TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Gray Mouser

First Post
Gary, I have a question for you regarding combat, specifically the charge. IMO, it owuld seem that the only people being able to attack/get attacked at the end of a charge would be the first rank. However, I suppose it would be possible for the first rank to continue their advance (supposing they survived, that is) and the second and following ranks could attack as well. The DMG doesn't specify regarding this, saying simply that:

This action brings the charging party into combat on the charge round...(DMG, p. 66)

The following note on Melee at the End of Charge doesn't specify either. I was hoping you could give a young, non-war gamer a hand :)

Gray Mouser

Henry

Autoexreginated
Frank Mentzer said:
I *thought* my ears were burning.

Frank, thanks for stopping by on the forums, and don't be a total stranger! :) I've enjoyed your AD&D work for years, and I hope your business continues to go well.

Ourph

First Post
Hey Gary. I hope all is well with you.

I have been pondering over the question of what makes a "good" RPG player. Not necessarily what makes for a "skilled" RPG player, but what traits someone should have to make gaming with them a good and rewarding experience. There are a few obvious ones and some definite traits which would undoubtedly exclude someone from the ranks of good players, but I'd be interested in your views (and any tales you might have to relate) on what attributes a good player brings to the table.

And Frank, since you're here too, I'd love to hear your opinion as well.

Thanks both! :)

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Frank, it's good to see you here! Hope you'll continue to grace us with your wisdom.

Gary, I wanted to ask you about one of the recommended & inspirational authors in Appendix N of the DMG: Fredrick Brown. You didn't list any specific works by him, and the writing I know of his is either light comic SF like Martians, Go Home or mystery novels; neither seems directly relevant to D&D.

Were you thinking of stories Brown wrote in a more sword & sorcery vein, and if so could you give me some pointers where to look for it?

(On a related note, I just got my hands on copies of the Swords Against Darkness anthologies and discovered the Kardios stories by Manly Wade Wellman, which are a more direct D&D inspiration than the John the Balladeer tales he's better known for nowadays. Fun stuff!)

Zudrak

Explorer
Henry said:
Frank, thanks for stopping by on the forums, and don't be a total stranger! :) I've enjoyed your AD&D work for years, and I hope your business continues to go well.

I echo Henry's thoughts. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the boards, Frank.

Good luck with the bakery business, break an egg! :lol:

(I'll wait for the chorus of boos now..)

gideon_thorne

First Post
Zudrak said:
I echo Henry's thoughts. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the boards, Frank.

Good luck with the bakery business, break an egg! :lol:

(I'll wait for the chorus of boos now..)

Oooooohh.... Guess ya didn't get a rise out of that one?

yuk yuk yuk... :D

Steverooo

First Post
Yeah, I coulda been a baker... but I just couldn't raise the dough! (Ba-DUM-bum!) Then I thought, maybe I'll be a Doctor... but I just didn't have the patients. (Ba-DUM-bum!)

OW! That was 2/3 of a pun!... PU! (Ba-DUM-bum!)

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
:lol:

Ah, kids.

Gray Mouser
He comes by it naturally.

I double loaded a cigar of my father's, and it was a good thing for me that I was not around when the second one went off...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Gary, I have a question for you regarding combat, specifically the charge. IMO, it owuld seem that the only people being able to attack/get attacked at the end of a charge would be the first rank. However, I suppose it would be possible for the first rank to continue their advance (supposing they survived, that is) and the second and following ranks could attack as well. The DMG doesn't specify regarding this, saying simply that:

The following note on Melee at the End of Charge doesn't specify either. I was hoping you could give a young, non-war gamer a hand :)

Gray Mouser
Most RPGs are not meant to be cmbat suimulations, and that is true of AD&D.

A pike charge (advance at full formed movement rate) will have four ranks attacking the front rank of the defender. They will have four ranks countering if the defenders are likewise pikemen. Otherwise, the front rank attacks the front rank, with the charging attackers moving into space left by wounded/killed drfenders, and second rank attackers moving up as well to attack still standing defenders.

The rest really depends on the rules being used, return attacks and morale checjs.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
A pike charge (advance at full formed movement rate) will have four ranks attacking the front rank of the defender. They will have four ranks countering if the defenders are likewise pikemen. Otherwise, the front rank attacks the front rank, with the charging attackers moving into space left by wounded/killed drfenders, and second rank attackers moving up as well to attack still standing defenders.

Cool, that's pretty much how I ran things as the four PC's were being charged by a band of hobgoblins. I'm thinking things are looking grim for our heroes, currently, but I guess we'll see how they deal with over 2:1 odds :)

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads