ENnie 2005- Judge Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
ENnies 2005 Judge Voting

Voting for the five judges for the 2005 GenCon/ENnie Awards will start Monday, February 28th at 6am EST. Voting will close at midnight EST, Sunday, March 6th. Results will be officially announced Monday, March 7th.

Anyone interested in the position should speak up here and now. If you would like to nominate someone, you are welcome to do so, but they will not be included in the ballot unless they speak up and accept. During the nomination week, I heartily encourage any would-be judges to announce their qualifications, and answer any reasonable questions. Please be advised that any attempts at bribery or otherwise cajoling votes will result in your immediate disqualification and temporary ban from this site.

Requirements and Responsibilities of an ENnie Judge
1. You will help determine and define some of the categories in which products will be judged.
2. You will be responsible for the selection of the five finalists in each of the categories. In some cases, you may be responsible for selecting in which category a product is best placed (for example in cases where less than 7 submissions were received in a given category).
3. You will be consulted in aspects of ENnies planning- marketing, planning the ceremony, etc.
4. You must be able to enter into a legal agreement, thus you must be at least 18 years of age as of March 15th, 2005.

-Expect to be deluged with books and other products throughout April through June. You are required to evaluate each product, reading it through (or using it in the case of not-book submissions), and judging it fairly. Expect to dedicate at least two weeks of full-time reading and another week of deliberation.
-ENnie judges may be physically located around the globe. Please be advised that judges will be responsible for paying for any customs/duties on submissions.
-All judges will need to be able to participate in online discussions with the other judges during the deliberation phase. This means you must be able to log on to the ENnies board at least once a day to spend a few hours hashing out decisions with the other judges.
-One of the judges in the USA will be requested to act as Submissions Coordinator, acting as a central mailing location to which the publishers can ship their submissions. If you volunteer as SC, you'll receive additional perks.
-Attendance at GenCon Indy is not mandatory, but should you attend, semi-formal attire at the awards ceremony is expected of all staff- judges included. If you avail yourself of the free pass, you will be required to put in approximately 4-6 hours throughout the course of the convention at the ENnies booth.
-A judge may not have had an RPG product released during the span of the awards (June 1st 2004-May 31st 2005), regardless of whether it was submitted for consideration or not.

Judge Perks
-a free pass into GenCon Indy
-super cheap access to the ENnies block of hotel rooms
-piles of RPG books delivered to your doorstep

Since the ENnies are now open to all gaming systems (not just d20), a knowledge of other systems is mandatory. While it is impossible to expect a judge to enjoy a working understanding of every game system, we do expect judges to take the time to familiarize themselves with the basics of any submitted gaming system so it may be successfully evaluated. Familiarity with multiple systems is highly encouraged.

Although this is a volunteer position, we expect those selected to act responsibly and fairly. Any judge who is found to be cheating/accepting bribes or otherwise sundering the good name of the Awards will be removed and replaced immediately, and will bear the burden of paying for the shipping of the product to their replacement. An ENnie judge has every right to their own opinion, and has the right to express it, but must retain some sense of objectivity and fairness.

Best of luck to all who enter! Let the campaigning begin!

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS THREAD IS FOR NOMINATIONS ONLY. IF YOU WISH TO ASK NOMINEES QUESTIONS OR DISCUSS ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THE ENNIES, PLEASE DO SO IN THE ENNIES DISCUSSION THREAD HERE: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=121974

kthanksbye

Last edited:

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Well, I will toss my hat in yet again.

Anyways, qualifications-wise I have a Certificate of Technical Communication (Meaning I at least understand the core concepts of what a written Manual should look like).

I'm a staff reviewer here, so I am used to this kind of thing.

My Custom Title reads "ENnies Judge Template" (thanks PC)

And, I have been an ENnies judge every year there has been an ENnie awards (Oh Gawd! I'm an instituition).

I have tons of gaming experience in most any system you'd care to name as both a GM and a player.

Anyways, vote for me. Vote Early. Vote often:)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I, too, will be trying again this year. I've been fortunate enough to be an ENnie Judge the past two years. It is a lot of hard work; I don't think that can be stressed enough. Each of the past two years I've taken time off of work to read books. We do get that much material.

I've been the PDF reviewer for about a year and a half and I'm hoping that helps out like it did last year. We get a lot of PDF submissions and it really helps that I have read a lot of them through my reviews. I've been keeping up with more non d20 games this year as well. There has been a lot of really good books by a variety of companies this year so far. Hopefully, many of them will choose to participate and get the recognition they deserve.

I've been gaming for over 20 years. I've been a volunteer at many local Convention like Origins, Marcon, and Capcon, as well as organizing the first two Ohio Gamedays. I've played and ran a wide variety of systems as well as having an okay personel RPG Library. It can help when we get sourcebooks for games, and I want to reread the core rules for that game to bettter judge the sourcebooks.

Best of luck to everyone who tries this year, it is a fun and challenging experience.

Last edited:

Mixmaster

Explorer
Next up. Announcing myself: Mixmaster aka Leslie Foster

I have applied for this honor the previous 2 years (thank you for all the votes I've received so far. There weren't many, but I DO greatly appreciate....). I would also like to throw my hat in the ring for the SC position.

Qualifications:

Role Player since 1977. OD&D, T&T and The Fantasy Trip were my building blocks.

RPGA Judge since the beginning. Ghost Tower of Inverness was the first module I judged at a convention. Past Level - Grandmaster/Paragon. Current Level (after reorg) - Master.

GenCon Judge since 1980 (AD&D Open, Feature & Benefit adventures). Being going since 1978, I view GenCon as more than just a show, I plan my vacation around it.

Judged demos for Troll Lord, Necromancer and Citizen Games at Origins and GenCon.

Played and Judged many diverse systems (see below).
Fantasy: The above plus AD&D, 2AD&D and D&D3 / 3.5 (KoK, Core, Eberron), Rolemaster
Sci-Fi: Traveller, Space Ace, Space Opera, Star Trek
Horror: Cthulhu, Chill, Stalking the Night Fantastic
Super Hero: DC Heroes, Marvel, Villians & Vigilantes
Modern/Future: Top Secret, Aftermath, Twilight 2000, Timemaster
Other: Boot Hill, Man Myth & Magic, Daredevils

And many, MANY more.

I feel that these qualifications above show that not only I'm capable to read and consume many RPG's but, I am diverse and not settle for only one. Furthermore, I have brought new players into the fold nearly every year.

Lastly:

I work near the Penn Station P.O. in NYC, so shipping books isn't a problem (Open 24 hours).
I already have my ticket and hotel room, so it would save expenses for the commitee.
I would bring a shot of diversity. I am 1/2 Cuban, 1/2 African American (seeing that this is Black History month, and I've been to many shows and conventions where I'm the only one of my color sitting down, but I've welcomed and been welcomed to many many GREAT players and DM's).

Any questions, you can email me at mixmaster15 AT yahoo. Thank you for reading.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I was a judge in 2002, but haven't been able to run for the last two years due to writing and/or editing in the industry. I haven't done any professional RPG work in 2004, so I'll gladly put in my name!

I have extensive experience in proofing, editing and critical review. I've GMed for 20-odd years in more than a dozen game systems, both in my home game and for the RPGA as a paragon-lvl judge. More importantly, I have a deep and abiding appreciation for good game design and a product's actual utility. Sorting out the advantages and disadvantages of products is something I do on my own; being able to do so for EN World and the ENnies would be a joy.

In any case, folks, thanks for supporting and participating in the ENnies. This is one of the aspects of EN World that I've always been proud of, and it's fun to see it continuing.

Last edited:

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Well, I would like to nominate a couple of folks.

Teflon Billy already stole a march on me and volunteered, so I cannot nominate him.

The other two that I would like to nominate are....

Rel

Cthulhu's Librarian

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
Well, why not?

I'll volunteer.
Qualifications (since those seem to be taken seriously here):
B.Arts in History, Masters in Religious Studies
I write for a living (though not RPGs)
Varied life experiences (hehe)
would represent an international point of view (canadian/south american)
Decades of gaming experience, knowledgeable in every major system, both as player and GM.

I cannot be bought.

Hey, if nothing else, the ENnies with me as a judge would be entertaining ;)

Nisarg

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I'll put my name in again as well.

I've been an ENnie judge twice before.

I have quite a bit of gaming experience, both in D&D and a large number of other systems.

I'm a perfectionist, which helps to find errors. I'm not fanatical about it, though.

Maldur

First Post
I'll nominate myself.

I have been an ceramic Dm judge since forever.
I have knowledge of a great many gamesystem.
And I think there should be a bigger Europian voice in the Ennies.

Besides, I do need an excuse to attent to Gencon :)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Oh what the heck, I'll volunteer.

My qualifications?

I'm really, really picky about the d20 products I buy. So, I have a very disciminating eye.

I'm also a published d20 author - Bluffside, Artificer's Handbook, and a few other little things.

And I'm really freakin' opinionated. Piratecat can vouch for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads