Pearl of Power

Christian

Explorer
Quick question-can a cleric or druid that's dropped a prepared spell to case a cure or summon spell use a pearl of power to recover the lost spell (as if it had been cast)?

Probably been answered somewhere, but I can't recall ...

Thanks!

Krafen

First Post
Are you asking whether the pearl of power would restore the originally prepared spell or the spontaneously cast spell? If you are, I think it would restore the originally prepared spell.

dcollins

Explorer
Actually, I'd say it totally doesn't work in that case. The exact language is that it "enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast". If you didn't prepare and cast it, then the pearl doesn't work.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
dcollins said:
Actually, I'd say it totally doesn't work in that case. The exact language is that it "enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast". If you didn't prepare and cast it, then the pearl doesn't work.
When you spontaneously cast a cure spell, you lose the original spell as if it had been cast, do you not? That would count toward the "prepared and then cast" I'd think.

Christian

Explorer
Krafen-no, it's pretty clear to me that if this works at all, it's the originally prepared spell that's restored. Lord P & dcollins-your positions are exactly the two I was waffling between ... I was hoping there was something definitive that had been written somewhere.

dcollins

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:
When you spontaneously cast a cure spell, you lose the original spell as if it had been cast, do you not?

You lose it, but I can't see how it counts as casting it (because you didn't). Would you rule the same way after losing a spell to energy drain (which also says "she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell")?

sfedi

First Post
No rules to back me up, but I'd give the more generous option in this case.
I.e. the original spell is retores, which can be spontaneously converted again.

This keeps the spirit of the item: give one more spell slot, without the versatility of acquiring new prepared spells, but recasting those already prepared and cast.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
dcollins said:
You lose it, but I can't see how it counts as casting it (because you didn't). Would you rule the same way after losing a spell to energy drain (which also says "she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell")?
Assuming the level drain were removed (so the slot becomes available again), then yes, I'd rule that a Pearl of Power could refill that spell. You lose it as if you'd cast it. So you can get it back as if you'd cast it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
Assuming the level drain were removed (so the slot becomes available again), then yes, I'd rule that a Pearl of Power could refill that spell. You lose it as if you'd cast it. So you can get it back as if you'd cast it.

do you rule the same with a failed concentration check?

sidetrek: i always hear ZZTop whenever i see pearls of power :heh:

Krafen

First Post
SRD said:
Pearl of Power: This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).
Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled; Price 1,000 gp (1st), 4,000 gp (2nd), 9,000 gp (3rd), 16,000 gp (4th), 25,000 gp (5th), 36,000 gp (6th), 49,000 gp (7th), 64,000 gp (8th), 81,000 gp (9th), or 70,000 gp (two spells).
(emphasis added)

An extremely strict reading of the description could be that since you prepared, for example, bless and cast (spontaneously) cure light wounds you did not fulfil the requirement to both prepare and cast bless and can, therefore, not use the Pearl of Power to restore bless to prepared status. I would not read the description this strictly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases