Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 25




+ Log in or register to post
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 404
  1. #241
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser


    Ah, kids.

    Gray Mouser
    He comes by it naturally.

    I double loaded a cigar of my father's, and it was a good thing for me that I was not around when the second one went off...

    Cheers,
    Gary

 

  • #242
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Gary, I have a question for you regarding combat, specifically the charge. IMO, it owuld seem that the only people being able to attack/get attacked at the end of a charge would be the first rank. However, I suppose it would be possible for the first rank to continue their advance (supposing they survived, that is) and the second and following ranks could attack as well. The DMG doesn't specify regarding this, saying simply that:


    The following note on Melee at the End of Charge doesn't specify either. I was hoping you could give a young, non-war gamer a hand

    Gray Mouser
    Most RPGs are not meant to be cmbat suimulations, and that is true of AD&D.

    A pike charge (advance at full formed movement rate) will have four ranks attacking the front rank of the defender. They will have four ranks countering if the defenders are likewise pikemen. Otherwise, the front rank attacks the front rank, with the charging attackers moving into space left by wounded/killed drfenders, and second rank attackers moving up as well to attack still standing defenders.

    The rest really depends on the rules being used, return attacks and morale checjs.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    A pike charge (advance at full formed movement rate) will have four ranks attacking the front rank of the defender. They will have four ranks countering if the defenders are likewise pikemen. Otherwise, the front rank attacks the front rank, with the charging attackers moving into space left by wounded/killed drfenders, and second rank attackers moving up as well to attack still standing defenders.
    Cool, that's pretty much how I ran things as the four PC's were being charged by a band of hobgoblins. I'm thinking things are looking grim for our heroes, currently, but I guess we'll see how they deal with over 2:1 odds

    Gray Mouser

  • #244
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourph
    Hey Gary. I hope all is well with you.

    I have been pondering over the question of what makes a "good" RPG player. Not necessarily what makes for a "skilled" RPG player, but what traits someone should have to make gaming with them a good and rewarding experience. There are a few obvious ones and some definite traits which would undoubtedly exclude someone from the ranks of good players, but I'd be interested in your views (and any tales you might have to relate) on what attributes a good player brings to the table.

    And Frank, since you're here too, I'd love to hear your opinion as well.

    Thanks both!
    A most subjective question...

    About all I care to venture here is that a good RPGer has the following traits:

    Extroverted in regards playing
    Knowledge of the genre and his character's role
    Playing to have fun with comrades
    Pays attention to the GM
    Knows and enjoys many things outside of gaming

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #245
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tav_Behemoth
    Frank, it's good to see you here! Hope you'll continue to grace us with your wisdom.

    Gary, I wanted to ask you about one of the recommended & inspirational authors in Appendix N of the DMG: Fredrick Brown. You didn't list any specific works by him, and the writing I know of his is either light comic SF like Martians, Go Home or mystery novels; neither seems directly relevant to D&D.

    Were you thinking of stories Brown wrote in a more sword & sorcery vein, and if so could you give me some pointers where to look for it?

    (On a related note, I just got my hands on copies of the Swords Against Darkness anthologies and discovered the Kardios stories by Manly Wade Wellman, which are a more direct D&D inspiration than the John the Balladeer tales he's better known for nowadays. Fun stuff!)
    Sorry,

    But I refuse to go into the basement and search the stacks there for old Fredic Brown paperbacks Thinking back some 35 years or so, I seem to recall a book he wrote, a compilation of short stories titled Nightmares & Geezenstacks.

    "John the Balladeer"? Ah, you are referring to Wellman's Odd John protagonist

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #246
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Extroverted in regards playing
    Knowledge of the genre and his character's role
    Playing to have fun with comrades
    Pays attention to the GM
    Knows and enjoys many things outside of gaming
    To be sure. By my lights tho I would put the "Fun With Comrades" first, emphasis on the With.

    When I started the RPGA I hoped that my new voting system would encourage higher quality play. I felt vindicated while observing an early Master's-level tournament game. An outstanding player portrayed his role, and then deliberately set up another player with a straight line -- saying clearly (to me at least) "Good gaming isn't hogging the action or the DM, Good Gaming is doing your best on a level playing field... there, I did my thing, so here: gimme your best shot, I'll beat you anyhow!" Great stuff. If everyone is having fun, it works. If someone's not, the experience is tainted.

    Frank

  • #247
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Semah G Noj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wi
    Posts
    53

    Ignore Semah G Noj
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer
    To be sure. By my lights tho I would put the "Fun With Comrades" first, emphasis on the With.

    When I started the RPGA I hoped that my new voting system would encourage higher quality play. I felt vindicated while observing an early Master's-level tournament game. An outstanding player portrayed his role, and then deliberately set up another player with a straight line -- saying clearly (to me at least) "Good gaming isn't hogging the action or the DM, Good Gaming is doing your best on a level playing field... there, I did my thing, so here: gimme your best shot, I'll beat you anyhow!" Great stuff. If everyone is having fun, it works. If someone's not, the experience is tainted.

    Frank
    And here I lived outside of Minnocqua for 2 years and shopped at your lovely bakery roughly once a month and never realized you were THAT Frank Mentzer...

  • #248
    Thanks Gary and Frank. Those are very interesting and thoughtful answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer
    "Good gaming isn't hogging the action or the DM, Good Gaming is doing your best on a level playing field... there, I did my thing, so here: gimme your best shot, I'll beat you anyhow!"
    I couldn't agree more. Being a good sport, IMO, is as important to being a good gamer as anything I can think of. Kudos to the fellow who inspired you to write that.

  • #249
    Colonel,

    I recently reread an old write up that Rob Kuntz did on Robilar. In it Rob lists Robilar's race/ethnicity as Oeridian. Did you ever determine which human ethnicity Mordenkainen and Bigby were? I know the gazeteer says that pure racial stock in the Flanaess is pretty rare for humans, but I was just curious.

    Gray Mouser

  • #250
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Colonel,

    I recently reread an old write up that Rob Kuntz did on Robilar. In it Rob lists Robilar's race/ethnicity as Oeridian. Did you ever determine which human ethnicity Mordenkainen and Bigby were? I know the gazeteer says that pure racial stock in the Flanaess is pretty rare for humans, but I was just curious.

    Gray Mouser
    Actually, no, I never really worried aboiut the ethnic origination of my human PCs. I would assume that Mordenkainen would be mainly of Oeridian stock and that Bigby is from Flan-Suloise background.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 2234
      Last Post: Friday, 14th September, 2007, 02:06 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 01:24 PM
    4. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •