most third-party D20 monster books. They just don't have the "feel" I look for - they are suited more exclusively for other campaign settings which I have no intention of ever using. While I've gained a lot of respect for the talents of Scott Greene, Erica Balsley, and the rest of the crew at Necromancer, I really wasn't too sure how well this book would be used. After all, there are a couple of similar books on my shelf gathering dust already.

I shouldn't have worried. Browsing through the pages, I experienced a strange form of nostalgia. It was very similar to the feeling I had when I opened up the pages of the Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II for 1st edition way back in the early 80's. These entries had the same kind of feel - they would have been right at home in an official book back in 1982. Necromancer Games lives up to its motto, "Third edition rules, First edition feel." I don't know how they managed to capture and evoke that sense of "old-school" gaming, but it's there.

So what's to love? Plenty.

* Fiends: The first Tome of Horrors was demon-heavy; this new one has its share, but also plenty of our favorite lawful-evil fiends. A pantheon of devils who followed the banished former ruler of Hell, Lucifer, is fleshed out with plenty of story hooks for the DM to spin into an adventure.

* Animals and Vermin: I've had to convert a bunch of animals from older modules and supplements, generally falling back upon the stats for a somewhat similar creature in the Monster Manual. There are plenty of nicely researched and statted animals - normal, giant, and prehistoric - available here. Mammoths, mastadons, giant pikes, mountain lions, and more. We also have a LOT of giant vermin to play with, too. Giant Yellowjackets, plenty of new giant beetles, giant fleas... amusing stuff to throw at your players.

* Plants: There are several spells and abilities (particularly for druids) emphasizing power over plants - but very few plant monsters in the core books. There are several new plant monsters in here, and many have a few more powers than simply choking hapless players who stumble across them. The Witch-tree is one of my favorites... something I expect to become a regular in my campaigns.

* Undead: I got annoyed at some of the undead in recent WotC offerings - they had some great unique abilities, but there was no real description of how these things came to be or why they existed. So you have something that looks like a zombie dragon... was it a dragon in life, or is it something else altogether? No clue. The new undead types in this book are given appropriately creepy origins and ecological niches. Like the murder-born... hateful creatures that arise when a mother and unborn child are murdered. THAT could creep out some of my players! It's not just the undead that are given such description though, to be fair --- all of the creatures are NICELY described with a discussion of their origins and motivations. Good stuff to wrap an adventure around.

* Templates: I'm a sucker for templates. Frankly, it's a lot easier to slap a template on a monster to turn it into a more powerful, 'exceptional' representative of its race than it is to advance it through other means. And its a lot more noticeable (and memorable) by the players. There are nine templates to be found here. Some of them are pretty boring - like the Corpsespun. Undead Lords are handy but nothing to write home about. The Landwalker and Debased Fey are very interesting templates in that they allow you to bring some creatures that the PCs normally wouldn't encounter in a conflict (sea creatures and good fey) in as enemies. The artwork of the landwalker shark is a little silly, but somehow I don't think my players would be laughing too hard if the encountered the things.

* The N'Gathau: This appendix is really crying out for a module / setting of its own - this chapter describes the Plane of Agony, a nice, evil addition to the standard D&D cosmology. Most evil outsiders aren't clearly different from each other outside of their alignments and their collection of resistances / immunities (come on... can you really tell the difference from a demon, devil, daemon (yugoloth), and demodand if you didn't already know which is which?). These creatures are actually mutilated humanoids who have undergone incredible torture of their bodies and spirits until they've gone native. Intriguing and nightmarish ideas. I wonder if Scott Greene has trouble sleeping at night?

* The feats: Some very cool monster feats appear here which I can't wait to add to standard monsters. The "Strength of the Grave" feat for undead is my favorite. This feat allows the undead creature to save against and partially resist the efforts of a cleric to turn it. I've hated how turning is such an all-or-nothing effect... either the cleric succeeds and yields and easy encounter, or she fails and things turn very badly very quick. This feat provides something between the extremes.

* Unusual swarms: How about a swarm of fey (grigs)? Or pirhana? How about a swarm of tiny constructs? These are PERFECT for several situations. Swarms of poisonous frogs and velvet ants are also provided. GREAT stuff.

* Some new / old favorites: The BLACK SKELETON (anyone familiar with Rappan Athuk will love / hate this creature ) gets 3.5 stats. The Inphindians are a very cool race of snake-people from the mega-module Necropolis. Very different in flavor the Yuan-Ti, they nevertheless could provide an OGL-compliant substitute for the Yuan-Ti in D20 modules. Ditto for the Encephalon Gorger - an alien-race of brain-devourers who could provide a substitute for Mind Flayers in a commercial D20 product, but nevertheless have an entirely different flavor from the old (non-OGL) favorite. The Piercer is revised from its Tome of Horror I appearance. There are others, like the Cinder Ghoul, Sand Kraken, Demoriel the Devil, Caasimolar the former president of Hell, Cerebral Stalkers, and Fear Guards that I expect could become staples of my campaigns. They are just *COOL* and seem easy or very fun to use.

Some things I'm not QUITE so keen on:

* A few silly an uninspired monsters. I'll admit to kind of a love / hate thing with Red Jester (an undead comedian) - I didn't like it at first but I think it would be funny enough to throw against my players in a real game. Some of the others... the Troblin (Troll / Goblin crossbreed) and Ogren (Ogre - Hobgoblin crossbreed) are just not that exciting. Maybe these appeared in modules I haven't read yet. And the Screaming Skull is just one of those old "DM Specials" designed to freak out the metagamers. Amusing to use once, maybe.

* Golems - Okay. I LIKE the golems. I'm trying to nitpick here. It seems that those crazy magic users are making golems out of absolutely ANYTHING these days. The ones in this book are better and more interesting than those I've seen in many other recent supplements, so I'm sure I'll use them, but still... It seems like golems are becoming filler for monster books these days... can't fill your page count? Come up with some other item around the house that a wizard could make a robot out of. Any day now I'm expecting to see a book with a Belly-Button Lint Golem, Pencil-Shaving Golem, and a golem made from the waste from the privy. (Actually.... that would be pretty cool, if gross...)

* Low-Level Monsters: My biggest complaint. Like most other monster supplements, this book concentrates on creatures with a CR under 12. Sure, the lower-level creatures can be advanced several different ways, but the fact remains: I now have enough low-level monsters to run a hundred campaigns without the players every encountering the same monster twice, or ever having to fall back on the old standbys of orcs, goblins, and kobolds. But in spite of having seven dedicated monster supplements, I'm still struggling to find the "right" monster to throw at my high-level party. And like most other monster books, too many of the high-level monsters are outsiders. Come on... can't we have some good CR 17 vermin, oozes, undead, plants, and magical beasts for a change? Do they all have to be a dragon or come from the outer planes?

Nitpicks aside, I'd recommend this book with no reservations. It's an outstanding work, and one I'm very pleased to have on my shelf. I expect it will see a LOT of use in the coming years.

Frilf

Explorer
Don't forget the imminent Monkeyfat Golem, the Horseradish Golem, and the ever-popular Brick & Mortar Golem :)

Nice review. Well-balanced and reasoned. I agree with your assessment of the product overall here and I really like ToH II better than ToH I. Here's hoping for a Part III!

JoeGKushner

First Post
How many monsters can one campaign have? As many as the GM wants. The more variety that the GM can utilize in his adventures, the more surprised the characters. For me, this is almost an essential thing as my players are almost all old school and the idea of fighting another orc, while plausible when done with the proper ambiance and background information, is well, redundant.

Enter the Tome of Horrors II. Let me get the stuff I’m not crazy about listed out front as I wouldn’t want to leave readers with the idea that I don’t love this book. First, the back cover claims that these are “never-before-seen monsters.” Well, that’s not quite true. More than one or two of them have taken a bow from 1st edition products. Take the amphisbaena template. Perhaps I’m just too old and remember the old giant snake with two heads. Don’t get me wrong; this template adds all new utility to the idea of the monster, but never before seen? How about the Black Skeletons, originally from Rappan Athuk? Minor issue as they’re all updated to 3.5.

Okay, what next then? How about the large amount of things that relate to the City of Brass? Now I’m looking forward to that adventure-sourcebook but I’m torn. As a reader, do I want to see all of the material that’s here reprinted in that book? If I was a gamer without this book, would I want to be forced to buy it if the City of Brass recommends it?

Lastly, there are a few creatures I just don’t need to see. When you start making humanoids that have no real definition outside of that given to them by the background, are they really useful? Do we need another small humanoid race that dwell in “vast tunnel complexes that connect all of the large cities of the world”? like the huggermugger? No, I’m pretty sure that territory is covered. And do we need the ogren, a half ogre who has hobgoblin blood and the troblin, a troll with goblin blood? No. There are enough templates out there that almost any half-breed can be created these days.

Now those are my three complains about the book. It’s not like every creature is a humanoid trying to fill the role of another humanoid or every creature is an old beastie updated. I know some are puzzled that the four pages of advertisements don’t bother me. Well, I guess the difference is that this isn’t a 112 page book or 126 page book where four pages cuts into the utility. With 244 pages of solid material, the four pages of ads don’t phase me at all.

Now for the good news. The book is much better illustrated than Tome of Horrors and Creature Collection Revised. I’m not going to sit here and over a dozen artists but some that people might recognize include Tyler Walpole, Eric Lofgren, Tim Truman and UDON. This insures that when I describe the creature and pull out the illustration for the first time, that the players aren’t asking me, “So is this a shadow creature or an ink blob or something else?” Not to say that there aren’t a few dogs here but overall the art went way up with this book.

Now for news for people who think art is useless and they’d rather have more text at 10-point font with no spaces in between the lines. There is a huge amount of utility waiting to be explored in this book for GMs. These range from GMs who are running a planar adventure and looking to expand the ranks of their outer planar enemies and allies to GMs running a standard dungeon crawl looking for new challenges to torment the characters with.
The monster stats look good in terms of 3.5 compliance. Speed lists number of squares, armor class is broken up by bonuses and includes touch and flat-footed information. Base attack and grapple are listed as well as full attack. Challenge rating and level adjustment are kept separate. When character options are presented, traits are provided including stat adjustment but full ECL is not calculated. For example, the aberrant is a 8 hit dice creature with a +4 level adjustment for its ECL is actually 12. Creatures include a brief description to be read aloud, but no tactics.

In terms of demons and devils, I tend to enjoy the new unique denizens that Necromancer has brought us. Sultry females like the demon Caizel and the devil Demoriel. Canny keepers of devilish power like Caasimolar or powerful devil dukes like Xaphan. These individuals give a little more detail to the Unholy Schism and the Great Uprising as well as minor details on the mini-plane, Infernus itself. Its interesting that they used the name Infernus as that was the old setting of the Role Aid’s Demons book. Necromancer Games is famous for their first edition feel. Perhaps they’ll also do a version of Outer Planar creatures for GMs to tinker with? One can only hope.

But what if you’re not into the outer planes at all? Then break out the landwalker template and relive the old land shark gag from Saturday Night Live. Bust out any type of undead you want and make it a Lord. Much easer on the GM who doesn’t want to wait for the latest version of the Ghoul Lord or Zombie Lord to come out.

For those who want a Hellraiser feel to their campaign, flip to Appendix C with the N’gathau. For those who’ve never seen any of the movies or read any of the fiction, the Hellraiser Cenobites are creatures that delight in brining pain and suffering to the world of mortals for their god, Leviathan. The N’gathau serve the Twelve on the Plane of Agony where they tourture outsider souls for eternity even as they craft humanoid races into shapes more pleasing. A lot of potential here for the GM who wants to run with it. This is another section that Necromancer Games could craft into a separate book with more details on the Twelve and more denizens of the plane itself. Ironically enough though, the template lists the CR as a boost of +3 and the sample creature’s CR has only been adjusted by 2.

What if you’re just starting a new campaign and have 1st level characters? Is there anything here for you? How about giant beetles with a nice range of CRs from 1 to 3 or lesser fire crabs with a CR of ½? Other options abound like barrow rats and small quasi-elementals, either acid of obsidian.

Higher level parties may wind up fighting volcano giants or even a jade colossus but most of the creatures above twenty are unique save for the Stygian Leviathan, a monster that lurks in the River Styx and clocks in at a CR of 21. Not bad for a colossal magical beast eh?

Perhaps one of the most interesting creatures here is the Dungeon Dragon. This creature actually creates dungeons and takes entertainment as adventurers wander through its crafted maze. It has the ability to dominate monsters, change shape and craft a crystal ball so it's almost always assured of a good show.

With the wide assortment of creatures, the Tome of Horrors II is going to be a useful tool in my campaign for a long time.

Turanil

First Post
>Any day now I'm expecting to see a book with a (...) golem
>made from the waste from the privy.

Liter Brute from Menace Manual (d20 modern).

I noticed on the ToH2 preview, that the illustration for the Abyssal Wolf is really a sort of Lion, certainly not a wolf. Either this is a mistake in the preview, or they don't care for the customer, thinking them to be ignorant idiots. For me it sounds as: "Hey! Where d'ya think we could put this lion pic? I don't know... maybe here: that wolf comes from the abysses, he could look like anything, so a lion is as good as anything else, lets put it there, nobody will notice".

Gez

First Post
Initiative: After the much acclaimed and nearly indispensable Tome of Horrors, the second volume of the series was much awaited.

Hit Dice: However, it is a little disappointing -- 80 less pages for a price $15 more expensive... Also, contrarily to the first, it's not an update of old favorites (and less favorites ;)), but a compendium of original monsters -- and important difference.

Since the nostalgia appeal isn't there, and neither the potential for using more easily 2e sourcebooks and adventures that references neglected monsters; those new monsters have to be interesting in their own right. And right they are.

Organisation: The book is organised roughly like the 3e MM: no chapters, just one long stream of monsters (nearly 170, more if you count as separate the multiple monsters put under the same entry, like the two new quasi-elementals), plus appendices. Bonus points for including a list of creatures by types and subtypes next to the table of content.

Special Attacks: The first appendix is for animals, 19 of them (including three with a variant). Strangely, vermins are put in the main part of the book, but not animals.

The second appendix holds nine templates: Amphisbaena (not just for snakes anymore), Cheitan (a half-efreet template), Corpsespun Creature (tied to a spider-monster in the book, named, you guessed it, Corpsespinner), Debased Fey (for wicked unseelie court type), Landwalker (now you can send krakens and piranha swarm against those landlubbing PCs! Oh, and stygian leviathans too), Phase Creatures (once you get tired of spiders...), Ravenous (kinda like a wendingo), Spellgorged Zombie (interesting things you can do with dead spellcasters), and Undead Lord (turn any undead into an evil boss).

A tenth template is placed in the third appendix. This section of the book details the N'gathau, weird sadomasochistic freaks from a lovely plane called Agony, who create more of their own through torture and mutilation. Outside of the template, there are no rules here -- only description of the Twelve bosses of the N'gathau, and of their god, the Quorum (made from four people grafted together, one man and a half, and one woman and a half). If you are a Hellraiser fan, you'll love them.

The fourth appendix details a bit a few new planes. Infernus, Lucifer's pocket realm, is here, as well as Agony. Other new planes include the Plane of Molten Skies (nice name), which is tied to Necromancer's interpretation of the City of Brass; the Plane of Time, and three quasi-elemental planes, of Acid, Lightning, and Obsidian.

Appendix five contains 16 feat on 3 and a half pages. One feat (Battle Shout) is referenced in the book, but got cut. Not for space reason, though, since there was more than enough place with that blank half page.

The sixth appendix holds a memory helper of the traits (but not features) associated with each creature type and special subtype. It also contains useful tables of monsters sorted by Challenge Rating -- including those from the first ToH, and an index listing the source and page number for each monster in both Tomes.

It ends on a legal appendix. Strangely, the first Tome of Horrors is not mentionned in Section 15. I guess it would have required them too much space to follow their own guidelines, and as they are the copyright holders, they can allow themselves this. Then there's a few pages of advertisement for Necromancer, White Wolf, and Reaper Miniatures products.

Full Attack: The icing having been done with, let's look at the cake: the 160+ monsters. The stat-blocks respect the 3.5 rules and norms (with "base attack/grapple", "attack" and "full attack" entries, and a "level adjustment" entry for each creature). Armor Class is broken as expected with full AC, list of bonus, touch AC and flat-footed AC. The Environment entry of extraplanar creatures list their home plane. And so on -- in other words, the stat-blocks are perfect.

However, the descriptive paragraph that was introduced in the revision of the Monster Manual has been imperfectly applied here. While one was written for most of the first creatures (by alphabetical order), as you progress in the book, it becomes evident this effort wasn't always done. The first paragraph of the creature's description was italicised, regardless of whether it was really a good idea. Let's take for example the Volcano Giant:
Volcano giants make their homes in the many twisting caves and subterranean rooms of volcanic cones, enlarging and reinforcing them for comfort and convenience.
For a text that is supposed to be able to be paraphrased or read aloud by a DM when he introduces a monster, it's a miss -- it does not describe in any way how the giant looks. Golems are another example: the description of the furnace golem explains how its fires need to fuel and cannot be extinguished, though they burn out if the golem is destroyed; and the description of the magnesium golem explains how they obey their masters and what they are created for. I could list a lot of others, but it would be boring, so let's pass to another gripe.

Ogre is not a subtype. The first Tome of Horrors re-introduced the half-ogre, the orog, and the ogrillon, but as humanoids with ogre, orog, and ogrillon as subtypes. It annoyed me -- conceptually, I think they should have been Giants with human and orc subtypes instead. Ogre is not a subtype, but orc is. Well, they did this again with the Ogren, a ogre/hobgoblin crossbreed, which is dubbed Humanoid (Ogre). I promptly changed it to Giant (Goblinoid). Ha!

One last technical point, art. It's overall good, better than the first Tome. There's a few pics that don't really match the description -- the abyssal wolf looks more like an abyssal lion, the scythe horn is described as bison-like but looks more like a horned horse, or a goat, etc. The only real blooper is the Clamor, described as being an incorporeal being made only of ripples of air and sound, but illustrated as sort of mouth golem or humanoid-shaped gibbering mouther. Gni?

Armor Class: The monsters themselves are usually imaginative and interesting. The swarms are especially nice: there's a swarm of grigs (good idea), a swarm of piranha (so obvious it was painful it wasn't in the MM, good idea), a swarm of animated caltrops (good idea). Only regret about swarms: a bit before in the book they made 7 entries, from Tiny to Colossal, for the Sea Wasp, a sort of jellyfish. They could have put a swarm of Tiny Sea Wasp in the same entry.

A few favorites: There are lots of Tiny fey, and that's great. Asrai (mini-naiad), Mimi (frost-themed sprite), Redcap (one-foot-tall serial killer). Outside of their own potential as monsters, the Mimi and the Redcap could make great Improved Familiars. Several nasty plants, like the bloodsuckle, vicious mind-controlling vampiric plant. Nice flavour creatures, like the Church Grim. Several new demons and devils, including in the fiendish aristocracy (the Lucifer backstory is expanded on here). The Inphidians from the first Tome gets updated and get two new variants. And the Sepia Snake, famous for the sigil spell that summons it, gets described at last! Oh, and I also like the Dragonship -- a drakar longship whose contruction requires burning several navigation maps. The knowledge once held by these destroyed maps is then kept in the Dragonship.

Among the running themes, you have undead (a lot of new undead, most of them created by a special way to be killed, be it by being hanged, crucified, magically incinerated, etc.), desert- and fire-creatures (a heavy influence of that ongoing City of Brass project at Necromancer Games), weird cats (the tangtal looks like a response to the Displacer Beast going PI, the Tazelwurm looks like a reverse Kamadan), dangerous trees (like the Gallows Tree and its zombies, the sneaky Sleeping Willow, or the Witch Tree)...

Also of note are the Weirds (if you preferred the old evil snake-shaped monsters to the new human-shaped seers, you'll like these Weirds) and the Encephalon Gorger (no, they aren't really like mindflayers, although they can fill a similar niche, somewhat).

Challenge Rating: So, what to think of this book? Well, it's a good book, and one I won't regret having purchased. Is it a must have? No, I don't think so. Contrarily to its predecessor, which is an absolute must-buy (do not care about it not being up-to-date with 3.5). I would put it somewhere between between the WotC Fiend Folio and Monster Manual 2 on the scale of Great Monster Books To Have (I'd say the hierarchy goes like this: MM1, ToH, FF, ToH2, MM2). If you liked the first Tome and the Fiend Folio, and are looking for more strange critters, the second Tome is for you, with its weird creatures and smart ideas.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases