Review: Shards of Heart

Crothian

First Post
Shards of the Heart

Coming up with NPCs is one of the least fun aspects of d20. And as the levels get higher the complexity of the characters increases. Each additional level adds more feats, skill points, and choices. When one adds to that the personality and background of the NPC it can really take a bit of time to to create them. That is where Shards of the Heart comes in. It is a collection of NPCs already defined and stated out.

Shards of the Heart is a new PDF by Tabletop Adventures. These guys seem determined to make the job of a DM easier. Their few products deal with time saving descriptions of places so the DM can spend time creating other things. This list book of NPCs is ninety three pages long, and the layout and art are both pretty good. The PDF has book marks but it would have been helpful if they also included classes and levels in the book marks. As they have it they just have the characters names. In addition to the PDF collection of all the stats and the backgrounds of the character one also gets actually character sheets of the NPCs that are ready to be printed it. This also makes the product ideal if one has the need for regenerated characters for a one shot adventure like most conventions have.

Shards of the Heart is a collection of about two dozen different NPCs. Each NPCs of course has a name and the class and levels. But they also have example narratives for introducing the character. These narratives are highly descriptive capturing both the look and personality of the character. Then the text gives a written description and full personality of the character. Lastly the character is given his/her motivation, background, and a few plot hooks. All of this is before one gets to the actually stats of the character. Each character has about two pages of this material and another page of just the stats. There is a large variety of characters but not ever possibility is presented. For instance there are no barbarian or dwarf characters. But there are plenty of human and half elves and bards and NPC classes. These characters are very good for role playing and are not created to be the most powerful at their levels. Some of the class combinations are not the best in terms of power but offer great and interesting characters. There are no characters with prestige classes. The levels of the characters vary quite a bit. There is a first level commoner and the highest level one is a ninth level sorcerer cleric.

Overall I am pleased with the characters in the book. They are designed more to help out with the fully fleshed out NPCs then the minor guards and servants the players will run into. The adventure hooks make them easy to use and give the DM plenty of great ideas to draw upon.

shilsen

Adventurer
Crothian said:
So, do people use these books of NPCs?

Never. I don't think I've ever used a pre-generated NPC, whether from a book or a computerized NPC generator or some such. I much prefer creating my own and it's never been a time problem for me. Considering some of the complaints I've seen on these boards, however, I'm sure many people will benefit from such products.

Turjan

Explorer
Crothian said:
no one else uses NPCs???
I do. I also liked 'Enemies and Allies', despite its errors. I'm not in need of any books about low level NPC's anymore, as I have already a few others :).

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
A question, Crothian. From the product description:
In keeping with a release date just before Valentine's Day, we have developed a group of human, elven and half-elven characters who are suitable for romantic diversions or liaisons. Should you have an adventurer who is looking for a little romance, now you have a resource to help you get started.
I know the folks at TableTop were really focusing on this aspect, thus the name of the product itself, yet the review makes no mention of your thoughts on this driving feature of the product and what sets it apart from other NPC books. Did you have any thoughts related to the "romantic" aspect of the book?

Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
well, like most books I never read product descriptions. I perfer to have my first impression be opening the files.

Yes, there is this aspect and I don't mind it. It is all role playing to me so I really didn't think it too odd. Maybe its Blue Rose getting to me after diving in that one last week. Ya, there is romance to be found for characters here but it is not limited to that and that aspect of the book does not have to be used at all for the book to be useful.

Crothian

First Post
I've actually had good use from Shards of the Heart. I've used a few NPCs and concepts from that book over the past couple years. :D

Andre

First Post
Crothian said:
no one else uses NPCs???

I use NPC's from books constantly, but usually not for the stat blocks. I need evocative names, interesting RP traits, hooks, background, etc. I can do the mechanics in my sleep, but coming up characters who aren't just a variation of the same character...not if my life depended on it.

I've used 1,000 Faces, Enemies and Allies, several Necromancer Games modules, even old OD&D, 1E, and 2E supplements with npc's - since the stats are unimportant to me, I can pull from a lot of sources.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases