Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Dude?

This guy's totally a cheater.

Whip up levels in Neverwinter Nights my left toe!

:D

All hail the DLA team!

Anyone who is unfamiliar with their work should totally check out the link in Robert's .sig - the DLA team is one of the most dedicated and talented mod groups in the NWN community. They're so good, in fact, that BioWare has contacted them regarding super-secret projects.

Seriously - check out their work.

NWN Board Vet,

Krieg

First Post
BTW was the D20 in the last pic glowing before the projector was turned on?

Just making sure it's not radioactive or possessed....I worry.

Steel_Wind

Legend
:D

While I have access to a lot of NWN art that most people don't have - the time and skill required to do stuff in the NWN toolset of the kind we are talking here is as easy as it gets. It's a touch more involved than MS Paint.

This is not scripting. This is paint down some tiles and dress it up with placeables. It's point and click map building. Art talent required is utterly nil.

Now - while I admit that good level design and lighting for building a CRPG module IS a skill, the effect you can get with stock NWN is available to everyone reading this.

It is not hard - and it only takes a few minutes to do. If fly by your pants gaming is your style - the toolset can accomodate that style without much more of a skip in action than you would require if you were drawing it out with overhead pens.

I can accompish in a few minutes with the Toolset what it would take me DAYS to do in Dundjinni.

My point: this is accessible technology that requires no particular l33t skillz.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Krieg said:
BTW was the D20 in the last pic glowing before the projector was turned on?

Just making sure it's not radioactive or possessed....I worry.

One of the guys was screwing around when that pic was taken. It was a crystal D20 on the table and he was shining a laser pointer at it. He thought it looked cool - we snapped the pic.

Zappo

Explorer
I think I've already seen this in another thread. It's so very cool. There are two main things that prevent me from considering it:

1) I don't use miniatures and I don't think I will. Currently, we use a whiteboard and dry-erase markers. I wonder if projecting over a whiteboard or plastic sheet would work...?

2) I use my laptop as a DM screen. I use it in game to view the adventure, the SRD, to keep notes, make rolls and all. I couldn't use to project maps.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Hopefully some local game stores will see this thread and construct similar setups in their game rooms. I could see something like this being very popular at stores that run HeroClix and etc. tournaments.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
That is awesome! So jealous now... :D

Your set-up makes me think we should try to introduce more technology into games. Have you thought about posting tips on a Web site for people interested in doing something similar as what you did?

Li Shenron

Legend
I am so envy :p We normally don't use minis at all, just markers on paper or not even them, but I would start using minis if I had the same installment here as you do, because visualizing the terrain is IMHO far more useful than visualizing the characters.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Crothian said:
Okay, you guys are in Toronto, the commute isn't that bad.....I can make it.

And if I swing by your place and pick you up, we can share the driving. It won't be bad at all.

Sadly, two of my players have never even sprung for a copy of the PHB, they'd never cough up the dough for a setup like this.

Remove ads