TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Brentos said:
Bwahahah! I love this idea! You've just created a whole organization for me of religous thieves! This fills a hole in my adventure! My hat off to the master!
Having been at game design for sbout 40 years now, I am still amazed at how little I really know, how much just sort of comes from what seems an interesting idea to me based on what I've read about or heard, what I imagine i'd have fun playing.

I love questions people have for you regarding how/why things were created/decided, and become annoyed when they then argue with you about your choices (it's one thing to question, but to continually pound on answers already given gets annoying. I've always seen D&D as a toolbox for running a fun game. When you are good enough to understand how the toolbox works, you are more then free to tinker with it, just don't blame the creator when you break it! :)
Arguing about how a game should operate is useful only in pre-publication stage :eek:

It is indeed quite proper to alter any game to suit your taste and that of your associates engaged in playing it. Some rules additions are so good they become standard fare, such as placing money paid because of Chance and Community Chest cards in Monopoly on "Free Parking" to be gained by whichever player lands on that space. the poorly conceived game alterations aren't known bercause they are rapidly sent to the trash...

BTW: I think Knights in chess should go 3-4 squares forward only, because a horse in real life wouldn't be able to make 90 degree turns. Stupid creators and their lack of logic! :)
Logical the move isn't, but what a great concept. Even the Japanese kept it in part) for the knights in their national game, shogi. I like the courier chess rule that gives the king one knight's move instead of castling, and a piece cmbining the moves of a king and a knight is deadly! Not that i love chess and its variants... :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Steverooo

First Post
In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Happy new thread, Gary! (wow, part 8... where does the time go?) ;)

Gary, thanks to D&D you have introduced many of us - of not most of us - to an unforgettable experience:

The use of the d4 as a caltrop.

Many has been the time that I've got out of bed at night, only to suddenly feel something sharp and painful digging into my foot. If my mind worked faster at such times, I might have been calling down imprecations on your name, but as it doesn't the most I can normally manage is "Ow!" (or some choice swearing).

Could you please tell me if you had any idea what you were unleashing on the world when you included the d4 as part of the standard D&D game (and whether you've ever experienced this exquisite sensation yourself)?

:D

Best wishes,
Merric

Gray Mouser

First Post
Steverooo said:
In 1e, Gary, did you ever find the Ranger's +1 HP/level damage bonus to "Giant-class Creatures" to be a problem, at higher levels? (Sir Robilar, for example, was a Ranger, for a while, as was Ararat.) Did this cause problems, at higher levels? Would you change it, now?

Robilar was a Ranger at one point? Huh, I never heard that before. Is this info from Rob and/or Gary?

If he was a Ranger I assume he experienced normal penalties when he went to an Evil alignment (or even a Neutral one on his way out of Good).

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
I don't use any alignments in my game campaigns nowadays because the concept caused so much misunderstanding and confusion; but actions speak louder than words, and as clearly as words on character sheets

Cheers,
Gary

This is pretty interesting, Gary. Is this a fairly recent development or did you stop using Alignment (and I assume alignment languages) back in your TSR days? Any problems rear up when DMing or playing a traditionally alignment-bound class (viz., Paladins, Druids, Assassins, etc.)?

Personally, I never had a problem with alignments as I was a big Michael Moorecock fan (I also thought that the 9 alignment variations was a marked improvement over the L/C/N triad). I know some people don't like alignments, or try to use alignments that are some "realistic", e.g., Palladium's alignment system (at least the one it used to use, it's been a while).

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I got tired of having only basically good gnomes hanging around. I thought that the svirfneblin would add some spice to the otherwise dull race. Of course my gnome illusionist/thief PC was always trying to do much the same...

Heh, any memorable escapades with your Gnome PC? What was his name, btw?

I always liked Gnomes, myself. Letting them be Illusionists was a great idea!

Gray Mouser

dead

Explorer
Greyhawk's demihuman (& monster) pantheons

Hi Gary,

In the back of UA there is an appendix with an example demihuman pantheon in it. Was this *officially* given the OK by you to become canon for the Greyhawk campaign?

I've got a feeling it wasn't. I felt that it was only an *example* pantheon presented in UA and it was only later (after you left) that TSR decided to make it GH canon.

If this is the case, did you have your own original thoughts on what the gods of the elves, dwarves, halflings, etc. should be? (And monsterkind.)

Certainly Lolth and Bibdoolpoop are your creations, so drow and kuo-toa are accounted for.

Perhaps you envisioned dwarves as just worshipping Ulaa and elves just worshipping Ehlonna? Or are the gods as presented in the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting just human gods?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases