Initiative: +0; +3 (Dex) as hyaenadon
Speed: 30 ft.; 40 ft. as hyaenadon
AC: 13 (+3 natural); 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural) as hyaenadon
Attacks: Greatsword +3 melee; bite +5 melee as hyaenadon
Damage: Greatsword 2d6+3 melee; bite 4d4+3 melee as hyaenadon
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft;
5 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft as hyaenadon
Special Attacks: Curse of Lycanthropy, Trip as hyaenadon
Special Qualities: Hyena empathy, darkvision 60 ft.; plus scent, damage reduction 15/silver as hyenadon
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8 as Gnoll;
Str 17, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8 as hyaenadon
Skills: Control Shape +6, Listen +7, Search +4, Spot +7; Control Shape +6, Hide +7, Listen +13, Move Silently +6, Search +8, Spot +13 in hyaenadon form
Feats: Power Attack; Blind-fight, Weapon Finesse (bite) as hyaenadon
Climate/Terrain: Temperate or warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary or pack (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class

Ghuuna (the form is singular and plural) are the result of a special quasi-lycanthropy created by Yeenoghu that affects only gnolls, causing them to shapechange into a hyaenodon form. Ghuuna are affected by stress and phases of the moon like other lycanthropes.

In their normal (unchanged) form, ghuuna appear to be large gnolls. In this form they shun armor and usually carry greatswords as weapons. In both forms, ghuuna have 60 ft. darkvision and acute senses of hearing and smell.

Ghuuna can speak the usual languages a gnoll may know. They rarely intentionally spread "ghuunism" among gnolls, preferring to be "the few and the proud."

Combat

Alternate Form (Su): Ghuuna can assume the form of a hyaenadon (dire hyena). Unlike some lycanthropes, ghuuna have no hybrid form.

Hyena Empathy (Ex): Ghuuna can communicate and empathize with hyenas and hyaenodons (dire hyenas). This gives them a +4 racial bonus to checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as "friend," "foe," "flee," and "attack." Any ghuuna encountered is 80% likely to be accompanied by 2 hyenas (70%) or 1 hyaenodon (30%) being kept as pets or guards.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): In hyaenodon form, ghuuna can deliver a crushing bite. In addition, their bite will inflict "ghuunism" among gnolls in the same manner that lycanthropy is spread by regular were-creatures; Any gnoll hit by a ghuuna’s bite attack in hyaenadon form must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 15) or contract lycanthropy. Other humanoids who are bitten must make a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be affected by the Red Ache (incubation 1d3 days, 1d6 Str damage).

Trip (Ex): A hyenadon that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyenadon.

The ghuuna first appeared in the article "Creature Catalog: A menagerie of new monsters for you" in Dragon #89 .

Krishnath

First Post
I like it, but then again Gnolls are one of my favourite humanoids :D
But I think it would be more fitting as a template in 3E (only useable on gnolls of course.), mostly due to the fact that you can add class levels to gnolls now.
Did I mention that I like it :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases