Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 23




What's on your mind?

  1. #221
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    BOZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BOZ land
    Posts
    16,840

    Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    No matter the edition, someone puts in 10 years of dedicated gaming, and is still having at it and lovng it, that one is a grognard

    Cheers,
    Gary
    wow, i guess that would include me too, though just barely... (playing regularly since 1990 or so, but with a couple of decent sized gaps with no playing, though never going completely without collecting books or studying the hobby).
    don't quote me on that.

    I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

 

  • #222
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Garnfellow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,597

    Ignore Garnfellow
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer
    I *thought* my ears were burning.

    Yah, we recently opened a second store in Wausau (central Wisconsin), and I've been to every GenCon (std & SoCal) since 1979. If you wanna talk auction, check the GenCon message boards at http://forums.gencon.com/

    As far as gaming, well, it's sparse up here in the northwoods -- the nearest mall is more than 2 hours away -- but my weekly AD&D game (1e/2e with my BECMI liberally sprinkled thru) has been running every Tuesday night (almost) since May 1992.

    FM
    Great to hear from you, Frank. Do you still run an AOL Aquaria game? I used to enjoy reading the session transcripts, though that must have been ten years or so ago now.

    I just checked out your bakery's website. All butter? Right on!
    Best,

    Garnfellow

  • #223
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Ron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    653

    Ignore Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    [...]

    the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that. When I have, i'll then see about finding a publisher that would be interested in reprinting all seven of the books in hardback form. If those sell well, a new paperback edition can follow.
    [...]
    Cheers,
    Gary
    Any chance you would be able to revise the nomenclature in the novels to make them consistent with Greyhawk? I hope WotC will not complain if you manage to reprint the first two that were published under TSR' brand neither will ask you to take off the references to Greyhawk, like the latter ones.

  • #224
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Zudrak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Audubon, NJ
    Posts
    87

    Ignore Zudrak

    Question for Gary

    Gary,

    Besides the typical game-related paraphernalia (DM notes, maps, pictures of rooms a la "Tomb of Horrors" or the Barrier Peaks Expedition), have you used or do you use other props, etc. to accentuate your role-playing? I never have, but I was wondering if there was precedent for it.

    Thanks!
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

    Psalm 73:26

    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

    From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

  • #225
    5ever
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    TerraDave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A Nation's Capitol
    Posts
    7,074
    Gygax MagazineI Defended The Walls!

    Ignore TerraDave
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer
    I *thought* my ears were burning.

    Yah, we recently opened a second store in Wausau (central Wisconsin), and I've been to every GenCon (std & SoCal) since 1979. If you wanna talk auction, check the GenCon message boards at http://forums.gencon.com/

    As far as gaming, well, it's sparse up here in the northwoods -- the nearest mall is more than 2 hours away -- but my weekly AD&D game (1e/2e with my BECMI liberally sprinkled thru) has been running every Tuesday night (almost) since May 1992.

    FM
    Another Welcome Mr. Mentzer. And your "BECMI", which I remember fondly from my youth, still has its many fans and not a few imitators...the War Machine from "C" being at least one that has been popular with D20 publishers.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989

  • #226
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Any chance you would be able to revise the nomenclature in the novels to make them consistent with Greyhawk? I hope WotC will not complain if you manage to reprint the first two that were published under TSR' brand neither will ask you to take off the references to Greyhawk, like the latter ones.
    That isn't exactly accurate. First, I own all the Gord material, including the two books published by TSR. Second, there was an agreement with TSR regarding use of names from their copyrighted work, and the wording is in the five later Gord novels.

    That said, I have no interest in altering the names that appear in any of the seven books.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #227
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    Gary,

    Besides the typical game-related paraphernalia (DM notes, maps, pictures of rooms a la "Tomb of Horrors" or the Barrier Peaks Expedition), have you used or do you use other props, etc. to accentuate your role-playing? I never have, but I was wondering if there was precedent for it.

    Thanks!
    I usually don't use any other props, but once in a while I will slip something in if I think it will liven things up. The exploding scroll tube is a good example of what I mean.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #228
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)



    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,791

    Ignore francisca
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I usually don't use any other props, but once in a while I will slip something in if I think it will liven things up. The exploding scroll tube is a good example of what I mean.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Boy. Did that bring an evil grin to my face. My poor, poor players.

  • #229
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Zudrak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Audubon, NJ
    Posts
    87

    Ignore Zudrak
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I usually don't use any other props, but once in a while I will slip something in if I think it will liven things up. The exploding scroll tube is a good example of what I mean.
    Please tell me you have a good story behind that. I hope I didn't miss or forget it in Dragon... That sounds hilarious.
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

    Psalm 73:26

    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

    From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

  • #230
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Captain NeMo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    193

    Ignore Captain NeMo
    Wow, Gary Gygax...THE guy who seems to be, y'know the father of the D&D game. Kinda suprised he has time to answer questions on online forums...he must be the most in-demand DM ever. No questions from me (yet!) just thought i'd say hi to the coolest guy old enough to be a pensioner. Ever.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 2234
      Last Post: Friday, 14th September, 2007, 02:06 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 01:24 PM
    4. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •