TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mark_j

First Post
Gary, I know you are not really keen about answering rules-specific questions, but I was hoping you would honor me with your input on this matter:

OAD&D surprise and missile weapon rate-of-fire:

Grognard the ranger is lying in wait for a group of 6 orcs. He has his trusty longbow at the ready. When the orcs come within short range of his bow, he leaps from cover and makes a successful suprise roll of 1 on the d6, giving him 1 segment of surprise. Now for the question: How many arrows can Grognard fire at the orcs in his surprise segment? Is it the rate of fire tripled as I interpret from the DMG (giving Grognard 6 shots and the opportunity to slay the entire party of orcs)? Or is the intended interpetation something else?

Thanks for your insight.

Mark

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me :uhoh:

Sounds good to me - you will, no doubt, rise as a demilich if any of these fabulous artifacts are disturbed :)

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
...There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me :uhoh: ...

That's a better idea than the funeral pyre a la "Rocket Gibraltar", I guess. Besides, all those books would take eons to burn out! :eek:

Of course, the crying of us gamers that lost said books would last even longer...

So, Gary, how goes the writing of our favorite castle?

Wolv0rine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me :uhoh:

Jesting, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

When the time finally comes (may it be far, far off) I think someone with loads of cash should build an E. Gary Gygax Museum designed with the Random Dungeon Generator from the 1E DMG. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mark_j said:
Gary, I know you are not really keen about answering rules-specific questions, but I was hoping you would honor me with your input on this matter:

OAD&D surprise and missile weapon rate-of-fire:

Grognard the ranger is lying in wait for a group of 6 orcs. He has his trusty longbow at the ready. When the orcs come within short range of his bow, he leaps from cover and makes a successful suprise roll of 1 on the d6, giving him 1 segment of surprise. Now for the question: How many arrows can Grognard fire at the orcs in his surprise segment? Is it the rate of fire tripled as I interpret from the DMG (giving Grognard 6 shots and the opportunity to slay the entire party of orcs)? Or is the intended interpetation something else?

Thanks for your insight.

Mark
No tripled fire. The ROF for a longbow is 2 per segment, so he looses two shafts, then might get off two more before the orcs can respond.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tav_Behemoth said:
Sounds good to me - you will, no doubt, rise as a demilich if any of these fabulous artifacts are disturbed :)
Heh...

Actually, I would be far more disturbed if the books are not used for some good purpose--information, reading enjoyment, whatever ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
That's a better idea than the funeral pyre a la "Rocket Gibraltar", I guess. Besides, all those books would take eons to burn out! :eek:

Of course, the crying of us gamers that lost said books would last even longer...

So, Gary, how goes the writing of our favorite castle?
It goeth nowhere...

But I am doing well on a developmental edit of the third book in the Lejendary Earth world setting series, seeing to more volumes in the "Gygaxian Fantasy World" reference book line, as well as seeing to various other business concerns.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wolv0rine said:
When the time finally comes (may it be far, far off) I think someone with loads of cash should build an E. Gary Gygax Museum designed with the Random Dungeon Generator from the 1E DMG. ;)
Now there's an idea :lol: A subterranean fun house, where the "treasures" gained from succeeding in getting past the encounters would be viewing exhibits with my stuff on display, maybe a pic of the "victor" doing so as proof of success.

Cheers,
Gary

Krieg

First Post
Gary, there is an auction on eBay currently for what the purported first PHB ever sold.

The auction claims the following...

A unique item and a unique story! Tim Jiardini grew up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, home to TSR and the birthplace of Dungeons and Dragons. During the summer of 1978, Tim saved and scraped money together to buy the soon to be released Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Player's handbook. Having played D&D with TSR's Dungeon Hobby Shop, employee, Ernie Gygax Tim found out that the AD&D Player's Handbook would be available for the first time and exclusively at The Dungeon Hobby Shop in early August and later that month they'd be available at GenCon XI and around the country. Having testplayed both the Paladin and Ranger classes, Tim was ecstatic for the arrival of the new book.

The first morning the Player's Handbook went on sale, a Saturday, Tim arrived 45 minutes prior to the store opening. The door opened right on time and Ernie Gygax ushered the 14 year old Tim into the store. Ernie opened a box of the Players Handbooks and handed one to Tim. After counting out his money, Ernie handed over the book to Tim and said, "That's the first one ever sold!" Ernie then asked Tim if he wanted it autographed and that "his dad" was right upstairs! Soon Gary Gygax came down and inscribed the book, "The FIRST copy sold! To Tim Jiardini", and autographed it "Gary Gygax".

Is there any chance that you can confirm the validity of the story & the pedigree of the book in question?

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5173461823&fromMakeTrack=true

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
It goeth nowhere...

Aw, man. Is that because it's all done? :heh:

But I am doing well on a developmental edit of the third book in the Lejendary Earth world setting series, seeing to more volumes in the "Gygaxian Fantasy World" reference book line, as well as seeing to various other business concerns.

I am a big fan of the GFW reference books. I have 4 so far and they are great reads -- let alone great tools for the DM/GM/CK. Anyone who wants some serious assistance in bringing their campaign to life (like I did) would find them most useful.

My Castles & Crusades PHB should arrive tomorrow. I cannot wait. My next target purchase is the Yggsburgh resource for Castle Zagyg (*cough Greyhawk cough*).

How often do you and Rob Kuntz communicate regarding the CZ project?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases