What do you consider the quintessential knight in shinning armor?

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hello!

To me, the Knights of the Round Table are the archetype of the "knight in shining armor", especially Galahad, Lancelot, and Percival.

The original Paladins were the Knights of the Palace, or Knights Paladin for short, the twelve Peers of Charlemagne. Roland and Ogier the Dane are the only two I can remember off the top of my head. If I remember correctly, the D&D Paladin class was inspired a great deal by the character Holger Carlsen in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. I'll also note here, as I think I did in the previously-menitoned thread on Dirty Harry, that the D&D paladin class involves an explicitly religious component. They are holy warriors, and non-holy warriors like Dirty Harry or Batman don't fit the mold for me, no matter how Lawful Good they might be. Even among the Arthurian knights, only Galahad and maybe Lancelot are potential paladins to me. And Lancelot falls before the story ends.

One medieval writer compiled a popular list of the "Nine Worthies of the World", who were held up as examples of what a noble warrior might aspire to. The list included three pagans (Hector of Troy, Alexander the Great, and Julius Caesar), three Jews (Joshua, David, and Judas Maccabeus), and three Christians (Arthur, Charlemagne, and Godfrey de Bouillon).

Don Quixote does indeed seem to have the ideals down pat; he may not be perceiving the real world, but he applies the ideals as a knight would in the world he is experiencing. The differences between the world he perceives and the real world are the source of the tragedy and the comedy in the stories of Quixote.

The inclusion of Wheel of Time characters does bug me a bit, fan though I am of the series. They are, after all, broad adaptations of mythic figures that others have mentioned, and Gawyn and Galad are particularly blatant Arthurian borrowings.

Posted by hong:
Note that the Crusaders themselves were the ones who spread the legend of Saladin as an enlightened ruler to Europe.

True enough. He treated captured Christian leaders fairly well after the battle at Hattin, though this was typical with high nobles who were expected to be used in prisoner exchanges. Still, no one is denying that he would have crushed the Crusader states if he could have, deals or no deals. Indeed, he launched a campaign with this goal soon after that, and was stopped mainly by the efforts of Conrad of Montferrat, the timely arrival of the Crusade led by Richard of England and Phillip of France, and his own declining health.

Posted by DM_Matt:
Saladin, on the other hand, is the arab symbol of destruction of the west.

Actually, as I understand it, Saladin is viewed with suspicion in many radical quarters of the Arab world as too accomodating. The real hero of the radicals is most often the Mamluk Baybars al-Bunduqdari, whose brutality in the sack of Christian Antioch is viewed with great approval. After pillaging the city, rounding up all the salable slave material, and killing everyone else, he wrote a taunting letter to the city's absent ruler Bohemond, gloating over his victory. Here are some excerpts, as quoted by author John J. Robinson:

"Hadst thou but seen thy knights trodden under the hoofs of our horses! Thy palaces raided by plunderers and ransacked for booty! Thy treasures weighed out by the hundredweight! Thy ladies bought and sold with thine own treasure, at four for a single dinar! Hadst thou but seen thy churches demolished, thy crosses sawn in sunder, thy garbled gospels hawked about, the tombs of thy nobles cast to the ground, the monk and the priest and the deacon slaughtered on the altar, the rich abased to misery, princes of the royal blood reduced to slavery! Couldst thou but have seen the flames devouring the halls...the Churches of Paul and Cosmas rocking and going down -- then thou wouldst have said, 'Would God that I were dust!'

This letter holds happy tidings for thee. It tells thee that God watches over thee to prolong thy days, inasmuch as thou wert not in Antioch. Hadst thou been there, now wouldst thou be slain or a prisoner, wounded or disabled. A live man rejoiceth in his safety when he looketh on a field of the slain...As not a man hath escaped to tell the tale, we tell it to thee. As no soul got away to apprise thee that thou art safe, while all the rest have perished, we so apprise thee.
"

Baybars was also the first Muslim leader to score significant victories against the Mongols, who had mercilessly crushed the sect of Assassins and broken the power of the Caliph at Baghdad, pillaging and ruining that city utterly in 1258.

Posted by hong:
I see. So despite his sparing Jerusalem's Christian inhabitants in 1187 (in stark contrast to the Crusaders' behaviour at the culmination of the First Crusade), Saladin REALLY WAS a bad guy at heart.

The Orthodox Christians, who had previously demonstrated their willingness to live under Islamic domination, were indeed spared. For their willingness to cooperate, they were returned Christian holy places which had been taken over by Latin Christians under the Crusader regime. Latin Christians had to pay ransoms to escape, and most of those who failed to pony up were sold into slavery. This highly profitable "sparing" hardly consitutes evidence of great magnanimity to me. Rather reminds me of a mugger who might leave his victims enough for bus fare home...

Posted by hong:
Some transcend this, to gain the respect and even the acclamation of their enemies. Saladin achieved this. Godfrey of Buillon, Bohemond, Raymond of Toulouse, and the other leaders of the First Crusade did not.

Actually, Raymond of Toulouse did gain some respect from the Muslims for chivalrous behavior in the aftermath of the conquest of Jerusalem. It is said that when the towns of Ascalon and Arsuf came to negotiate surrender after the Crusaders had established themselves in Jerusalem, they had as a non-negotiable condition that such surrender was to be made only to Raymond of Toulouse, whose fair reputation had begun to spread. This supposedly infuriated Godfrey de Bouillon, the leader of the Crusaders, and the negotiations failed, leaving those towns in Muslim hands for years to come.

Of course, the standards of chivalry to which Raymond was being compared were not stellar. As one report on the conquest of Jerusalem read: "If you would hear how we treated our enemies at Jerusalem, know that in the portico of Solomon and in the Temple our men rode through the unclean blood of the Saracens, which came up to the knees of their horses."

Posted by ninthcouncil:
Almost any "heroic" figure, examined too closely, begins to wilt, some of them rather alarmingly. Which is why the "best" ones are largely or wholly fictional, or at least obscure beyond scholarly examiniation (e.g. Arthur).

You mean heroes whose lives we know about tend to be actual human beings, and not perfect icons? Even a cursory reading of the biographies of many Christian Saints makes this abundantly clear. No mere mortal I have ever heard of has overcome every moral challenge they ever faced, yet many can still be recognized as living with great virtue.

Posted by GrimJesta:
And if Ralph Nader could use a sword...:D :rolleyes: :D

Too funny. I could just see him in medieval times, trying to build up a "charitable" empire by harassing dealers of horses that he labels "unsafe at any speed", and then trying to parlay that into a noble or royal title. I'd certainly pay to see the lawsuits of his pressure groups settled by putting him in a trial by combat. Celebrity Deathmatch with him and Lee Iacocca! :D

Anyway, hope this helps!

PeterLind

First Post
I have a question for you:

How would you create a Quintessential Knight using the D&D Core Rules? What classes/PClasses, Skills, and Feats would you use? If you were using point buy, where would you allocate the character's Abilities? Let's assume a Human character . . .

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Off the top of my head, I'd say Fighters and Paladins loaded up on mounted combat feats, high Ride scores, and specialized (if a fighter, of course) in the heavy lance. Skills like Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty (maybe to include heraldry) and Knowledge: Religion also seem appropriate. Sword & Fist has a few good knightly Prestige Classes, but I think you can make a fine knight without 'em.

Last edited:

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hello again!

Posted by PeterLind:
How would you create a Quintessential Knight using the D&D Core Rules?

Hm, interesting question. The essence of knighthood was the promise of military service in return for the right to administer an area of a noble's land. The very work "knight" comes from the Old English knecht or cniht, meaning servant. This service was formalized in the oath of fealty, the basis of the entire feudal system, and a sense of honor was cultivated in knights to improve their loyalty to their oath in the chaos and danger of the battlefield. The service was usually interpreted as mounted, armored service, and knights who administered their lands so poorly that they could not maintain servicable mount, weapons, and armor were supposedly stripped of their lands and knighthood in some cases. Knights were often also expected to provide levied peasant foot troops from their land for military service, and those granted more or better land generally also had higher requirements for the number of levies they had to maintain.

I'd go with a either a straight-up Fighter or a Fighter/Aristocrat mix for D&D knights, with perhaps some levels of Paladin for truly devout Templar-style religious knights. Veteran warriors knighted for battlefield valor and loyalty would tend more towards the Fighter, while knights raised as court pages and squires, or with long peacetime administration experience on their lands, would be tilted towards Aristocrat. Stats would include enough STR and CON to handle heavy weapons and armor well. Feats would likely include Spirited Charge and its prereqs, plus additional combat feats to taste, probably concentrating on the traditional knightly weapons of lance, long sword, mace, and dagger. Leadership would also seem appropriate, though its game effects might not be what historical knights would use leadership abilites for. Skills would include Ride, Profession skills appropriate to the administration of their lands (farming, law, etc.), and Knowledge and social skills appropriate to the courtly life (Diplomacy, Sense Motive, perhaps Perform).

The service and fealty aspect of the knightly life would have to be handled through role-playing. Some game worlds, though, have rules, or at least solid guidelines and examples, for this sort of thing (like the Birthright setting, a favorite of mine). Players, like many historical knights, are often very reluctant to take orders or be forced into courses of action. This has generated many interesting situations in history, and could do so in a campaign if handled with proper care and forethought.

Hope this helps!

hong

WotC's bitch
Tratyn Runewind said:

The original Paladins were the Knights of the Palace, or Knights Paladin for short, the twelve Peers of Charlemagne. Roland and Ogier the Dane are the only two I can remember off the top of my head. If I remember correctly, the D&D Paladin class was inspired a great deal by the character Holger Carlsen in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. I'll also note here, as I think I did in the previously-menitoned thread on Dirty Harry, that the D&D paladin class involves an explicitly religious component. They are holy warriors, and non-holy warriors like Dirty Harry or Batman don't fit the mold for me, no matter how Lawful Good they might be. Even among the Arthurian knights, only Galahad and maybe Lancelot are potential paladins to me. And Lancelot falls before the story ends.

It's only a long-standing convention among many D&D players that paladins must be holy warriors. Even the 3E rules themselves don't require this; all that matters is that they be devoted to righteousness. Righteousness may overlap with religion, but it certainly isn't the same thing. Certainly not to me, at any rate.

Let's take a character like Ogier the Dane (or Holger Carlsen in _Three Hearts and Three Lions_), who you say is a quintessential paladin. I don't think there's anything about what Ogier fundamentally represents, that revolves around religion as such. In the stories he fights for Christianity and makes war on infidels, but that's more an artifact of how Carolingian society viewed religion as an inseparable part of the national identity.

As I see it, Ogier (and Roland, and Galahad, et al) is basically becomes a warrior who fights for righteousness, as viewed through that particular lens. In other words, he encapsulates the heroic ideal, as that ideal was seen by the society of the time. Therefore, only if the society that you want to portray in your game views religion like the Carolingians did, should you assume that the religious component is an essential part of paladinhood. I would bet that most D&D campaigns don't meld religion and society in this way. In this case, there's no reason for paladins in such societies to be particularly religious either.

The Orthodox Christians, who had previously demonstrated their willingness to live under Islamic domination, were indeed spared. For their willingness to cooperate, they were returned Christian holy places which had been taken over by Latin Christians under the Crusader regime. Latin Christians had to pay ransoms to escape, and most of those who failed to pony up were sold into slavery. This highly profitable "sparing" hardly consitutes evidence of great magnanimity to me. Rather reminds me of a mugger who might leave his victims enough for bus fare home...

Here comes the great difficulty of judging historical characters by modern standards. No-one, I think, disagrees that ransoming captives is wrong today. By the standards of the time, however, what Saladin did was praiseworthy, certainly to the Christians themselves.

Recall also the context in which the recapture of Jerusalem occurred. The Crusaders had carried out murderous purges in the cities they captured, driven out most of the Muslims, and set up effectively an armed occupation. All this occurred barely 88 years ago, so it would have been quite understandable had Saladin replied in kind. The fact that he didn't is what cemented his reputation in Palestine and abroad.

Indeed, your comment about a mugger leaving his victims enough for bus fare home is remarkably apt. From the Muslim point of view, the Crusaders were the muggers, and Saladin was liberating territory taken from them unjustly (anyone who believes the First Crusade was anything more than a political play and a land grab is naive). You've just applied the metaphor to the wrong side. :)

Last edited:

GrimJesta

First Post
Yea, Green Knight scared me with that post. I chose to pretend it wasnt there so I could retain what little sanity I have left.

-=grim=-

MaxKaladin

First Post
hong said:
Indeed, your comment about a mugger leaving his victims enough for bus fare home is remarkably apt. From the Muslim point of view, the Crusaders were the muggers, and Saladin was liberating territory taken from them unjustly (anyone who believes the First Crusade was anything more than a political play and a land grab is naive). You've just applied the metaphor to the wrong side. :)

Of course, they themselves had gotten the land by taking it from the Byzantine (Roman) Empire. (who had conquered it from someone else et cetera ad nauseum.) Let's not forget that the Byzantines originally invited the crusaders in as a desperate attempt to stop the Moslem armies that kept nibbling away at their territory. The first crusade was a land grab alright, but only prompted by another land grab on the other side. I don't think either side had or has any right to portray themselves as the "good guys" in this fight.

A more apt metaphor is the mugger and the victim's supposed rescuer getting into an argument over who gets to keep the loot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases