Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

Ignore Steverooo

Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

Ignore Steverooo
    In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    Dude!

I'm on it so that notices of responses will be emailed to me

Cheers,
    Gary

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Blog Entries
    D&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    Happy new thread, Gary! (wow, part 8... where does the time go?)

Gary, thanks to D&D you have introduced many of us - of not most of us - to an unforgettable experience:

The use of the d4 as a caltrop.

Many has been the time that I've got out of bed at night, only to suddenly feel something sharp and painful digging into my foot. If my mind worked faster at such times, I might have been calling down imprecations on your name, but as it doesn't the most I can normally manage is "Ow!" (or some choice swearing).

Could you please tell me if you had any idea what you were unleashing on the world when you included the d4 as part of the standard D&D game (and whether you've ever experienced this exquisite sensation yourself)?

Best wishes,
    Merric
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Visualising Combat in Dungeons & Dragons | Stealth in 5E | List of 5E Adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?
    Robilar was a Ranger at one point? Huh, I never heard that before. Is this info from Rob and/or Gary?

If he was a Ranger I assume he experienced normal penalties when he went to an Evil alignment (or even a Neutral one on his way out of Good).

Gray Mouser

I don't use any alignments in my game campaigns nowadays because the concept caused so much misunderstanding and confusion; but actions speak louder than words, and as clearly as words on character sheets

Cheers,
    Gary
    This is pretty interesting, Gary. Is this a fairly recent development or did you stop using Alignment (and I assume alignment languages) back in your TSR days? Any problems rear up when DMing or playing a traditionally alignment-bound class (viz., Paladins, Druids, Assassins, etc.)?

Personally, I never had a problem with alignments as I was a big Michael Moorecock fan (I also thought that the 9 alignment variations was a marked improvement over the L/C/N triad). I know some people don't like alignments, or try to use alignments that are some "realistic", e.g., Palladium's alignment system (at least the one it used to use, it's been a while).

Gray Mouser

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I got tired of having only basically good gnomes hanging around. I thought that the svirfneblin would add some spice to the otherwise dull race. Of course my gnome illusionist/thief PC was always trying to do much the same...
    Heh, any memorable escapades with your Gnome PC? What was his name, btw?

I always liked Gnomes, myself. Letting them be Illusionists was a great idea!

Gray Mouser

Hey gary, Did you roll up Bigby at first level and play him from the start? I heard a story which made it sound like Bigy was an npc that you charmed and later became your PC.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore dead

Greyhawk's demihuman (& monster) pantheons

Hi Gary,

In the back of UA there is an appendix with an example demihuman pantheon in it. Was this *officially* given the OK by you to become canon for the Greyhawk campaign?

I've got a feeling it wasn't. I felt that it was only an *example* pantheon presented in UA and it was only later (after you left) that TSR decided to make it GH canon.

If this is the case, did you have your own original thoughts on what the gods of the elves, dwarves, halflings, etc. should be? (And monsterkind.)

Certainly Lolth and Bibdoolpoop are your creations, so drow and kuo-toa are accounted for.

Perhaps you envisioned dwarves as just worshipping Ulaa and elves just worshipping Ehlonna? Or are the gods as presented in the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting just human gods?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore hero4hire
    My communities:

Mr. Gygax,

1st of all thank you for making a great game, and inspiring so many adventures for 28 of my 35 years.

My long-term gamer buddies and I (all veterans of OD&D) all joke about going through those old modules and running past the bad guy to look for something in his treasure that would be sure to defeat him. While we overexagerrate this point for laughs it does have some truth to it.
    Was this to get players to try to that very thing? Or perhaps some more sadistic purpouse? *smiles evilly*
    http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Filo_d%27Jorasco_(Hero4Hire)

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast