TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Even though I don't take gaming or myself very seriously, many folks expect me to, so the name is meant to disabuse folks in reagrds my demeanor.

i always assumed exactly that, so i never asked. ;)

weasel fierce

First Post
Thank you much for your answer to the Monk question, and previous questions I have posted.
A few more to steal a bit more of your work time (Im hoping you work better under stress, what with all the questions you answer on here :) )

One of the interesting, if somewhat mismanaged, ideas of 2nd edition AD&D was the character kits, offering variants of the regular classes.

Have you, or did you, ever consider any such elements for oAD&D, or do you feel it is better handled simply through roleplaying and character description ?

It is hard to miss the Moorcock influence regarding law and chaos, which is further strengthened by things such as the temple of chaos, in the B2 module. Was this intended to be a line to be pursued, with law and chaos becoming definate elements (similar to Moorcock, or the Warhammer setting, by GW), or was it just intended as background material ?

What are some of the oddest, or funniest characters you have seen in games you have participated in, or DM'ed ?

Cheers!

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
weasel fierce said:
One of the interesting, if somewhat mismanaged, ideas of 2nd edition AD&D was the character kits, offering variants of the regular classes.

Have you, or did you, ever consider any such elements for oAD&D, or do you feel it is better handled simply through roleplaying and character description ?
Let me see if I can anticipate Gary's possible response: Really, the kits of 2nd edition were a different version of the sub-class system of AD&D. The best example is how they took the Cavalier class (I always prefered the cavalier to be a fighter sub-class as originally presented in The Dragon) and made it a "kit." Taken to its logical conclusion in 2nd edition, both the ranger and paladin should have been made into fighter "kits." Of course, this would have been really to recreate the sub-class system in all but name.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:

You'd have a right to be angry, but anything: module or sourcebook or otherwise; that falls into my hands is mine to do with as I please.
I have no right to be so much as mildly annoyed by what you find good in your campaign, amigo :cool:

All I can correctly state is what original intent was.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Now there's an idea! I hope the good Colonel doesn't slip any into Castle Zagyg (unless they were originally present; which I don't believe is the case) but if he finds himself with any free time and has nothing better to do a return to the lair of the Dark Elves for C&C would be a welcome addition!

You have nothing else going on, right Gary? ;)

Gray Mouser
Short answer:

I'll see about putting in an optional Drow Ambush scenario in the lower levels of the dungeons. that way all the PCs can be dragged deeper and sacrificed to Lolth :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Frank Mentzer said:
(The casual reader may not immediately perceive this to be a blatant obfuscatory feint.)

Early in our relationship I asked about terminology which arguably incommoded percipience. Gary's sagacious retort -- that "the readers can look it up" -- clearly defined the parameters of the campaign: style would not be sacrificed to specious arguments for marketability. A hard-boiled EGG you are, to be sure.

Gygaxian erudition may have contributed to the '80s boom in Dictionaries of Obscure and Preposterous Words, and I must blame (or credit) you for my study of same. And tho you have not oft employed dialects (certainly not avoiding same for plebian reasons of political correctness, I'm sure), they rest in an adjacent etymological niche.

But beware of Scots with cabers... and honor those who created shortbreads.
Gentle Fellows...

I rest my case, other that to add, Beware of Scotsmen, period :eek:

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:

This truly shows the insight Gary had into the nature of the game!
Appreciate the post, and I am sad to say that I did seem to have a good deal of prescience back then.

Cheers,
Gary

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Frank Mentzer said:
(The casual reader may not immediately perceive this to be a blatant obfuscatory feint.)

Early in our relationship I asked about terminology which arguably incommoded percipience. Gary's sagacious retort -- that "the readers can look it up" -- clearly defined the parameters of the campaign: style would not be sacrificed to specious arguments for marketability. A hard-boiled EGG you are, to be sure.

Gygaxian erudition may have contributed to the '80s boom in Dictionaries of Obscure and Preposterous Words, and I must blame (or credit) you for my study of same. And tho you have not oft employed dialects (certainly not avoiding same for plebian reasons of political correctness, I'm sure), they rest in an adjacent etymological niche.

But beware of Scots with cabers... and honor those who created shortbreads.

Thank you Frank a)for the version of D&D that I started with 1989 and b)for reminding me of something I had forgotten. And that was how much time I spent looking up words in Junior High so I could figure out what I was reading. Public education in Florida did not foster high-level reading skills, and D&D was...no IS the bst teacher I've ever had. :)

Note: there may be grammer and typos in this post, but that is because I type train of thought on message boards. :)

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Short answer:

I'll see about putting in an optional Drow Ambush scenario in the lower levels of the dungeons. that way all the PCs can be dragged deeper and sacrificed to Lolth :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Oh good. Advanced notice on what to sketch for later books :)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases