Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 24

+ Log in or register to post
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    Please tell me you have a good story behind that. I hope I didn't miss or forget it in Dragon... That sounds hilarious.
    Well....

It's nothing arcane, just an actual wooden tube with an end you can rig so that something about as loud as a cap explored when the tube is opened. The joke backfired on me, though, as son Alex was aware of what I was up to, so he rigged the tube before I did. when I went to set it up...BANG!

Heh,
    Gary

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodjod
    Wow, Gary Gygax...THE guy who seems to be, y'know the father of the D&D game. Kinda suprised he has time to answer questions on online forums...he must be the most in-demand DM ever. No questions from me (yet!) just thought i'd say hi to the coolest guy old enough to be a pensioner. Ever.
    I always thought Albert Einstein was the model for rockin' old dudes

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Well....

It's nothing arcane, just an actual wooden tube with an end you can rig so that something about as loud as a cap explored when the tube is opened. The joke backfired on me, though, as son Alex was aware of what I was up to, so he rigged the tube before I did. when I went to set it up...BANG!

Heh,
    Gary

Ah, kids.

Gray Mouser

Gary, I have a question for you regarding combat, specifically the charge. IMO, it owuld seem that the only people being able to attack/get attacked at the end of a charge would be the first rank. However, I suppose it would be possible for the first rank to continue their advance (supposing they survived, that is) and the second and following ranks could attack as well. The DMG doesn't specify regarding this, saying simply that:

This action brings the charging party into combat on the charge round...(DMG, p. 66)
    The following note on Melee at the End of Charge doesn't specify either. I was hoping you could give a young, non-war gamer a hand

Gray Mouser

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer
    I *thought* my ears were burning.
    Frank, thanks for stopping by on the forums, and don't be a total stranger! I've enjoyed your AD&D work for years, and I hope your business continues to go well.
    WAAAAAGHUST!

Hey Gary. I hope all is well with you.

I have been pondering over the question of what makes a "good" RPG player. Not necessarily what makes for a "skilled" RPG player, but what traits someone should have to make gaming with them a good and rewarding experience. There are a few obvious ones and some definite traits which would undoubtedly exclude someone from the ranks of good players, but I'd be interested in your views (and any tales you might have to relate) on what attributes a good player brings to the table.

And Frank, since you're here too, I'd love to hear your opinion as well.

Thanks both!

Frank, it's good to see you here! Hope you'll continue to grace us with your wisdom.

Gary, I wanted to ask you about one of the recommended & inspirational authors in Appendix N of the DMG: Fredrick Brown. You didn't list any specific works by him, and the writing I know of his is either light comic SF like Martians, Go Home or mystery novels; neither seems directly relevant to D&D.

Were you thinking of stories Brown wrote in a more sword & sorcery vein, and if so could you give me some pointers where to look for it?

(On a related note, I just got my hands on copies of the Swords Against Darkness anthologies and discovered the Kardios stories by Manly Wade Wellman, which are a more direct D&D inspiration than the John the Balladeer tales he's better known for nowadays. Fun stuff!)
    Currently Kickstarting Domains at War & playtesting it in an ACKS after-school class.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Zudrak
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Frank, thanks for stopping by on the forums, and don't be a total stranger! I've enjoyed your AD&D work for years, and I hope your business continues to go well.
    I echo Henry's thoughts. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the boards, Frank.

Good luck with the bakery business, break an egg!

(I'll wait for the chorus of boos now..)
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    I echo Henry's thoughts. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the boards, Frank.

Good luck with the bakery business, break an egg!

(I'll wait for the chorus of boos now..)
    Oooooohh.... Guess ya didn't get a rise out of that one?

yuk yuk yuk...
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

° Ignore Steverooo
    Yeah, I coulda been a baker... but I just couldn't raise the dough! (Ba-DUM-bum!) Then I thought, maybe I'll be a Doctor... but I just didn't have the patients. (Ba-DUM-bum!)

OW! That was 2/3 of a pun!... PU! (Ba-DUM-bum!)

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast