Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 28

What's on your mind?

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

most OD&D-specific monsters were not included in AD&D until rather late in the 2nd edition. i suspect this was intentional on the part of Gary and others, to keep OD&D with its own identity. the designers in the later part of 2E, and even moreso 3E had no such qualms about keeping things like that separate.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Nathan P. Mahney
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Indeed, my influence on you has been bad if you have ended up as a freelancer in gaming--sure starvation
    Well, I'm more into writing fiction than gaming stuff, though I'm working up to that. I can't quite wrap my head around the finer points of the d20 system, though. I just about had it sorted when they changed the rules on me...

That's not something i keep track of. To me the loss of a PC is either well-deserved in the case of bad play or else very sad when the character was well-played but fate was against that one.

The one PC death I remember vividly is whan my own, Yrag, threw himself on his sword because of wretched DMing. The direction was so terrible that I was willing to never play again in a campaign run by that individual. The two other players with PCs took Yrag's corpse with them, had him raised despite my protests.
    LOL! You probably would have appreciated the rule in 3e that lets your soul refuse resurrection.

"Bugger off! God's against me, and he's a crap DM!"

What's so bizarre about a ghoul troll?
    Hee, only a gamer...

They just are not in ther general undead pantheon, if you will, but they make great monsters that paralyize and regenerate and are much tougher to turn that are ghouls or even ghasts.
    Aha, you've just made this beastie sound a thousand times cooler than it ever did in the game! In the rulebook I read (Moldvay D&D) it's described as a cross between a ghoul, a hobgoblin and a troll. The hobgoblin bit must have thrown me. Now I'm itching to send one of these against the party.

Asked and answered many a time, even in this chapter of the Q&A thread, but I'll do so once more. Auf Switzer Deutsch the name is pronounced as "Ghe-gox." My branch of the family has Americanized it to "Guy-gax."
    Sorry! I realised this must have been asked before, but I didn't see it in my skim of this very thread, alas. I have to ask, though, is the second G hard or soft? I have the sinking feeling I've been mispronouncing your name for the last 17 years...

Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    most OD&D-specific monsters were not included in AD&D until rather late in the 2nd edition. i suspect this was intentional on the part of Gary and others, to keep OD&D with its own identity. the designers in the later part of 2E, and even moreso 3E had no such qualms about keeping things like that separate.
    I don't know about this, actually. I didn't see "Thoul" in any of the OD&D booklets (granted I did a quick skim not an indepth search).

As far as I know they appeared in the Moldavay edition of Basic D&D, although I could certinaly be wrong in this regard. As for OD&D specific monsters not making it into AD&D until much later in 2e, a quick perusal of the OD&D booklets reveals the following monsters that made their way into the 1e Monster Manual:

Invisible Stalker
    Beholder
    Liches
    Umber Hulk
    Displacer Beast
    Blink Dog
    Hell Hounds
    Rust Monster
    Stirges
    Owl Bear
    Carrion Crawler
    Gelatinous Cube
    Intellect Devouerers
    Mind Flayers
    Su-Monster
    Thought Eaters
    Aquatic Elf
    Sahuagin
    Eye of the Deep
    Ixitxachitl
    Locathah

That's a pretty fair number, imho, and doesn't include things such as the various Demons, Elves, etc. to which EGG gave his own personal stamp.

Gray Mouser

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

i don't know how many of those appeared in the original original OD&D (1974, diaglo time) before 1E OAD&D, but i know that there are a fair number of overlapped creatures from AD&D and basic D&D, which systems debuted at very close times to each other.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    i don't know how many of those appeared in the original original OD&D (1974, diaglo time) before 1E OAD&D,
    All of them, which was kind of my point. The Thoul, as far as I know, debuted in the Moldavay Basic set. At least I haven't found it in my perusal of the OD&D pamphlets, anyway.

but i know that there are a fair number of overlapped creatures from AD&D and basic D&D, which systems debuted at very close times to each other.
    Right, but not the Thoul...

Gray Mouser

Ignore Krieg
    All I can say is that I know Tim Jardini. I'll send the URL of this thread to my son Ernie to see if he can confirm or deny the authenticity.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks! I'm sure the info would be a big help for the folks on the board who have expressed interest in the book.
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Geoffrey
    My communities:

Gary, how far do you think that a RPG can be modified and yet still remain the same game? I've seen, for example, many published "magic systems" out there that purport to be able to replace the magic systems in various FRPGs. So, if someone were using the Lejendary Adventure rulebooks to run a game, and kept the basic structure intact (combat, movement, character creation, etc.), BUT replaced LA's entire magic system with that of another, would you still consider it LA? Or would it be another game?

Of curiosity, as it appears you have made somewhat of a move from rules-heavy (or maybe more accurately, heavily defined, such as AD&D and Mythus), to light and rules-easy (your own D&D game, you speak of, as well as LA).

Did anything in particular bring around this change, or was it always there, and you just offered more detail for those who wanted (enough rope to hang from..)

It is sort of interesting, as I have known many gamers go through seemingly the same phases. First they play the basics, then they add tons of detail, options and "crunch", and eventually many fall back to a "barebones" gaming approach.

Cheers
    Ivan
    oD&D inspired RPG rules. Be part of the playtesting process!

Caverns&Cavaliers

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    Gary, how far do you think that a RPG can be modified and yet still remain the same game? I've seen, for example, many published "magic systems" out there that purport to be able to replace the magic systems in various FRPGs. So, if someone were using the Lejendary Adventure rulebooks to run a game, and kept the basic structure intact (combat, movement, character creation, etc.), BUT replaced LA's entire magic system with that of another, would you still consider it LA? Or would it be another game?
    Any substantial change--combat system or magic system--makes the game entirely different in regards its play, even though legaly it is a deravitive of the original.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    All of them, which was kind of my point. The Thoul, as far as I know, debuted in the Moldavay Basic set. At least I haven't found it in my perusal of the OD&D pamphlets, anyway.

Right, but not the Thoul...

Gray Mouser
    Pardon...

The thoul was listed in the encounter tables of OD&D but nowhere described

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast