Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Steverooo

Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Steverooo
    In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?
    Robilar was a Ranger at one point? Huh, I never heard that before. Is this info from Rob and/or Gary?

If he was a Ranger I assume he experienced normal penalties when he went to an Evil alignment (or even a Neutral one on his way out of Good).

Gray Mouser

I don't use any alignments in my game campaigns nowadays because the concept caused so much misunderstanding and confusion; but actions speak louder than words, and as clearly as words on character sheets

Cheers,
    Gary
    This is pretty interesting, Gary. Is this a fairly recent development or did you stop using Alignment (and I assume alignment languages) back in your TSR days? Any problems rear up when DMing or playing a traditionally alignment-bound class (viz., Paladins, Druids, Assassins, etc.)?

Personally, I never had a problem with alignments as I was a big Michael Moorecock fan (I also thought that the 9 alignment variations was a marked improvement over the L/C/N triad). I know some people don't like alignments, or try to use alignments that are some "realistic", e.g., Palladium's alignment system (at least the one it used to use, it's been a while).

Gray Mouser

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I got tired of having only basically good gnomes hanging around. I thought that the svirfneblin would add some spice to the otherwise dull race. Of course my gnome illusionist/thief PC was always trying to do much the same...
    Heh, any memorable escapades with your Gnome PC? What was his name, btw?

I always liked Gnomes, myself. Letting them be Illusionists was a great idea!

Gray Mouser

Hey gary, Did you roll up Bigby at first level and play him from the start? I heard a story which made it sound like Bigy was an npc that you charmed and later became your PC.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Heh, any memorable escapades with your Gnome PC? What was his name, btw?

I always liked Gnomes, myself. Letting them be Illusionists was a great idea!

Gray Mouser
    The gnome illusionist/thief is named Snurri "Sharpnose." He had a good deal of enjoyment swiping the gains pocked by a halfling magic-user/thief played by my youngest son Alex. (Durned if I can recall Alex's PC's name, and he isn't here to ask. Probably the character sheet is lost after several years of non-use.)

Other than that, the two were active in some rural adventures and thwarted many the vile plans of marauding humanoids and humans as well.
    cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    This is pretty interesting, Gary. Is this a fairly recent development or did you stop using Alignment (and I assume alignment languages) back in your TSR days? Any problems rear up when DMing or playing a traditionally alignment-bound class (viz., Paladins, Druids, Assassins, etc.)?

Personally, I never had a problem with alignments as I was a big Michael Moorecock fan (I also thought that the 9 alignment variations was a marked improvement over the L/C/N triad). I know some people don't like alignments, or try to use alignments that are some "realistic", e.g., Palladium's alignment system (at least the one it used to use, it's been a while).

Gray Mouser
    Allow me to answer in this manner:

When players began to announce their character's alignment to other participants I shuddered. I suggested that such information was not for broadcast, that the PCs might not actually think of themselves as categorized thus, and the alignment categories were meant more to guide the player in playing his character in the game.

As for alignment language, I assumed that it was akin to Latin in regard to use. Clerics would be fluent in their use of their alignment language, the devout and well-educated nearly as able, and at the middle and lower end of the spectrum only rudimentary communications could be managed.

Somehow I supposed that DMs would arrive at similar conclusions unaided.

The Lejendary Adventure game uses Repute, Dark Repute, and Disrepute as pubicaly known measures of the characters' reputation. These generally equate to honorable, shady, and wicked.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Allow me to answer in this manner:

Somehow I supposed that DMs would arrive at similar conclusions unaided.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Assuming that the minds of 13 year old DMs would hold up to yours was an ambitious thought

We kinda glossed over alignment languages in my games. Wasn't really needed, therefore it wasn't missed.
    Erik

"Because the gods say so, and don't like pointy eared types with curly-toed shoes, squat miners with big beards, hairy-footed midgets, etc." - EGG

An Old School Establishment

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    Howdy Steveeroo!

First, I must say that Robilar was never anything other than a fighter.

The ranger's bonus of +1 damage per level was very annoying to me as the DM, but that encouraged the logical addition of damage for the big old giant class members, so that a couple of solid hits from a member of same could flatten the cheeky little ranger attacking him.

What the heck, though: clerics beat up on undead, rangers on giant class critters, and it's all in a day's adventuring. As should any DM, some of the kicked around thus will have special defenses and offenses devised to make life difficult for the bully PC

Cheers,
    Gary

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast