Threatened squares for a large creature riding a huge mount wielding a reach weapon

Ok, so, help me out. If a large creature (Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.) was riding a huge mount (Space/Reach: 15 ft./10ft.) and was wielding a lance (Reach weapon), what exactly would his threatened area look like? Please use code tags to monospace a diagram, like so:

Code:
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO
OO-----OO
OO-XXX-OO
OO-XXX-OO
OO-XXX-OO
OO-----OO
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO

Key:
X : Occupied square
- : Unthreatened/non attackable square
O : Threatened/attackable square

The above diagram is what I hypothesize *might* be the case, but I am not sure. For one thing, since the mount takes up a 15ft x 15ft square, are there ANY squares next to him that he doesn't threaten? Also, does the fact that he is a large creature make the reach on his lance (usually a 5' extension) longer? I am quite unsure of these things, so any help is appreciated.

Diirk

First Post
Code:
ooooooooooo
ooooooooooo
oo-------oo
oo-------oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo-------oo
oo-------oo
ooooooooooo
ooooooooooo

He takes on his mounts size/facing and a reach weapon double his normal reach... but his normal reach becomes unattackable for him. So he threatens at the 15-20 ft range but not the 5-10ft.

Dimwhit

Explorer
I don't think you're right. I believe you take the 10' square the rider and mount occupy, then you threaten any square within 10'. The mount's reach is irrelevant in regards to the rider's attack/reach. At least I think so.

Edit: Oops, I didn't realize the mount took a 15' square. He'd threaten 10' out from that 15' occupied space.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Code:
---ooooo---
-ooooooooo-
-o-------o-
oo-------oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo--xxx--oo
oo-------oo
-o-------o-
-ooooooooo-
---ooooo---

Should be like this. The rider shares the space of the mount. So the space is 15 foot (3 squares) wide. And the large creature is using a reach weapon. He has 20 foot reach and cannot attack something within 10 foot. The result should be the same as "Huge (Long) with reach weapon" in P.308 of the DMG.

Creat

First Post
I can only hold up my "what Diirk said"-sign :)

The reach of the mount IS irrelevant here. a) because it's the same as the riders and b) because it only affects where the mount can attack (they can both attack in one round, but not the same enemy since the mount threatens the exact squares the rider does not)

Shin Okada

Explorer
I am not using the mount's reach. I am still using the large rider's reach (10 ft., 20 ft. with a reach weapon).

Don't forget the rule when counting diagonal (5/10 rule). In case of a creature wielding a reach weapon with 10-foot reach, the creature can attack something 2 squares away even diagonally. That is an exception. And that exception is applied only for 10-foot reach. See the diagram in DMG P.308-310 of the DMG. When counting 20-foot reach (even if it is achieved by a reach weapon), you still use 5/10 rule.

Thanks for all of the responses. It has been mentioned that since the mount threatens the area that the rider doesn't, it is impossible for them to attack the same target in the same round. A question I have is: What if a ride-by attack is used? In that case, it is possible for both the rider AND mount to bring a target within reach, as the mount continues moving after the charge. Can both attack the same target, in this case?

kjenks

First Post
Knowledge Sinkhole said:
Thanks for all of the responses. It has been mentioned that since the mount threatens the area that the rider doesn't, it is impossible for them to attack the same target in the same round.

No, the mount can attack and move (even a 5 ft. step) then the rider can attack. If the mount takes only a 5 ft. step, they both get a full attack.

BTW, the rider could threaten more squares if he wears armor spikes or a spiked gauntlet. Nowhere near as good as a lance, but nice for a back-up.

Knowledge Sinkhole said:
A question I have is: What if a ride-by attack is used? In that case, it is possible for both the rider AND mount to bring a target within reach, as the mount continues moving after the charge. Can both attack the same target, in this case?

The Main 3.5e FAQ question about Ride-by Attack vs. Fly-by Attack makes it clear that the mount does not get to attack on a RBA. This contradicts my view of the PH rules since it's the mount making the full-round Charge action and the rider just gets one attack (then the RBA feat lets them move after the attack), but I'll accept the FAQ rule.

Remove ads