[POLL] Do you stat out every little detail?

How much do you actually stat out for NPCs?

• Don't look at me, I'm not a DM!

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Every detail needs to be just right. The rules are there for a reason.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I'll stat out everything... well, okay, I don't know whether my NPC has a tinderbox or not.

Votes: 64 26.0%
  • The combat basics are all detailed, and generally a close estimate for the rest of the stats.

Votes: 88 35.8%
  • I accurately try to guess most numbers. General ballpark should be fine.

Votes: 67 27.2%
  • I'll base any result on a die roll, for I sure don't know the stats of my NPC!

Votes: 9 3.7%

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I was wondering, on the basis of this thread , how many DMs stat out everything, and how many skip the little details, such as skill points (a similar thread was done a few days ago, but it was a bit vague IMO).

I myself don't even stat out BAB. NPCs are done totally on the fly. I just do a quick calculation in my head when I need it ("lessee, 8th level fighter... +1 Sword, Greater Weapon Focus, say, 17 STR, that's +14 to hit").

In dungeons, I design the "key rooms", and I'll connect them somehow during the session.

How do you handle it?

Rav

Crothian

First Post
I define what needs to mbe defined... and that;'s very little. I'm more concerned with the name, personalty, and history of NPCs then their game stats.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
It depends on how much planning time I have free. I try to have everything statted out. Mostly because I forget things though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Minor NPC
Jhon the beggar, half-elf, Surly and smelly, HP 1, Bab -2 Stick d4, 4sp, rags
Habitat: Urban appears on Random encounter roll 4 - 8

Major NPC
Jhon the beggar (ex-warrior), half-elf, Surly and smelly, HP 5, Bab +1 Stick d4, Knowledge:Local +6, 4sp, rags
Habitat: Urban appears on Random encounter roll 4 - 8
Notes: Knows a lot about the city and will answer questions for coin

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
Trying to go to too much detail - that way lies madness

Enough to run the NPC easily - maybe combat stats, significant skills, HP, AC, stuff to know how to play them (name, description) and that's it.

GlassJaw

Hero
I selected "everything" but that's only what the PC's are going to fight or major NPC's. I don't find doing stat blocks that difficult. I have some Excel spreadsheets that I've made and the SRD makes creature statblocks pretty easy to tinker with.

The best method I've found is to put everything in stat blocks a la Dungeon magazine, modules, etc. That way you've got everything boiled down to the essentials in a nice and organized format. Make a generic stat block template in Word and then just copy and paste it and fill in the blanks. You'll be surprised how soon you'll be able to do things off the top of your head.

Wombat

First Post
I'm just fine with ballparking, just as I am with improvising.

Hey, if the players zig instead of zag, y'gotta be prepared to wing it.

Arnwyn

First Post
If combat is expected, then I will stat out everything (though equipment will be the least detailed - like the tinderbox example given in the poll).

If no combat is expected, there will be no stats whatsoever.

ivocaliban

First Post
I like to stat things out and my NPCs are pretty detailed, but I don't feel I'm a stickler about it. I just enjoy the process.

Remove ads