Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 26

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore MrFilthyIke
    Quote Originally Posted by Semah G Noj
    And here I lived outside of Minnocqua for 2 years and shopped at your lovely bakery roughly once a month and never realized you were THAT Frank Mentzer...
    Life's funny like that. If we knew then what we know now and all that.
    That dot com thing is killing inspirational speech. 'I have a dream.
    For more on my dream, go to martinlutherking.org/mountaintop.'
    - John Stewart

Oh angry mob, is there any problem your wisdom and torches can't solve?
    - John Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Sorry, But I refuse to go into the basement and search the stacks there for old Fredic Brown paperbacks Thinking back some 35 years or so, I seem to recall a book he wrote, a compilation of short stories titled Nightmares & Geezenstacks.
    That's plenty to go on, thanks! What a great title - I can't wait to hunt it down.

If it makes you feel better on those occasions when your basement floods and you have to go sump it out, keep it in mind that the stacks therein are a trove of wondrous treasures which will be cherished by future historians!
    Currently Kickstarting Domains at War & playtesting it in an ACKS after-school class.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tav_Behemoth
    That's plenty to go on, thanks! What a great title - I can't wait to hunt it down.

If it makes you feel better on those occasions when your basement floods and you have to go sump it out, keep it in mind that the stacks therein are a trove of wondrous treasures which will be cherished by future historians!
    Heh...

There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me

Jesting, of course.

Cheers,
    Gary

Gary, I know you are not really keen about answering rules-specific questions, but I was hoping you would honor me with your input on this matter:

OAD&D surprise and missile weapon rate-of-fire:

Grognard the ranger is lying in wait for a group of 6 orcs. He has his trusty longbow at the ready. When the orcs come within short range of his bow, he leaps from cover and makes a successful suprise roll of 1 on the d6, giving him 1 segment of surprise. Now for the question: How many arrows can Grognard fire at the orcs in his surprise segment? Is it the rate of fire tripled as I interpret from the DMG (giving Grognard 6 shots and the opportunity to slay the entire party of orcs)? Or is the intended interpetation something else?

Thanks for your insight.

Mark

There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me
    Sounds good to me - you will, no doubt, rise as a demilich if any of these fabulous artifacts are disturbed
    Currently Kickstarting Domains at War & playtesting it in an ACKS after-school class.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Zudrak
    ...There are books stacked in ther attic, first floor, ground floor, and the basement here. Some belonged to distant cousins, some to close relatives, but the majority are those i have acquired. My wife suggests the lot might be donated to a special library after I shuffle off this mortal coil. I think I should have a large pyramid burial with all my stuff packed inside with me ...
    That's a better idea than the funeral pyre a la "Rocket Gibraltar", I guess. Besides, all those books would take eons to burn out!

Of course, the crying of us gamers that lost said books would last even longer...

So, Gary, how goes the writing of our favorite castle?
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Wolv0rine
    Heh...

Jesting, of course.

Cheers,
    Gary
    When the time finally comes (may it be far, far off) I think someone with loads of cash should build an E. Gary Gygax Museum designed with the Random Dungeon Generator from the 1E DMG.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_j
    Gary, I know you are not really keen about answering rules-specific questions, but I was hoping you would honor me with your input on this matter:

OAD&D surprise and missile weapon rate-of-fire:

Grognard the ranger is lying in wait for a group of 6 orcs. He has his trusty longbow at the ready. When the orcs come within short range of his bow, he leaps from cover and makes a successful suprise roll of 1 on the d6, giving him 1 segment of surprise. Now for the question: How many arrows can Grognard fire at the orcs in his surprise segment? Is it the rate of fire tripled as I interpret from the DMG (giving Grognard 6 shots and the opportunity to slay the entire party of orcs)? Or is the intended interpetation something else?

Thanks for your insight.

Mark
    No tripled fire. The ROF for a longbow is 2 per segment, so he looses two shafts, then might get off two more before the orcs can respond.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tav_Behemoth
    Sounds good to me - you will, no doubt, rise as a demilich if any of these fabulous artifacts are disturbed
    Heh...

Actually, I would be far more disturbed if the books are not used for some good purpose--information, reading enjoyment, whatever

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    That's a better idea than the funeral pyre a la "Rocket Gibraltar", I guess. Besides, all those books would take eons to burn out!

Of course, the crying of us gamers that lost said books would last even longer...

So, Gary, how goes the writing of our favorite castle?
    It goeth nowhere...

But I am doing well on a developmental edit of the third book in the Lejendary Earth world setting series, seeing to more volumes in the "Gygaxian Fantasy World" reference book line, as well as seeing to various other business concerns.

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast