TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Zudrak

Explorer
Question for Gary

Gary,

Besides the typical game-related paraphernalia (DM notes, maps, pictures of rooms a la "Tomb of Horrors" or the Barrier Peaks Expedition), have you used or do you use other props, etc. to accentuate your role-playing? I never have, but I was wondering if there was precedent for it.

Thanks!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Frank Mentzer said:
I *thought* my ears were burning.

Yah, we recently opened a second store in Wausau (central Wisconsin), and I've been to every GenCon (std & SoCal) since 1979. If you wanna talk auction, check the GenCon message boards at http://forums.gencon.com/

As far as gaming, well, it's sparse up here in the northwoods -- the nearest mall is more than 2 hours away -- but my weekly AD&D game (1e/2e with my BECMI liberally sprinkled thru) has been running every Tuesday night (almost) since May 1992.

FM

Another Welcome Mr. Mentzer. And your "BECMI", which I remember fondly from my youth, still has its many fans and not a few imitators...the War Machine from "C" being at least one that has been popular with D20 publishers.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
Any chance you would be able to revise the nomenclature in the novels to make them consistent with Greyhawk? I hope WotC will not complain if you manage to reprint the first two that were published under TSR' brand neither will ask you to take off the references to Greyhawk, like the latter ones.
That isn't exactly accurate. First, I own all the Gord material, including the two books published by TSR. Second, there was an agreement with TSR regarding use of names from their copyrighted work, and the wording is in the five later Gord novels.

That said, I have no interest in altering the names that appear in any of the seven books.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Gary,

Besides the typical game-related paraphernalia (DM notes, maps, pictures of rooms a la "Tomb of Horrors" or the Barrier Peaks Expedition), have you used or do you use other props, etc. to accentuate your role-playing? I never have, but I was wondering if there was precedent for it.

Thanks!

I usually don't use any other props, but once in a while I will slip something in if I think it will liven things up. The exploding scroll tube is a good example of what I mean.

Cheers,
Gary

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:
I usually don't use any other props, but once in a while I will slip something in if I think it will liven things up. The exploding scroll tube is a good example of what I mean.

Cheers,
Gary
Boy. Did that bring an evil grin to my face. My poor, poor players.

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:

Please tell me you have a good story behind that. I hope I didn't miss or forget it in Dragon... That sounds hilarious.

Captain NeMo

First Post
:eek: Wow, Gary Gygax...THE guy who seems to be, y'know the father of the D&D game. Kinda suprised he has time to answer questions on online forums...he must be the most in-demand DM ever. No questions from me (yet!) just thought i'd say hi to the coolest guy old enough to be a pensioner. Ever. :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Please tell me you have a good story behind that. I hope I didn't miss or forget it in Dragon... That sounds hilarious.

Well....

It's nothing arcane, just an actual wooden tube with an end you can rig so that something about as loud as a cap explored when the tube is opened. The joke backfired on me, though, as son Alex was aware of what I was up to, so he rigged the tube before I did. when I went to set it up...BANG! :]

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jodjod said:
:eek: Wow, Gary Gygax...THE guy who seems to be, y'know the father of the D&D game. Kinda suprised he has time to answer questions on online forums...he must be the most in-demand DM ever. No questions from me (yet!) just thought i'd say hi to the coolest guy old enough to be a pensioner. Ever. :p
I always thought Albert Einstein was the model for rockin' old dudes :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well....

It's nothing arcane, just an actual wooden tube with an end you can rig so that something about as loud as a cap explored when the tube is opened. The joke backfired on me, though, as son Alex was aware of what I was up to, so he rigged the tube before I did. when I went to set it up...BANG! :]

Heh,
Gary

:lol:

Ah, kids.

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads