TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

And if I call a sheep's tail a leg does that make it a 5 legged sheep?
I guess you must of read a different set of books then I did, because the Vadhagh, where most assuredly wiped out because they lacked drive. never seeing family for years at a time because they felt no need as the had an extreme life time, look at how long Corum took to prepare for his trip, he was rushed to get out the door in a months time. If they had had a different culture, and drive, then they would of been better prepared, and able to mount a Resistance, instead of being eliminated one castle at a time. It was their culture that set them up for the fall.
Now I ask again Why are you arguing, if you aren't aren't; happy with the rules then change it. Why does the the whole world have to revolve around you, and what you think is logical?

Ken

Storm Raven said:
What you call a demi-human is not necessarily indicative of what they are. Corum is an elf, because his race fits the classical "elven" traits of our mythology (mostly the Sidhe myth). And humanity overhwlems his race because of the change in the cosmological nature of the multiverse, not because they lack drive.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Storm Raven said:
Thus far, no one has asserted any logic, thus there is no logic to like or understand. There is only an assertion of arbitrary fiat. I don't believe this to be the actual answer. Because if it is, then that is the earmark of someone who didn't actually do the thinking behind the design. Which I am not convinced is true.

No, my question is aimed at what went into the decisions. The given answers don't match the given reasons. Therefore, they don't add up, and hence, as ultimately entirely unsatisfying, giving more credence to some theories about the early development of the D&D game that are less than flattering to some in attendance here. I don't believe those are true, therefore, the actual answers cannot be the ones handed about here.

Just some quick points. We are talking about the designing of a GAME, correct? If the internal logic of the game is not logical in the view of some, does that lessen the game?

If the designing force behind D&D gives you answers that you don't agree with, does that make you right and him wrong? I'd have to take EGG's word on HIS reasoning more then yours. Nothing personal, but I would expect EGG has more of an idea of his own thoughts then you.

If the logic doesn't suit you create your own. The game is meant to be played... play it the way YOU want it to be played. If it was meant to be debated one of the "D"s in D&D would have to be renamed ;)

Last edited:

Brentos

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I think a thief would be easy, and the temple of whatever non goody-goody deity would likely praise his generous contrbutions--all taken from non-believers, of course;)

Cheers,
Gary

Bwahahah! I love this idea! You've just created a whole organization for me of religous thieves! This fills a hole in my adventure! My hat off to the master!

I love questions people have for you regarding how/why things were created/decided, and become annoyed when they then argue with you about your choices (it's one thing to question, but to continually pound on answers already given gets annoying. I've always seen D&D as a toolbox for running a fun game. When you are good enough to understand how the toolbox works, you are more then free to tinker with it, just don't blame the creator when you break it! :)

BTW: I think Knights in chess should go 3-4 squares forward only, because a horse in real life wouldn't be able to make 90 degree turns. Stupid creators and their lack of logic! :)

gideon_thorne

First Post
Storm Raven said:
Thus far, no one has asserted any logic, thus there is no logic to like or understand.

This is not quite true. What 'logic' was asserted had to do with internal logical consistency of a basic premise or theme emphasised behind the rules. This theme asserted the dominance of the human being. One way the designers felt this was acomplished was by level limits.

Clearly, others may disagree with this being the 'best' method. An entirely subjective stance I might add. But the logic for the inclusion does exist. Its just that a few dont agree with the logic, so they apply their own logic, and change it.

And on another note. Its very easy to look back on the origins of a game and find plenty of 'illogic' in comparison to the differing logical paradigm of today. They call this 20/20 hind sight. But, in the design of the original dungeons and dragons game, one has to consider it in the context of the time. It was the new kid on the block, it was the only one of its kind so it had no 'precident' to follow. And quite obviously we are dealing with a differing cultural and philosophical mindset then as compaired to now.

Its all a matter of 'frame of reference.'

To use a wargamer frame of reference. Its easy for the arm chair general to look at miniatures of a historical battle and postulate 'what they would have done' in their play acting game. But the people getting blown up in an actual battle don't generally have the gift of forsight into the future. They cannot look into the mind of some nebulous historian (who clearly has too much time on their hands if they are playing with toy soldiers) and suddenly know 'what they should have done.'

The original designers of the dungeons and dragons rpg made certain decisions based on what they felt worked. Its as simple as that. :)

gideon_thorne

First Post
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Now Pete, if you keep making sense like that, what will we ever do. :)
ken

*grinz* I dunno? Hopefully something more constructive that involves initiative and individual creative problem solving? Maybe I'm reaching here? ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
Given the stuff they were on... Would they care? :cool:

thugs worshipped Kali, didn't necessarily ue any drugs, but strangled, robbed, broke the dead victims' bones to make the bodies compact, then buried them under the dirt tracks that were commin in India then. The deaths were to honor the goddess...

It does give one some thoughts about the benefits of playing in an alignment-less system. Something to be said about all sides believing they are right. Then again, When playing a game, a lot of people (me included some of the time) like the option of a black and white world, when one can make sure he's on the right side with the casting of a low-level spell.

I don't use any alignments in my game campaigns nowadays because the concept caused so much misunderstanding and confusion; but actions speak louder than words, and as clearly as words on character sheets ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads