Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII - Page 30

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Elton
    Gary,

1st. I was looking through the D&D Cyclopaedia, and I noticed that gem dragons were a fixture for D&D. Did you like the "old" versions of Gem Dragons?
    Well, as that isn't my work, I can't comment. I never used gem dragons at all, you see

2nd. I've also noticed that I can get inspiration for campaigns from anywhere. I was thinking of doing a bibical movie epic-style campaign (drawing on the worlds of Ben Hur and Ruth, with a lot of influence from Clash of the Titans [I highly recommend this movie for your five year old, everyone!]). What I'm wondering is beside literary sources, did you take any inspiration from Celluoid Films and T.V.?
    Absolutely, as the Isle of the Ape module should indicate The written word has always been my main source for inspiration, but I too find it in many places, including film, television, and real-life experiences.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    Uh... I retract my earlier statment.

I'm free Saturdays if you want to dictate over the phone. I type pretty fast for a guy! That could cut down your keyboarding. Then you could dictate from your porch while you sip some tea and catch some rays. Just a thought...
    Free?

I am never free, always EXPENSIVE!

I appreciate the offer, and I once did a lot of dictation, but never for creative work.

If you ever had the change (ill fortune) to be around and watch me at work on a module project, you'd see how I create a map, indicate encounters thereon, write some details the latter, then add to map information, revise encounter details, and so forth. It always amazes me how I can forget to put in necessary information in each encounter, even when I have done fo for the first dozen, so that I discover in checking #13 that I omitted something that should have been supplied to the GM.

It is so tedious to remember all the minor, but necessary, details. how I do enjoy winging a dungeon crawl with nothing but a map and the sort of encounter noted, creating all the other details on the spot!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too...
    Well Dang!

Henry, you've caught me dead to rights, having fun instead of a-workin'

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Zudrak

Hear! Hear!

Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too...
    Henry and Gary,

I could not have said it better myself. I agree with Henry's first statement there 100%.

Zudrak
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Heh, don't make me choose!

I think it's great that Gary spends time talking with the fans but boy am I looking forward to seeing Castle Z!

Gray Mouser

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Nathan P. Mahney
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    So your younger brother was the DM, right?

Nah, an old high school buddy ran us through it. We had absolutely no idea what we were in for at the time, and we did lose one of our long-time characters to the demilich, but I don't remember the experience being THAT difficult...

I borrowed the module afterwards and read through it, and thought, "Man, we sure dodged a bullet!" To this day the DM insists that he ran it as written, and I couldn't find any evidence to the contrary. It was just one of those days when every decision we made was the right one.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore oldschooler
    My communities:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10192

Are we close?

Quick question about the way you're currently running OD&D: Without concidering supplementary material, and after reading the FAQ from The Strategic Review; I tend to give every creature (PC, monster or otherwise) a number of attacks per round equal to their Hit Dice. This gives a Superhero 8 attacks, with a +1 on the last attack, etc.. Do you do the same?

Also: Do all of your OD&D games take place in/around Castle Greyhawk, or have you made many other dungeons (of like size) for your regular game?

Ignore Krieg
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    All I can say is that I know Tim Jardini. I'll send the URL of this thread to my son Ernie to see if he can confirm or deny the authenticity.

Cheers,
    Gary

BTW the alleged 1st PHB ended up selling for over $1.5k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Sir Elton
    Gary,

My cousin actually came by yesterday and traded me A1-4 and D1-3 today for one of my 3e books. I was reading "Vault of the Drow" and "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" and the first thing that threw me off was the layout. Actually, it's the only thing that threw me off.

http://www.rpgnow.com/products/WOTC/tsr9021.jpg

Still, I find it ironic that the drow (dark elves) became so attached to Lolth after that. My question is, did you ever plan a different series of Drow themed modules after this one?
    Civil Servant.

The Greek New World: An excercise in World Building.

If you live in Salt Lake City, I'm starting up a live Eberron game. Check this link on the Wizards Community site. You can also check here.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Ebay Auction Item

Krieg,

Here is what Ernie emailed in response to my query:

"Father it does sound like me breaking the rules and selling items before
    the chains could have them on the shelf. I liked Tim and would have
    thought up the gimmick of letting him have the 1st one sold! You don't
    know how hard it was to get $$$ out of Tim's hands and now it has come
    around for him as a fine investment (as well as all the play he received
    from it). The autograph does in fact look like yours and since we were at
    723 Williams St. it would have been just a walk up the stairs to get your
    official statement."

As for my part, I can say that surely is my sig

Consensus: This is the real thing.

cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast