Please help my character propose marriage properly to another character

Whimsical

Explorer
My character: He is a good social bard/rogue who is the inspirational leader of the party. Excellent Diplomacy and Oration, and is the master of ediquete and manners. Worshipper of God (a PC paladin that ascended to godhood three campaigns ago.) Athough he is the type of character that could have dallied with a unending line of women, he has not. Think Neutral Good Paladin.

My character's intended bethrothed: She is a Lawful Good cleric of God. Honrable, devoted, caring. A fine proper lady. Takes care of the party but loves to to beat on nasty monsters with her mace Overkill or with her spells.

Summarized history: my character joined the adventuring party months after they started. She was the party leader. After establishing myself with the party, I requested from her (then each member of the rest of the party) to be the party leader, which they have granted me. After adventuring nonstop for several months we are currently enjoying a break in a large city where we can finally buy and sell equiptment and enjoy the fruits of their labor. He has not indicated any special feelings for the cleric yet or made any romantic overtures, so this request should come as a surprise (although I have cleared it with the player first.) Since he has just realized that he wants to be with the cleric for the rest of his life, he will propose marriage. The player of the cleric has indicated that the cleric would seriously think about it, but my character needs to do it right.

What I need is help doing this right. I want to do this in a traditionally romantic manner. I want to have the words and methods ready for me to roleplay this all the way through. So, I need the Mrs. Manner's-approved method of courting.

My current plan is to buy an expensive engagement ring (yes, I know that this is a very recent tradition, but I believe that it will be expected by everyone there) and say somthing like the following...

"We have been through a very trying time during this last year since I have joined our group. During this time I have witnessed you at your best and at your worst, and I have become very attacted to you, although I haven't shown it because I didn't want to allow myself any favoratism in my leadership duties. But I have come to a point where I just can't hold back my feelings any longer. I love you very much. You are a very beautiful woman who has inspired me to do great things since I have known you. I have been in awe of your integrity, your strength of spirit, your boundless capacity to care about others, and your noble soul. The truth is that I never want to be without you, and I want to be your husband, and I want for you to be my wife. Wll you marry me?"

Ok. I like it. It seems really good to me. But could it be better? Did I forget to mention something important? What else should my character do on this day of proposal? If she accepts to be engaged with my character, what should I be doing during this courting period? What could I be doing that would make this engagement special?

In my mind, my character is the kind of person to be able to execute this kind of thing flawlessly. But I am not my character, and I don't want to put it to a dice roll. So, please help me bring honor to my character charisma and ediquette when I roleplay him.

Last edited:

Whimsical

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
How many EP's do you get for that? :confused:
Athough I haven't thought of it in those terms, my DM does grant bonus experience for roleplaying. So for creating this "roleplaying opportunity," I expect that I would get bonus experience points. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My half-orc in Sagiro's game is engaged to the party's other cleric. When I finally proposed, the group's dwarf objected that I hadn't gotten her drunk yet. :D

I'd recommend that you propose somewhere truly spectacular. . . the gates of hell, the elemental plane of air, in the middle of a battle to the death with a continuing enemy, someplace memorable like that.

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
How traditional?

Does the cleric have a father to ask permission to wed/court her? You might want to go out on a few chaperoned (sp?) dates to begin courting. Is she close to her church/temple? Might want to visit her church and make a donation and get in good with her church-in-laws.

Hopefully her father (if alive!) has some wealth (land, money, heirlooms) to provide a dowery (sp?) for her taking her off their hands!

Good luck!

Taren Nighteyes

shilsen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
...in the middle of a battle to the death with a continuing enemy...

That's how I'd do it. Imagine a suitably nerve-racking battle when the cleric is taking some significant damage from an enemy and the bard charges to the rescue, screaming, "Get away from my fiancee!" And then he looks at her stunned face over the body of the slain foe, turns all shades of red and says, "Errr, maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but..."

Awwwww!

Whimsical

Explorer
Taren Nighteyes said:
Does the cleric have a father to ask permission to wed/court her? You might want to go out on a few chaperoned (sp?) dates to begin courting....

Hopefully her father (if alive!) has some wealth (land, money, heirlooms) to provide a dowery (sp?) for her taking her off their hands!
Unfortuately, we are constantly on the run. Going back home is not an option unless we are able to kill of the entire elven race and their god (yeah, our game's epic.) I did the next best thing by asking the player of the character before having this come up in-game. :) My character will indicate that he wishes that he could petition her family for permission to join it, and if such an opportunity presents itself he will pursue it.

Although chaperoning is traditional, the fact is that we have been adventuring comrades for the last year so we have plenty of experience of being alone together, although I suppose without this particular context. I think that she can trust my character as he had demonstrated to be a principled and respectful man of his word. But it's up to her. My character will cheerfully go along with it. In fact, he will bring up the option himself.
Taren Nighteyes said:
Is she close to her church/temple? Might want to visit her church and make a donation and get in good with her church-in-laws.
Interestingly enough, she is having trouble with her church as she has been the victim of slander and a misconstrued revelation of events by another cleric. Something that the player is very frustrated with. But she still interacts with the clergy. My character will take her lead on the religious aspect of the marriage and learn from her what would be expected from him. She's the expert, after all.

Last edited:

Remove ads